• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Fielding is the most important part of cricket"

Am i right or what

• Agree

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Disagree

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

FRAZ

International Captain
Pak teams of late 80's and early 90's are the best examples of "fielding is not the most important ingridient of winning a match " ..............

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, not the most important part, but it can win or lose the game for you. It is the thing you'll be doing the most though, so get used to it.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
In ODIs it definately is important - those are matches where every run maters. In Test cricket catching is more important - if you drop, say Ponting for not very many and he goes on to make a hundred you can lose the match (i'm not talking about Ashley Giles but if the cap fits..) So i'd make a distiction between catching and groundfielding which the author did not.Mind you the reason the Pakistan side of the early 1990s were able to get away with poor fielding was because they had Wasim and Waqar who hit stumps and thumped pads with great regularity - thus dispensing with the need for good catching!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
In ODIs it definately is important - those are matches where every run maters. In Test cricket catching is more important - if you drop, say Ponting for not very many and he goes on to make a hundred you can lose the match (i'm not talking about Ashley Giles but if the cap fits..) So i'd make a distiction between catching and groundfielding which the author did not.Mind you the reason the Pakistan side of the early 1990s were able to get away with poor fielding was because they had Wasim and Waqar who hit stumps and thumped pads with great regularity - thus dispensing with the need for good catching!
Good post tbh. Dropping a tail ender in an ODI can be so much more costly than in tests, but at the same time, dropping Yousuf in tests is that much more costly than dropping him in ODIs.

pup11

International Coach
I think fielding is very important part of modern day odi cricket, as not only can good fielders save runs but also make a bowling attack look more potent. You can see the difference that the absence of ponting,clarke, and symonds in the field has made to australian performance off-late.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good post tbh. Dropping a tail ender in an ODI can be so much more costly than in tests, but at the same time, dropping Yousuf in tests is that much more costly than dropping him in ODIs.
As we've been finding-out... 2 or 3 times per Test... over the last 18 months...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I voted yes, but I meant no. :blink: :ph34r:

True, everyone has to field and not everyone has to bat and bowl in every game, but that doesn't mean fielding alone can win you a game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's absolutely massively critically important and it's something that my teams get banged into them repeatedly. I can't stand bad/half-arsed fielding - particularly at low levels, consistently aggressive and successful work in the field can turn junior games on their heads. U11 leagues are won by the sides who are the most alert (running between the wickets overlaps heavily with fielding sharpness at this age).

But it's not the most important part of cricket.