• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how come wicketkeepers average so low?

dass

Banned
in batting in ODIS i mean, i mean so many times they stay not out and many times they save the m

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because even with a load of 11*s all it takes is a few 3s and your average plummetts.

Batting in the lower-order (wicketkeeping is nouwt to do with it) is not an average-friendly thing, especially given the propensity to brainless batting we often see.

open365

International Vice-Captain
A) Not all of them avergae so low
B) It's because they have to be a wicket keeper as well generaly meaning they won't be as good a batsman

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... not neccessarily... the only definition of a "strike bowler" is one who bowls best in short spells. There are all sorts of bowlers of that nature with high bowling-averages.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why wicketkeepers average so low? Maybe they're not that good with the bat.

As Ian Botham said once (and many agree), the emergence of Adam Gilchrist has led to many teams to find an answer, and in the process they end up picking misfits, opening the batting with wicketkeepers or using batsmen to keep wickets. That question "Why do strike bowlers average so low" is quite valid. You can have four or five strike (and stock) bowlers, but only one wicketkeeper.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's been happening since long before Gilchrist.

The day of the non-batting (or not-much-batting - even the likes of David Bairstow, Paul Downton et al were picked for their batting) wicketkeeper was done in the late '80s, early '90s.

The last wicketkeeper I can think of with no real pretensions as a batsman was David Williams, and he didn't last long.