• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's A Safe Total On A Belter ??

What's A Safe Total On A Belter That You Could Back Your Team To Defend

• 300-310

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 310-320

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 320-330

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • 330-340

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 340-350

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • 350+

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I was at Carisbrook the day Dodemaide took 4-20 (I think). Sure, the NZ batting line-up wasn't flash, but Australia had scored 250+ on a decent batting track, yet Dodemaide was able to extract every last bit of movement out of a relatively docile pitch - he got two guys out - Blain and Wilson - shouldering arms.

His action was economical and simple and when he had his rhythm right, he was certainly an international-class bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was at Carisbrook the day Dodemaide took 4-20 (I think). Sure, the NZ batting line-up wasn't flash, but Australia had scored 250+ on a decent batting track, yet Dodemaide was able to extract every last bit of movement out of a relatively docile pitch - he got two guys out - Blain and Wilson - shouldering arms.

His action was economical and simple and when he had his rhythm right, he was certainly an international-class bowler.
On that day possibly but Liam will assure you there have been days when Adam Sanford was an international-class bowler.

pup11

International Coach
Look as an aussie supporter the way our guys have been bowling for a while now no total seems to be safe on a belter or even on a sub-standard pitch!! But seriously i believe all the odi pitches now are flat and no matter what a team batting 1st scores the chasing team always backs themselves to get it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But seriously i believe all the odi pitches now are flat
Err... well, they're not.

I mean, not so very long ago we had an entire tournament played virtually exclusively on spicy decks, where several teams were bowled-out by 30, never mind 40, overs.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Quite simply the more the merrier! (Especially if Australia are bowling!):laugh: But its funny how times change - look at the 1987 WC.Most of the games were won batting first. If you got over 250 very few chased suucessfully and Border batted first on "auto-pilot" (Hefielded first in one game to test them in a run chase and they failed). If i was Ponting I'd put the other team in almost regardless of the pitch because he must have more confidence in his batting than bowlong right now. (and him Symonds and Gilchrist were missing in NZ so it wasn't a case of full strength batting and weakened bowling)

pup11

International Coach
Richard i think you might be talking about the champions trophy there mate, yeah the pitches did assist bowlers but still such pitches are very very rare in modern day cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But you said every pitch offers nothing to bowlers... :huh:

Yeah, Champions Trophy 2006 was what I was referring to.