• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plunkett admits to drink driving

C_C

International Captain
It's false bravado to think that:

a. your driving ability is not impaired to any degree by a single drink or a scoobie; and
I've put it to test. Not even 0.1 second difference on average in reaction times after 1 drink.
You may be compromised after 1 drink but i know several people - myself included - who'd not feel a thing, save for the taste- after a single drink. I live in Vancouver - a very hilly town ( some streets get shut off for weeks in winter-though i don't go anywhere near those streets unless i am 100% sober) and drive a stick-shift. Perhaps that leads to a bit more control over the car and being aware of your surroundings but as i said - you are fine if you know where your limit is and respect that. Sure, the law won't buy that but thats the bottomline in not endangering yourself and others. Oh and another thing - i don't know how much of a part this plays into all this, but i am a notoriously slow drinker ( everyone wants to split a pitcher with me coz. then they'd get atleast 60% of the thing). 1 beer takes me about 20 min to drink in a casual atmosphere unless i am in a hurry.

b. that it cant happen to you.
Anything can happen to anybody. But it can only happen to me as a fault of my own if i don't respect my limit.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
As for the bold'd sentence is concerned don't get me there .
I guess one should visit the place and only after then should turn against the people of that country .
And this convo is about a social aspect . Get a poll and ask people about drunk driving . I'll see how many people are gonna consider your question as a sane one !!!!
You have no idea of what i am talking about then.
Its not about supporting drunk driving - which would be dumb and stupid. Its about the fact that legal limit to how much alcohol you can have in your blood to be considered drunk is not a very accurate guage and it varies a LOT between people.

FRAZ

International Captain
You have no idea of what i am talking about then.
Its not about supporting drunk driving - which would be dumb and stupid. Its about the fact that legal limit to how much alcohol you can have in your blood to be considered drunk is not a very accurate guage and it varies a LOT between people.
My point stands alone that effect of same quantity of alcohol on different people e.g. habitual , non habitual etc is different ..........
I have already explained my point but you wanna prolong the issue !
Be that !!!!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Without wanting to bring the discussion to reality and without wanting to get hated upon. I went to watch the football at the pub tonight and drove home.

No other options, and no big deal.
If your BAC was 2x the limit like Plunkett, it very much is a big deal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How'd'you know that not driving home isn't putting lives at risk?

The way some people have painted it, it's impossible to get a taxi in some parts of South Africa, and it ain't exactly a secret that there are some places in some cities in SA where just walking through is putting a life at risk - your own.

Not to mention that walking home, say, 10 miles or more is hardly the most sensible thing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If you're going to be bleeding drunk where you can't drive safely, you have the option of:

1. Not drinking (there's a novel idea)
  2. Getting a friend who won't drink as much
  3. Walking home -I'd rather you get killed than you and someone I know who was unfortunate enough to be driving or walking the same road as you.

For the record, I'm a borderline alcoholic, and I either don't go to bars where there is no option but to drive home, or I go with a group and take turns being the one that doesn't drink as much so he can drive us home. Yea, its not perfect, but my life is more important than one night of beers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you're going to be bleeding drunk where you can't drive safely, you have the option of:

1. Not drinking (there's a novel idea)
  2. Getting a friend who won't drink as much
  3. Walking home -I'd rather you get killed than you and someone I know who was unfortunate enough to be driving or walking the same road as you.

For the record, I'm a borderline alcoholic, and I either don't go to bars where there is no option but to drive home, or I go with a group and take turns being the one that doesn't drink as much so he can drive us home. Yea, its not perfect, but my life is more important than one night of beers.
TBF, I'm in no position to comment on ANY of this. I'm extremely lucky in that I live within walking distance of every drinking establishment I have any desire whatsoever to visit and live in an impossibly un-dangerous city, so I NEVER have ANY need to drive - and don't. I did used to go to the pub most days at college and have my usual pint of Scrumpy Jack there then drive back, but the drive was all of 200 metres or so on a never-populated road, then I'd sober-up during last lesson before driving home.

And added to that, every single one of my driving mates never allows a drop to pass his or her lips when they themselves are driving, sentiments I admire greatly.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TBF, I'm in no position to comment on ANY of this. I'm extremely lucky in that I live within walking distance of every drinking establishment I have any desire whatsoever to visit and live in an impossibly un-dangerous city, so I NEVER have ANY need to drive - and don't. I did used to go to the pub most days at college and have my usual pint of Scrumpy Jack there then drive back, but the drive was all of 200 metres or so on a never-populated road, then I'd sober-up during last lesson before driving home.

And added to that, every single one of my driving mates never allows a drop to pass his or her lips when they themselves are driving, sentiments I admire greatly.
Good, there is no such thing as 'no options.' You always have the option not to drink.

Last edited: