• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest Comebacks in ODI's

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There's some obvious examples of teams batting first being rescued after looking set for embarrassingly low scores - India vs Zim in 1983, Richards' match at Old Trafford in 1984, for example. Not quite the same thing though.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
the greatest comeback-Pak v.s SL sharjah 2000
SL needed 27 runs off 11 overs with 7 wickets in hand-they had scores 200+ from 39 overs thanks to Jayasuriya and D'silva

Wasim and Razzak pulled them back.

Last over SL needed 1 run with 1 wicket left

Razzaq bowled Chamara'Silva first ball
Match tied.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was in a meaningless offshore triangular tournament between two subcontinental teams who were only playing there because of their unutterable greed in trying to fill every day in the calender with cricket. Cannot possibly be taken seriously. 8-)

(PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! NOTE SARCASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Ive got one more for you Richards
Pak v.s NZ 1994 christchurch
Pak 161 all out
NZ 142 / 4 with 7 overs remaining and 20 runs to win
Waqar takes last 4 wickets for 11 runs picking up match figures of 6/30
NZ 161 all out 49.4

Waqar Younis bowled superbly to dismiss the last two batsman in the
50th and last over in an amazing climax.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
I dont think a team has ever scored 300 in 40 overs with only 6 wickets in hand in ODIs so for me, yeah , it was the biggest comeback I can recall

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well a team did score 324 in 37.3 overs not so long ago but it was for the loss of just 2 wickets there...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it was a second-innings and I assure you most English fans (not that there were a huge number watching that game what with events on the continent) were of the idea "finally we've got a game in the bag!"

It wasn't a mid-innings comeback but it certainly was an astonishing run-chase.

Swervy

International Captain
Well it was a second-innings and I assure you most English fans (not that there were a huge number watching that game what with events on the continent) were of the idea "finally we've got a game in the bag!"

It wasn't a mid-innings comeback but it certainly was an astonishing run-chase.
but not surprising, I dont think it was anywhere near the acheivement of what NZ did, simply because England were really absolutely disgraceful at that time.

Such a one sided batting display isnt a comeback

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a comeback from going for plenty in the first-innings. No, of course it's not anything like as sensational as NZ's a couple of days ago, and I never once said it was, but it's still a comeback of sorts.

Oh - England have been disgraceful in ODIs for most of the last 6 years, BTW.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Come on, then - how often have England been something other?

The only time since 2000 that England have played all that well in ODIs for more than 1 or 2 games at a time was very, very recently (and even that was just on the inspiration of 1 or 2 players and not a little good fortune), for a short time in the summer of 2003 (which was not dissimilar in circumstance) and in Zimbabwe in 2001\02.

England were abysmal bar 1 game in the winter of 2000\01.
England were God-awful in the summer of 2001.
England were pretty damn terrible in both India and New Zealand in the winter of 2001\02. The result-list is a grossly flattering thing.
England were poor in the summer of 2002. Somehow they still managed to make the final of the NWS, though.
England were very, very poor in the midsummer of 2004, and a little better (but not as much as the results suggest) in the autumn.
England were appalling in the winter of 2004\05.
England were pretty average in the summer of 2005. With the exception of that one game at Headingley.
And they were awful in the winter of 2005\06.
And the summer of 2006, too.
And most of the winter of 2006\07, before one of the more astonishing sneak-ups in ODI long-tournament history.

Swervy

International Captain
Come on, then - how often have England been something other?

The only time since 2000 that England have played all that well in ODIs for more than 1 or 2 games at a time was very, very recently (and even that was just on the inspiration of 1 or 2 players and not a little good fortune), for a short time in the summer of 2003 (which was not dissimilar in circumstance) and in Zimbabwe in 2001\02.

England were abysmal bar 1 game in the winter of 2000\01.
England were God-awful in the summer of 2001.
England were pretty damn terrible in both India and New Zealand in the winter of 2001\02. The result-list is a grossly flattering thing.
England were poor in the summer of 2002. Somehow they still managed to make the final of the NWS, though.
England were very, very poor in the midsummer of 2004, and a little better (but not as much as the results suggest) in the autumn.
England were appalling in the winter of 2004\05.
England were pretty average in the summer of 2005. With the exception of that one game at Headingley.
And they were awful in the winter of 2005\06.
And the summer of 2006, too.
And most of the winter of 2006\07, before one of the more astonishing sneak-ups in ODI long-tournament history.

what ever you say boss

Swervy

International Captain
In other words "I've run-out of things to say, I was wrong to question you ITFP".
no...just that I couldnt be bothered doing anything but just scan what you typed out there.

I still think to say they have been disgraceful for basically six years is harsh..its my opinion, you have yours, leave it at that hey!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
no...just that I couldnt be bothered doing anything but just scan what you typed out there.
Then why bother posting a reply at all?

IMO there's nothing more discrediting than a post that's just "whatever"; "whatever you say"; etc. It's just trying to put defeat across as victory.
I still think to say they have been disgraceful for basically six years is harsh..its my opinion, you have yours, leave it at that hey!!!
And I provided reasons as to why I hold my opinion - you did not.

Swervy

International Captain
Then why bother posting a reply at all?

IMO there's nothing more discrediting than a post that's just "whatever"; "whatever you say"; etc. It's just trying to put defeat across as victory.

And I provided reasons as to why I hold my opinion - you did not.
but its not about defeat or victory, I am not hear to score points or W's in the win column, you said Engalnd have been a disgrace at ODIs for 6 years, I said that was a bit unfair, you reel off a list of performances, with your opinions about their worth, I quickly looked at them, didnt make a big deal of a subject that isnt even the topic of the thread.

I think you are a bit harsh about Englands ODI performances over the last 6 years, I think there have been times when they have in fact looked like a very dangerous ODI outfit...your opinion differs..fair do's