• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should aussies draft Gillespie in the WC squad?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Martyn, Kasprowicz and Katich certainly weren't scapegoats - Katich played Tests and ODIs immidiately after, and Martyn and Kasprowicz got Test recalls, while Martyn was never dropped from ODIs (though he retired from them because of something in Tests, the poor confused fellow) at any point.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah in reality Gillespie was the only scapegoat the others were just dropped for some games by the aussie selectors just to show how concerned they were about ashes loss.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He could be a possibility as I still feel he's a very decent bowler.Age is catching up with him but he could defiently do a job IMO
He's basically the same age as Clarke - just alot more experienced.
Nowhere have I heard the assertion that 25 (at the time of this post) is the same age as 31 (at the time of this post)! :p

Now if you were talking about Clark... 5 months, after all, is all the separates them...

cover drive man

International Captain
If lee doesn't make it to the world cup, should we take Dizzy gillespie to the world cup. I know that he hasn't set the world on fire in first class cricket but he is a experienced and economical bowler in odi's. I think he would be a better choice than an inexperienced fast bowler.
I agree but I also think lee should go.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
Would be awesome if Gilliespie came back, if not I say get Warney up off his couch and tell him to start warming up.

pup11

International Coach
Lee has been given some extra time to recover and show to his injury progress, that shows how desperate aussies are to get him back in the squad.

pup11

International Coach
Dizzy bowled very well yesterday against tassies in limited over game with figures of 10-0-26-1.
His bowling has been really economical through this season and yesterday's performance was just another example.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Nowhere have I heard the assertion that 25 (at the time of this post) is the same age as 31 (at the time of this post)! :p

Now if you were talking about Clark... 5 months, after all, is all the separates them...
Thank you to the spelling nazi for picking up my mistake. :laugh: I see the error of my ways.:)

Natman20

International Debutant
I dont think they can change the squad unless there is an injury and I think Tait is already in the squad. Its guaranteed to be clark because of recent international experience to be called up over Gillespie to the squad. Unless the selectors pull out a dooser Gillespie wont get a go. I dont think the Australians bowling situation is as dire as people have been saying. Bracken ussually is pretty decent. The younger ones are inaccurate and thats why clark should be there instead of Tait or probably johnson more so IMO

pup11

International Coach
I really can't understand that why does everyone mention tait and economy together, i agree he has been giving runs but so have been the likes of McGrath, bracken and even lee(who are our experienced bowlers). The real problem is that our experienced bowlers are neither picking wickets or stopping runs. Tait is there to pick wickets with all-out aggression, but the other bowlers need to compliment him by bowling tightly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Victorian coach pushing Harwood's case last few days in the papers down here. Probably one of the better death bowlers in the country, and leading the ODD wickets this year at an average of 13.

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
Bring Dizzy, and The World Cup is coming back Home.

No more pretending, the #4 will be back! Or else

"So Mr Ponting, Bad luck on that 10 wicket loss to Scotland, will your side bounce back aginest the Dutch?"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Victorian coach pushing Harwood's case last few days in the papers down here. Probably one of the better death bowlers in the country, and leading the ODD wickets this year at an average of 13.
Wasn't that what they said about Lewis?

pup11

International Coach
Look the real debate is the lack of experience among the aussie fast bowlers, in case lee doesn't play then after McGrath no other aussie fast bowler has even played close to 100 odi's which could really be a telling factor. Thats where gillespie can help us, other experienced bowlers like bichel and kasprowicz(he is injured too) are too old, so the only option has to be Dizzy.