• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Warne moment

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Coming back and bowling ridiculously well in Sri Lanka in 2004 is up there. 2005 Ashes, obviously. The final day in Adelaide last year. The tail end of the 1999 WC, also up there. And obviously his first test against England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Coming back and bowling ridiculously well in Sri Lanka in 2004 is up there. 2005 Ashes, obviously. The final day in Adelaide last year. The tail end of the 1999 WC, also up there. And obviously his first test against England.
Not to mention his 7th...

Although I find it fascinating that all bar one of the examples you list are from the 2nd half of Warne's career.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I certainly think he was a better bowler post-1998-2000 than before. Or maybe I just watched him more since 2000. The only blight is is record vs India, but other than that he has virtually no holes. Definitely one of the best ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Many are of the opinion that Warne's best days were 1993-1997.

And I have to say such a thing makes sense to me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know, I kinda gussed you did.

As I say - hardly suprising for a biased indian, now, is it. ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not to mention his 7th...

Although I find it fascinating that all bar one of the examples you list are from the 2nd half of Warne's career.
Television coverage of Warne's bowling was more consistent in the 2nd half of Warne's career, and availability of replays also. There's quite a lot of games in the first half that I've only seen once, and a few of the overseas tours before '97 or so I haven't seen at all. There's a number of other Warne achievements which rank with those I mentioned, like his bowling against Pakistan in '95 and against South Africa in '94, his first great test spell against the West Indies in '92, and so on. I just remember the later ones more clearly and I've seen them more times.

I think you also appreciate a great player a bit more when the clock is ticking on his career. It's about favourite moments after all, not best.

Anyway, I'd say Warne was probably a better bowler in terms of his ability to be totally unplayable in the early part of his career. He had variations and abilities that he couldn't match later on. He was a smarter and more resiliant bowler in the later part, though, and had just as much success.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not disputing any of that, all makes perfect sense, just as I say... found it interesting.