• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Non-Spamming Thread on the announcement of the greatest Aussie ODI team

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jack asked for it - Cricket Australia will annouce the greatest Australia ODI team drawn from the 163 players to have pulled on the pyjamas for Oz on 27 Feb, in the lead up to the WC.

As a PR gimmick a 30 strong "squad" was announced today, from which the team will be drawn. They are:
1. Terry Alderman
2. Michael Bevan
3. David Boon
4. Allan Border
5. Greg Chappell
6. Ian Chappell
7. Simon Davis
8. Adam Gilchrist
9. Jason Gillespie
10. Gary Gilmour
11. Matthew Hayden
12. Michael Hussey
13. Dean Jones
14. Brett Lee
15. Darren Lehmann
16. Dennis Lillee
17. Damien Martyn
18. Greg Matthews
19. Craig McDermott
20. Glenn McGrath
21. Tom Moody
22. Simon O'Donnell
23. Ricky Ponting
24. Bruce Reid
25. Paul Reiffel
26. Andrew Symonds
27. Doug Walters
28. Shane Warne
29. Mark Waugh
30. Steve Waugh

If I was choosing the XI, I'd have
Gilchrist
Mark Waugh
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Lillee
McGrath

Can't believe I can't find room in the team for Steve Waugh, but Symonds hitting ability, and genius in the field just has him shading Steve IMO. Tugga is definitely 12th man/supersub however. Probably a bit biased towards modern times, but I think the way ODIs were played in Chappelli and Walters day is so different from today's game that its hard to include them. Lillee gets in because his record is decent, and because there isn't really another bowler in the list who I think makes an ironclad claim for that spot.

Deplore the absence of Michael Slater and Mick Lewis from the squad however, tbh

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
If I was choosing the XI, I'd have
Gilchrist
Mark Waugh
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Lillee
McGrath

Can't believe I can't find room in the team for Steve Waugh, but Symonds hitting ability, and genius in the field just has him shading Steve IMO. Tugga is definitely 12th man/supersub however. Probably a bit biased towards modern times, but I think the way ODIs were played in Chappelli and Walters day is so different from today's game that its had to include them. Lillee gets in because his record is decent, and because there isn't really another bowler in the list who I think makes an ironclad claim for that spot.

Deplore the absence of Michael Slater and Mick Lewis from the squad however, tbh
Geez, hard to argue with your XI, to be honest.

Good work.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hayden should be there in the ODI team, averages almost as much as Ponting. He started off slow in the format, but over the past five years or so, he has been fantastic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Honestly, how stupid are people to mention names like Gilmour, Alderman, Chappell and Lillee in the same breath as Gilchrist and Gillespie?

Any fool could see that the game is not the same and should not be treated as such to what it was in the 1970s and 1980s.

Matt79

Global Moderator
The list was based on the votes of all the players who have received one day caps - I'd guess there'll be a large proportion who fall into the "rate your contemporaries above any recent players" trap...

Matt79

Global Moderator
Mark Waugh was a very good opener and a good partner for Gilly, plus a brilliant fielder and a handy bowler (mainly spin, but sometimes some medium pace) so he adds a bit more balance to the team than Hayden, but yeah, Hayden would be the next choice to partner Gilchrist.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The list was based on the votes of all the players who have received one day caps - I'd guess there'll be a large proportion who fall into the "rate your contemporaries above any recent players" trap...
That's certainly not my "trap" at all, if anything I'm the very opposite.

However, to deny that the ODIs in the 70s and 80s were different - not superior, not inferior - to ODIs of the 90s and 2000s is IMO pretty stupid. You need a separate vote for each era.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mark Waugh was a very good opener and a good partner for Gilly, plus a brilliant fielder and a handy bowler (mainly spin, but sometimes some medium pace) so he adds a bit more balance to the team than Hayden, but yeah, Hayden would be the next choice to partner Gilchrist.
IMO M Waugh >>>>> Hayden in ODIs. Purely as a batsman regardless of bowling and fielding.

Similarly, Slats >>>>> Hayden in Tests.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
IMO M Waugh >>>>> Hayden in ODIs. Purely as a batsman regardless of bowling and fielding.

It's debatable for M Waugh though I probably agree with you. Not so in Tests. Since 2000, after Ponting, Hayden has been the best batsman for Australia along with Gilly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Since 2001\02 more like.

Since - not coincidentally - bowling stocks went bare and pitches by-and-large became incredibly flat.

Slater was one of a tiny number of openers who succeeded by playing shots against the new-ball against broadly good attacks (Anwar and Fredericks are two others who immidiately spring to mind). Hayden has not, he's succeeded by being a flat-track bully in the most general sense of the word. As have quite a few others in the post-2001 era.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Since 2001\02 more like.

Since - not coincidentally - bowling stocks went bare and pitches by-and-large became incredibly flat.
You could say that about every player since 2001, including Ponting, Gilchrist, etc. Because if you say Hayden is a flat track bully, then surely Ponting, Gilchrist, Dravid, etc are all the same way.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member

Mark Waugh is certainly better than Hayden in ODIs, and pretty comfortably as well IMO.

Slater is not better than Hayden in tests. Slater was a good test opener, but that's it.

Anyway, the XI mentioned above is more or less perfect IMO. Could be a case for Steve Waugh because of his bowling, but Symonds and Mark can cover 10 overs, you'd imagine. And really, the only batsman spot that isn't 100% settled is Hussey's, and that's purely because he hasn't played that long. I don't think you can really leave him out. If there's no Hussey, you could probably slot Steve in at 6.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You could say that about every player since 2001, including Ponting, Gilchrist, etc. Because if you say Hayden is a flat track bully, then surely Ponting, Gilchrist, Dravid, etc are all the same way.
Ponting, Gilchrist and Dravid are certainly not flat-track-bullies - Gilchrist is not a top-order batsman, so a glaring weakness against quality seam (which he's hardly exhibited in the same manner as Hayden anyway) is not so significant.

Ponting and Dravid I certainly don't rate anywhere near as high as some do. Dravid, however, still averaged over 50 in the 1990s and 2000, so he's still a fantastic player. Ponting, though, is nothing more than a very good player. I find it totally inconceivable that he'd have averaged over 70 accross 5-and-a-half years had bowling-attacks not been so poor for most of that time. Sure, he'd probably have averaged more than the 40 he averaged in his first 5-and-a-half years, but I think to suggest the increase would have been so steep against better bowling is ludicrous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mark Waugh is certainly better than Hayden in ODIs, and pretty comfortably as well IMO.

Slater is not better than Hayden in tests. Slater was a good test opener, but that's it.
And Hayden's a flat-track bully. That's it.

Slater, on the other hand, actually played shots against the new-ball against good Test-match attacks and succeeded, something very few have done.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
And Hayden's a flat-track bully. That's it.

Slater, on the other hand, actually played shots against the new-ball against good Test-match attacks and succeeded, something very few have done.
Except he didn't. He hammered England all over the place and was nothing more than decent against other teams. Scored more than half his test centuries against England in fact, and made hardly any against the three great seam attacks he faced.

Anyway, either way, I think Hayden's a better test opener than Slater was, and he's generally underrated because his batting isn't as easy on the eye as others. Though he's hardly alone in the current era in being underrated as a batsman. Somewhat overrated in ODIs, but he's had some very good patches in that form too, like recently for instance.

Swervy

International Captain
That's certainly not my "trap" at all, if anything I'm the very opposite.

However, to deny that the ODIs in the 70s and 80s were different - not superior, not inferior - to ODIs of the 90s and 2000s is IMO pretty stupid. You need a separate vote for each era.
its just a bit of fun dont get hett up about it

Fiery

Banned
Honestly, how stupid are people to mention names like Gilmour, Alderman, Chappell and Lillee in the same breath as Gilchrist and Gillespie?

Any fool could see that the game is not the same and should not be treated as such to what it was in the 1970s and 1980s.
8-) Would you stop going on about that please Richard? The point of the thread is to name an ALL-TIME team. ODIs started in the early 1970s. Cricket hasn't changed beyond recognition since the 1980s like you like to tell us it has (ad nauseum). It's all limited overs cricket and there's nothing wrong with taking all players and eras into account when trying to select a team. Calling people "stupid" and "fools" for doing this is stupid and foolish in itself.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except he didn't. He hammered England all over the place and was nothing more than decent against other teams. Scored more than half his test centuries against England in fact, and made hardly any against the three great seam attacks he faced.

Anyway, either way, I think Hayden's a better test opener than Slater was, and he's generally underrated because his batting isn't as easy on the eye as others. Though he's hardly alone in the current era in being underrated as a batsman. Somewhat overrated in ODIs, but he's had some very good patches in that form too, like recently for instance.
Err, what? Slater averaged 48 against New Zealand, all but 50 against Pakistan, 43 against South Africa, 61 against Sri Lanka and 30 against West Indies when you exclude the final series. Seems like only one side got the better of him to me. So what if he happened to score half his centuries against England (who weren't always as poor as they were in 1993, y'know - although yes he missed the series against our best side of his career in 1997)? He still scored runs against others.