• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden's 181*, how good was it really?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, I think Lara's 153 was better than his 400*. So I can see a 60-70 being better than Hayden's 181*, but it would have to be like 70 out of 85 runs scored by the team or something ridiculous.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I would've thought that the only criticism, per se, that you'd make is that he did it when NZ pulled out their two best bowlers. Still a pretty amazing knock, however.
My thoughts exactly. He was taking some pretty good-length balls and depositing them on the bank after he reached 100.

open365

International Vice-Captain
You can forget the 10 6s tbh. I can namre plenty of innings better, although it was a very good innings for sure. But he has so many things in his favour. You have the ridiculously short boundaries (I could have hit a slow, low full toss for 6 on that thing), basic roads to bat on, and that bat he uses is so damn powerful it's unfair.
Now that's just taking the biscuit, the guy scores 181* highest score by an Australian and you degrade him for having a good bat? Every international batsman in the world has a great bat nowadays, yet only he scored 181*.

I saw the highlights of his knock and i agree it didn't seem as good as a 180* should seem, but then you look at what he did and you can't complain, the NZ bowlers were powerless against him, he didn't get dropped, and his 6 hitting was lethal.

I also think he deserves a few more runs for hitting the stumps 4 times.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I don't like comparing Test performances to ODI performances, but Tendulkar and Laxman's fifties in the second innings against Australia on 'that' Bombay wicket stand out among recent years as really decent innings.

Any huge score in a high scoring game where several batsmen made big runs (Taylor and McCullum) is always going to be questioned as a truly great innings. Not taking any of the gloss of Hayden's knock, which was phenomenal, but there have been plenty of better one-day hundreds than that and as Neil pointed out, better innings than that which didn't even make three figures.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Actually, now you come to mention it, check here.

Dispute conclusively proved in favour of PhoenixFire. May as well go close the thread...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Just from that game i thought Watson, McCullum and McMillian innings were all better then Hayden. He went crazy in the last 10 overs, but it was a pretty crap innings before that TBH. Considering he batted out the whole innings on that joke of a pitch, he should have got 200 at very least, wasted 20 to 40 runs at the start of his innings. Might sound a bit harsh, but really that was a 400 run pitch and he didn't get the most of of it.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, tough crowd. :-O

Its 181* for the love of Bradman! Still has to be done, whether people like the way it was achieved or not.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Watson was looking so ridiculously good before he got out, he really should get a reaming for getting out how and when he did. He could've (and almost should've) scored 150+ too really.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, ridiculous thread.

I'm not much of Hayden fan in ODIs, but it was an incredible innings. Not the best I've ever seen or anything, but certainly the best Hayden's played in that form of the game, and one of the better innings you'll see this year. Struggled a little early on, but once he got past 50 or so he was unstoppable, and he played a fair chunk of the innings with a broken toe.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
But he didn't, and Hayden did. That's the point. Flat pitches or not, people don't get 181* as a routine score, even in this day and age.
Do you try to start arguments for the sake of it? Almost anybody could have seen that by posting what I did I was implying how special Hayden's innings was.

:-O I'm sure you'd be willing to give him one dontcloseyoureyes :laugh:
By gee golly, you should start a stand up career.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
Oh for pete's sake.

I think the first post in this thread takes the cake of being the most inane I have ever seen (from a non troll or an alt) in my three year stay here in cricket chat.