• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should aussies draft Gillespie in the WC squad?

pup11

International Coach
If lee doesn't make it to the world cup, should we take Dizzy gillespie to the world cup. I know that he hasn't set the world on fire in first class cricket but he is a experienced and economical bowler in odi's. I think he would be a better choice than an inexperienced fast bowler.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He's actually bowled really well in one dayers this season, particularly recently. Very economical. Can't see it happening though, it'll be Clark.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
He could be a possibility as I still feel he's a very decent bowler.Age is catching up with him but he could defiently do a job IMO

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Should they? IMO, yes they should. He's bowling with tremendous accuracy and is getting movement with the new ball. Should really be kept away from the death, but Clark is absolutely dire at the death anyway. He has a wealth of experience and his bowling form is second to none in List A cricket this season really - I'd select him in a heartbeat.

Will they though? I highly doubt it. It'll be Clark, especially given the media pressure for it to be so (as much as the selectors would like to think they can be impartial and ignore it, it surely is a factor) and Gillespie's initial big fat whinge about being left out of the preliminary squad. Picking Gillespie would be a huge admittance of a mistake - and one which hasn't really been given much media scrutiny as yet. I think it'd be Clark, with the outside chance of Hilfenhaus. I'd pick him Gillespie though, personally.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hilfenhaus has an outside chance but taking him and Tait might be deemed as to risky as they are both hughly inexperienced.Really impressed me in his one outing.Strong,good action and is a genuine swing bowler who bowls at a decent pace.

pup11

International Coach
One more reason i would pick dizzy is that, in case if lee doesn't play after McGrath the most experienced bowler in the squad is Hogg with 95 games which is really dire. Inexperience bowling would really hurt us in big games or crunch situations.
And clark and dizzy are both 31 so age should not be a criteria to leave out dizzy at all.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
pup11;1089653 And clark and dizzy are both 31 so age should not be a criteria to leave out dizzy at all.[/QUOTE said:
But is Dizzy any still good enough?.Anyone know of his one day stats for this year?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But is Dizzy any still good enough?.Anyone know of his one day stats for this year?
12 wickets @ 30.57. Amazingly though, his economy rate is just 3.41.

Stuart Clark, on the other hand, has 3 wickets @ 46.66 with an economy rate of 4.82. Not a good return...

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
edit: ^Where'd you get your figures? Going from the Cricinfo scoreboard live stats and CricketArchive, he has 9 wickets, not 12.
9 wickets at 32.88 in nine games. Doesn't seem that good at first glance, but he's been going at only 3.45 runs per over in those nine games. Also, in five of those matches he's gone for less than three runs per over, and he's taken a wicket in the first 15 overs in six matches, and taken a wicket within the first six overs four times.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
No. If he represents again, it will be in Test cricket. Quite obvious, I would have thought.

pup11

International Coach
I think all these humiliating defeats should knock some sense into the aussie selectors.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
especially given the media pressure for it to be so (as much as the selectors would like to think they can be impartial and ignore it, it surely is a factor)
Any selector who seriously claims he can and does ignore media pressure more than once-in-a-blue-moon is the biggest, fattest liar in history.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No. If he represents again, it will be in Test cricket. Quite obvious, I would have thought.
I think it's obvious, but it's certainly a shame, a massive shame. There are patently obviously bowlers infinately far less deserving who are in both current squads and current pictures (Tait, Johnson, Clark).

Gillespie not being even in the pre-30 was a joke of the Waugh-not-being-in-the-30 for the previous Cup standard.

pup11

International Coach
I think there were some scapegoats for the ashes loss in 05 like gillespie, martyn,kasprowicz,katich. All of these blokes got a chance but dizzy was discarded like a piece of trash, he never got a second chance and when he did get a chance finally in bangladesh, where he did bowl pretty well and even scored 200, and after that he was dropped again which is again a shame .