• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden's 181*, how good was it really?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I was watching highlights of his innings, and decided that I have seen many a better innings by people who got 40/50 odd. Where would you rate it as such?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Only saw brief highlights, but once he got to a ton he looked impressive to me

open365

International Vice-Captain
He got 79 of his 35 balls with a runner, that's pretty darn impressive, and he was looking good from the first 10 overs of highlights i saw.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He scored 181*. I would be hard pressed to put any innings of 40 or 50 ahead of it, unless they scored 40 or 50 out of 65 or 70 total.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An innings of 150 is a rarity in ODI cricket, how anyone can dismiss it's credibility because it "didn't look good is just a joke." A lot of people critisised his record test score because it was against Zimbabwe, you can't do that on this occasion, because it is against a 'proper' team, so we have to find some other reason don't we? Ridiculous!

DCC_legend

International Regular
An innings of 150 is a rarity in ODI cricket, how anyone can dismiss it's credibility because it "didn't look good is just a joke." A lot of people critisised his record test score because it was against Zimbabwe, you can't do that on this occasion, because it is against a 'proper' team, so we have to find some other reason don't we? Ridiculous!
ive gotta agree with ya on that.

Fiery

Banned
No I'm interested to why you think it's laughable that's all :)
I think I think it's laughable because it made me spit my cornflakes and laugh out loud when I read it. To hose down a guys efforts, after he has just scored a quite brilliant 181*, batting through the innings, breaking all sorts of records, hitting 10 6's, by suggesting you've seen better 40s or 50s is quite funny imo

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You can forget the 10 6s tbh. I can namre plenty of innings better, although it was a very good innings for sure. But he has so many things in his favour. You have the ridiculously short boundaries (I could have hit a slow, low full toss for 6 on that thing), basic roads to bat on, and that bat he uses is so damn powerful it's unfair.

Fiery

Banned
You can forget the 10 6s tbh. I can namre plenty of innings better, although it was a very good innings for sure. But he has so many things in his favour. You have the ridiculously short boundaries (I could have hit a slow, low full toss for 6 on that thing), basic roads to bat on, and that bat he uses is so damn powerful it's unfair.
Nearly all his 6s would have been 6 on any ground. I would love to hear some of these 40s or 50s you think are better

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden is so underated here. It is just so ridiculous to compare an 181 not out with 40.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I would've thought that the only criticism, per se, that you'd make is that he did it when NZ pulled out their two best bowlers. Still a pretty amazing knock, however.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Nearly all his 6s would have been 6 on any ground. I would love to hear some of these 40s or 50s you think are better
Certianly. More important in the context of the game, and much better technically, I hope you don't mind a wait whilst I find them 8-)