• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest Comebacks in ODI's

Blaze

Banned
Was NZ's victory over Aus last night the biggest comeback ever in an ODI?

Surely it has to be up there with the most unlikely victories of all time. At 41/4 after 9 overs the match was over. NZ required over 310 runs off 41 overs without their top 4 batsmen. You would pretty much bet your life on an Australian victory.

Is there a more remarkable position that a team has come back from to win a ODI?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zimbabwe had a similar one against us a few years ago at Eden Park, they fell to 60-5 chasing 274 and Heath Streak batted them to victory.

I rated that as the best comeback I'd seen in an ODI, but last night's win was at least as good.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There have been comebacks after bigger collapses, obviously. Australia were 6/82 against NZ in 2002 and chased down 248 in that game where Bevan made a century. There are heaps of others.

But obviously this mini-collapse turned around into the second biggest chase in ODI history, so it depends how you look at it. Definitely one of the most unlikely chase wins I've seen, but NZ never got into the tail until the target was quite close.

thierry henry

International Coach
Well, the 3 mentioned thus far are about the 3 best I can remember.

In terms of coming close but not winning, I think NZ were something like 6/120 after 30 overs chasing 300 against SA in '97/98. We lost by 2 runs.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly one of the best comebacks, its difficalt to compare them though due to different pitches and ground sizes and oponents. NZ love a big chase vs Australia though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India vs. England NatWestSeries 2002 must come close. Particularly since two youngsters at the time in Kaif and Yuvraj were the ones that were responsible for the win.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Pakistan in India one day series 2004-05
pakistan was down to 2-0. they end up wining the series with 4-2. afridi's second fastest handred in kanpour in fifth match. i can't belive no one has mention this series.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Any dramatic bowling performances won a match when it looked like the opposition was cruising to victory? I've witnessed many at junior club and school level but am struggling to think of many. Maybe Langeveldt against the Windies.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Any dramatic bowling performances won a match when it looked like the opposition was cruising to victory? I've witnessed many at junior club and school level but am struggling to think of many. Maybe Langeveldt against the Windies.
Obviously didn't see this match, but I remember reading about it somewhere. Windies going from 4-195 to 239 all out chasing 251 mainly due to Wasim Akram.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's quite a lot actually, but it's usually viewed as a case of a batting collapse rather than a brilliant bowling display, given the way ODIs play out in the late overs with defensive fields and so on. So people don't remember it as a brilliant effort, they remember it as a shocking one.

The most amazing one in recent times would have to be the West Indies in the opening match of the DLF Cup last year. 1/136 and 2/172 chasing 279 and absolutely miles ahead of the required rate with a deep batting lineup. All out for 201. Johnson, Watson and Bracken did the damage, along with some insane batting.

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard_ODI.asp?MatchCode=2516

biased indian

International Coach
Pakistan in India one day series 2004-05
pakistan was down to 2-0. they end up wining the series with 4-2. afridi's second fastest handred in kanpour in fifth match. i can't belive no one has mention this series.
we are discusing match rite not series ????

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I seem to remember us failing to chase not very many at all in the 1992 WC v Zimbabwe. We weren't exactly ever crusing as such, but the total was so low I assumed we'd do it until quite late on.

Think we'd already qualified for the semis tho.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
http://www3.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000-01/ZIM_IN_NZ/SCORECARDS/ZIM_NZ_ODI3_07JAN2001.html

That's the one you are talking about Ed

Faaip - Yeah that was the other one I was thinking about, but because they only needed another 160 with Bevan still there and a handy lower order, they were always a chance. I think because Bevan had such a great reputation of batting with the tail it sort of made it less unlikely. It was an amazing effort all the same.
Wow that's a funny NZ team looking back. Styris has frontline bowling figures and batting in the tail. Sinclair opening. McMillian smoking it back then, and Oram playing as a No.5 Batsman who bowls a few overs. A young Franklin in the team. Wiseman playing in an ODI and being a useless wheel, batting at No.11 and bowling 2 overs for 21. Fleming really didn't rate him eh? (with perhaps good reason.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was NZ's victory over Aus last night the biggest comeback ever in an ODI?

Surely it has to be up there with the most unlikely victories of all time. At 41/4 after 9 overs the match was over. NZ required over 310 runs off 41 overs without their top 4 batsmen. You would pretty much bet your life on an Australian victory.

Is there a more remarkable position that a team has come back from to win a ODI?
Well NZ so nearly managed an even more sensational comeback against the same opposition here and but for Chris Harris' injury and a stupid run-out might well have managed it.

Needing 96 from 13 overs, with 1 wicket and 1 injured player left. Did anyone give 'em a cat-in-hell's chance? And yet they came closer than you could possibly imagine.