• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Fielding is the most important part of cricket"

Am i right or what

• Agree

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Disagree

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

open365

International Vice-Captain
Agree or disagree?

I'm sick of being told by people(especialy coaches) that fielding is the most important part of cricket, it's simply not true.

Now i know there isn't a MOST important aspect of cricket because batting and bowling are equaly important, but fielding is NOT the most vital skill not the aspect that makes the most difference to a side.

It's just a myth said by coaches to make you work harder in fielding drills.

Nishant

International 12th Man
it is an importnat part....but definitely not that important when compared to batting and bowling!

Just take the examples of current cricketers; Kaif, for india.....great fieldsman, but cant bat to save his life!

Raina; im not even gonna start with him!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
you can have the best fielding side...still ****e if you can't bat or bowl

although the game is 80% fielding, it is very important, but not the most important imo.
a good batting side, backed up by a very good fielding side, will make up for the average bowling side partly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Depends, if you mean catching (and I assume this is Test cricket, unless otherwise specificed), it is extremely important. If you mean outfield fielding, it's not as much.

50% bowling
35% batting
10% catching
5% outfielding

And yes, those are completely made up and completely arbitrary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Drop catches, lose (or don't win at best) matches. Simple as. That applies to any cricket.

Ground-fielding is overrated if you say "the best fielding side wins". Poor ground-fielding can lessen the impact of quality bowling (and it's deeply frustrating to me when it does, even if I'm not the bowler) but good fielding can't disguise poor bowling. Batting is an independent thing. The worse you field (and bowl), the better you have to bat.

But IMO nothing can make high emphasis on fielding a bad thing. If it means you have to use hyperbolic statements like "ground-fielding wins matches", so be it. Because poor fielding, as I say, especially catching, can lose it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's obviously not; the fact that Mike Young (generally regarded as the best fielding coach, I think) is an American from a baseball background proves that. It is , however, a very important adjunct to batting & bowling.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Eh? :huh::blink::confused::mellow::dontgetit

How on Earth does Mike Young's nationality mean anything?!?!?!?!?!
It doesn't in itself, the germane point was obviously that he's from a baseball background. Fielding, whilst important, isn't peculiar to cricket in the same way that batting & (particularly) bowling are, so cannot be said to be the most important part of the sport.

adharcric

International Coach
Let's just say (poor) fielding loses matches, batting gives you a chance to win matches and bowling wins matches. Never mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It doesn't in itself, the germane point was obviously that he's from a baseball background. Fielding, whilst important, isn't peculiar to cricket in the same way that batting & (particularly) bowling are, so cannot be said to be the most important part of the sport.
Well... no, it's not, but... how does not being peculiar to cricket make it less relevant?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well... no, it's not, but... how does not being peculiar to cricket make it less relevant?
I made no mention of relevancy; I was answering the question posed by open365: "Fielding is the most important part of cricket; agree or disagree?"

I disagreed.

There, all clear?

adharcric

International Coach
O...K...

Well ya coulda quoted me or summat. :dontgetit
First of all, you only mentioned fielding losing matches. Second, that was my own opinion. Third, not everyone examines your posts every time. Fourth, stop being annoying. :)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I made no mention of relevancy; I was answering the question posed by open365: "Fielding is the most important part of cricket; agree or disagree?"

I disagreed.

There, all clear?
First of all, you only mentioned fielding losing matches. Second, that was my own opinion. Third, not everyone examines your posts every time. Fourth, stop being annoying. :)
To the both of you...

OK... OK... OK...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Agree or disagree?

I'm sick of being told by people(especialy coaches) that fielding is the most important part of cricket, it's simply not true.

Now i know there isn't a MOST important aspect of cricket because batting and bowling are equaly important, but fielding is NOT the most vital skill not the aspect that makes the most difference to a side.

It's just a myth said by coaches to make you work harder in fielding drills.
Well, yes and no, I guess. I do agree it's said by coaches to make you work harder in fielding drills (in order to make you better fielders of course), but while it's not the most important part of cricket, I do believe it's a crucial aspect that can operate as a foundation on which to build success upon - just a part of the game that, when it's operating well, ensures that good bowling or opposition batsman's mistakes are capitalized upon and you get the full reward for your efforts. I think it gives bowlers confidence to know that they can rely on their fielders to snaffle up even tough chances, and it's probably good for bonding, too, in terms of developing trust in your team-mates. Quite a bit can flow from that.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Meh, it's important, but then so are the other aspects. Questions like this are unanswerable and part of the irrepressible human desire to put everything into tidy little categories.