• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's A Safe Total On A Belter ??

What's A Safe Total On A Belter That You Could Back Your Team To Defend

• 300-310

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 310-320

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 320-330

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • 330-340

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 340-350

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • 350+

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters

Redball

Cricket Spectator
hadlle chappell series

Can some sane person tell me why a supposed , I use this term loosely, frontline bowler would bowl full tosses to a batsman who is seeing the ball like a giant football & in rare form in the last over of a very close game!! Bracken is just not up up to it!! grossly over rated. :wacko:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the two teams are both quality then anything one team can get the other team can also get - that's just cricket. The team batting second also gets the benefit of seeing what they're capable of scoring and also gets to improve on the timing of their innings over how the other team batted.

That SA v Australia match SA could have chased down practically anything up to 500 the rate they were scoring in the first 20-30 overs - if they'd kept the wickets in tact.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can some sane person tell me why a supposed , I use this term loosely, frontline bowler would bowl full tosses to a batsman who is seeing the ball like a giant football & in rare form in the last over of a very close game!! Bracken is just not up up to it!! grossly over rated. :wacko:
Obviously the execution was off on that occasion for Bracken, I still think he had the right idea trying for the yorker as opposed to dropping short or bowling a length ball to McCullum at that stage. I think you are being a tad harsh as he was clearly the most economical bowler, and if it wasn't his fault that NZ only needed 7 off his last over 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well I'm sure the ball wasn't intended to be a full toss.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If one team can score a score in certain conditions, and those conditions for the most part don't change, there's no reason why the other team, if relatively evenly matched, can't chase down that total.

So if Australia score 434, there's no real reason nowadays why South Africa can't either. Same with NZ, India, West Indies, Pakistan etc. Obviously its happening more and more lately, because for example when Australia scored 350+ in the World Cup final against India, that was deemed impossible and India had no idea how to go about chasing it, thinking you had to attack from ball one. In the present time we know that wickets in hand are the key, as anything within 90-110 is gettable in the last 10 overs.

The real question is, how high can teams getting with their scores on a consistent basis. Will 330 become the new 300?

DCC_legend

International Regular
i suppose it depends on the competency of the opposition batsmen to focus and believe they can chase the target and whether or not the bowling attack is up to it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can some sane person tell me why a supposed , I use this term loosely, frontline bowler would bowl full tosses to a batsman who is seeing the ball like a giant football & in rare form in the last over of a very close game!!
Err, you think it was a deliberate Full-Toss? 8-)
Bracken is just not up up to it!! grossly over rated. :wacko:
So the fact that he's been one of the best ODI bowlers going around the past year (and was even better before that) means nothing?

If Bracken's overrated I dread to think what Lee, Watson, Clark, Johnson, Tait, etc. are!

Swervy

International Captain
No. 15 years ago chasing 250 was a tough ask.
I think the 1987 World Cup was a bit of a turning point (certainly on a worldwide stage anyway)...250 was still a tough ask but was considered possible...but that was the subcontinent

Back in 1981 ish 220 was a tough ask.
I remember when NZ chased down 290odd vs England in 1983, that felt like the cricketing world had flipped on its axis

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I think the 1987 World Cup was a bit of a turning point (certainly on a worldwide stage anyway)...250 was still a tough ask but was considered possible...but that was the subcontinent

Back in 1981 ish 220 was a tough ask.
I remember when NZ chased down 290odd vs England in 1983, that felt like the cricketing world had flipped on its axis
I remember NZ vs Australia in Hamilton, where Jeff Wilson led the kiwis to a target of 250-odd. That seemed like a huge deal at the time.

Here's the scorecard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it felt something pretty similar when NZ chased-down Australia's 330-plus scores twice in a row (and they damn near did a similar thing 2 years ago, remember).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember NZ vs Australia in Hamilton, where Jeff Wilson led the kiwis to a target of 250-odd. That seemed like a huge deal at the time.

Here's the scorecard.
That wonderful opening-attack of Merv Hughes and Tony Dodemaide...

What's the odds on Tait, Hilfenhaus et al turning-out like him and David Gilbert?