• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Non-Spamming Thread on the announcement of the greatest Aussie ODI team

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
8-) Would you stop going on about that please Richard? The point of the thread is to name an ALL-TIME team. ODIs started in the early 1970s. Cricket hasn't changed beyond recognition since the 1980s like you like to tell us it has (ad nauseum). It's all limited overs cricket and there's nothing wrong with taking all players and eras into account when trying to select a team.
There is (something wrong with it) and it has (changed beyond recognition). If you were accustomed to the ODI game as it was in, say, 1984, and you were pitched into a ODI in, say, 1999, you'd barely credit it as the same game. ODI-cricket has changed immesureably, in terms of Laws even, never mind conventions, and trying to group the two together is as ludicrous as trying to pick a combined team from 1902 and 1997.

Fiery

Banned
There is (something wrong with it) and it has (changed beyond recognition). If you were accustomed to the ODI game as it was in, say, 1984, and you were pitched into a ODI in, say, 1999, you'd barely credit it as the same game. ODI-cricket has changed immesureably, in terms of Laws even, never mind conventions, and trying to group the two together is as ludicrous as trying to pick a combined team from 1902 and 1997.
I know when I try and pick an all-time team I take into account factors such the player's stats, how the player compared to their peers at the time and what sort of standing they had in the game, regardless of the laws or conventions of the time. You are just pouring scorn on the idea of this thread to try and emphasise the same rather pedantic point that you have thrown up in many other threads.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know when I try and pick an all-time team I take into account factors such the player's stats, how the player compared to their peers at the time and what sort of standing they had in the game, regardless of the laws or conventions of the time. You are just pouring scorn on the idea of this thread to try and emphasise the same rather pedantic point that you have thrown up in many other threads.
Well I'm making a point that I think is relevant to the discussion at hand.

IMO you'd do well, if you're considering everyone who's played a ODI, to split the thing into 2 parts and pick 2 teams.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard, the argument that you raise (which has merits) isn't really relevant in this thread, because the topic at hand is a side that encompasses both "eras" of one-day cricket, thus discussing who people think will be named in that side need not be sidetracked by talk of picking two different teams.