• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plunkett admits to drink driving

C_C

International Captain
So while your friends may be ok with risking their lives while letting you drive under the influence, I am not.
The entire point i am trying to make is that whether lives will be risked if i am driving under influence is based on my level of tolerance, not some generic 'one reading for all' breathelyzer test.

The sad reality is that people exceed that limit all the time and drive drunk.
Yes. And the silver lining is that many know their limit and stick to it and never mess up becaue of their fault under influence. So it again, boils down to knowing the person and having personal responsibility.

I just think way too much is being made out of a breathalyzer test when in reality, if you ask cops who work the traffic scene, you'll find that the experienced ones base it almost totally on your awareness and level of cognition rather than your breathalyzer test. Simply coz, the cop realizes that the entire point of the rule is to make sure people don't drive when they are compromised and if a person knows his/her particular compromised level, its all fine.

Don't get into the 'could bes' while driving- it comes with risk anyways and nomatter what you do, the risk won't get down to zero. As long as people are driving within their limits, i don't care what the breathalyzer says.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm out of this thread, I'm getting way too emotional. ****ing assholes, anyone who does it, that's all.
TBH, I have driven drunk in the past and probably will do again at some point in the future. Its certainly not big and its not clever and never advisable, but sometimes the practicalities of the real world and your environment (ie zero public transport, no vehicles or people on the road, dangerous neighbourhoods) are more important than following the letter of the law.

The example you site, is a possibility but is not exclusive to drink-driving (though more probable). I have been involved in 2 bad accicents. Both when sober and I have badly injured people in one. Luckily, for my conscience, everything turned out ok but bad things happen when a driver is sober as well.

Its not as simple as people who drink and drive are evil and kill people. I generally consider myself to be a decent person and having had a drink and driven doesnt change that fact.

I appreciate your emotion concerning the subject, but its shouldnt consume your thoughts on a topic.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
While I agree with most of what you say, is there any point where Plunkett is allowed to move on from doing something stupid?
One last post here.

For me? It would be hard. If he had caused harm, then no way. But he got lucky and didn't harm anyone, so I can understand people letting it go.

I personally can't.

Goughy said:
The example you site, is a possibility but is not exclusive to drink-driving (though more probable). I have been involved in 2 bad accicents. Both when sober and I have badly injured people in one. Luckily, for my conscience, everything turned out ok but bad things happen when a driver is sober as well.
Well obviously, but there is incontrovertible evidence that the chance of you involved in an accident goes up significantly the more you are drunk.

Goughy said:
Its not as simple as people who drink and drive are evil and kill people. I generally consider myself to be a decent person and having had a drink and driven doesnt change that fact.
Doesn't matter what you consider yourself. If you were impaired and driving (notice that I didn't say 'had a beer and drove'), you were an unnecessary risk to anyone unfortunate to be on the same road with you. Full stop. If you think you can drive after having an x amount of alcohol and still be in control of your body to avoid an accident, then that's your business. There is a difference between being 'drunk' and having a single beer. If your BAC is 2x the allowed limit (its .08 here), then you are impaired. Period.

If you think you aren't, you're lying to yourself.

But if someone gets caught, suspension of the license should be the least of the punishment.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
I've always worked on the "pint-and-a-half" principle.

I'm a big guy (6' 1" & about 15 stone) so could probably get away with more, but it's not just my life, without wishing to be too sanctimonious.
See and i'd have no probs with that or sitting in a car with you if i knew you personally. As long as you know your limit and respect it there is no real validity of the breathalyzer except for apperance's sake.

The laws in Canada are such that if you drank 1 bottle (the standard little individual bottles!) of beer, you'd have to wait a minimum 1 hour to be under the legal blood alcohol limit.
Which is ridiculous personally- 1 beer doesnt do jack to me or most people i know. Actually, scratch that. 1 beer does do something - it make your mouth taste like something peed in it. But thats about it for me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Um, if you have a standard drink, and then wait an hour, it means that you're back to .00 - and this is the rule for everyone in Canada?

Although that may make sense if you are still on your probationary license.

C_C

International Captain
Um, if you have a standard drink, and then wait an hour, it means that you're back to .00 - and this is the rule for everyone in Canada?

Although that may make sense if you are still on your probationary license.
For probationary licence, it shoud be 0.00. Dunno how long that takes- just know that its not a rare practice for full time drivers to wait 1 hr after 1 beer or 1 glass of wine before they drive- you know the really rich stuckup 50-something sorts.

FRAZ

International Captain
argh
Its not about coolness ! i am not a teen goddamnit.
Its all about knowing yourself and your limits. I know i am still 100% in control when i am stoned .
Enough talks ! Come to the business !!! I have a package of 2 jews , 3 Muslims , 4 white non believers , 6 tan , 1 african and 3 Pakistanis ? Give me a good rate please . Give me a good termination deal . Superb person you are !!!

FRAZ

International Captain
Massive overreaction tbh. .
Whats Massive ? Just a news and a thread is made and people are not backing it up and your Plunkett himself apologized in writing cuz he is a role model for the youngsters and he should have some sober self cuz for some he might be a role model or a hero !!!!!!!!!
You wanna be different from the decent world then be in a positive way and don't piss me off !!!
huh huh !!!
Do you even know what is an accidental guilt ?
For some habitual drinkers some amount of alcohol doesn't bother and for some people it really makes a big effect . Why are you not satisfied with the legal limit ? Do you want an operation theater and an ultrasound laboratory on the road to check the fatty deposits on the liver to find out if a certain person is a habitual drinker or not ? And if one is over limit but in so called senses then what about a person who is not ???? For some people even a small amount of alcohol is disastrous , it's a rare condition and I might be one of them ,Person becomes violent and doctors suggest that he/she should never drink at all cuz their nervous system can mal function !!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have pissed me off at extremes !!!!!!!!!!!!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I hope you weren't drunk. :ph34r:
Haha, no way. I always go to beat my previous best, which you cant really do even if a little drunk. When shooting 1000 yards, it has to be perfect. You even have to take a perfect wind reading and aim accordingly...no room for error.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Have you ever used a gun while drunk?

(I'm sure you can see where I'm going here...)
I know where you're going - and the answer is no. I'm more afraid of shooting myself. I usually go target practice early in the morning anyway, so it removes any chance of that.

And yes, I see guys who came from the bar and I stay away from those morons as well.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, i am not the 'law is the law' kind of person. As i said before many time, i use my brain before all- law or no law. In this case, the law is dumb because it won't let me drive after half a bottle of beer. Yes, accidents can happen anytime anywhwere but half a bottle of beer is not going to affect me even in the slightest - hell some nights i wish it did so that i could be a cheap drunk and save some money but usually i don't feel a thing before i down a pitcher.
The entire point is, if you know where your limit is and you are responsible enough, you can drink and drive your entire life without incident.
I've driven a few times when stoned outta my mind too and its not that bad really...so long as people don't try to get me to talk and drive at the same time.
If u used your brain in this instance you'd realise that you shouldnt be behind the wheel.

From a purely selfish standpoint, driving over the limit voids all insurance policies and automatically points the finger of blame squarely on u.

Best case scenario - you make it home

Worst case - youre a bankrupt living as someone's bitch in cell block C

Do yourself a favour, include "taxi" in your nightly budget

FRAZ

International Captain
If u used your brain in this instance you'd realise that you shouldnt be behind the wheel.

From a purely selfish standpoint, driving over the limit voids all insurance policies and automatically points the finger of blame squarely on u.

Excemaxillent social !
I now reject the worldly thoughts that arised in my mind once . I found nothing anti-human in this post ..
I nominate this social post !

C_C

International Captain

Sorry but as i said, i am not paranoid about getting into trouble. If i get into trouble because someone's messed up, well thats just too bad for me but it happens. However, when i drink and drive, i make sure that i am well below my 'feeling it' limit.

C_C

International Captain
Do you even know what is an accidental guilt ?
Yes i do. One can still have accidental guilt while doing nothing wrong from his/her behalf.

Why are you not satisfied with the legal limit ?
Because the legal limit doesn't let me drive on some days despite the fact that on those days i am a better driver than 90% drivers on the road.

And if one is over limit but in so called senses then what about a person who is not ???? For some people even a small amount of alcohol is disastrous , it's a rare condition and I might be one of them ,Person becomes violent and doctors suggest that he/she should never drink at all cuz their nervous system can mal function !!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have pissed me off at extremes !!!!!!!!!!!!
As i said- know thy limits. Whatever they are. You pose no danger to yourself or others if you are aware where that limit is and abide by it.