• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand run chases

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You must wonder why the same site keeps being attempted to be posted despite it being filtered...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It truly is remarkable how often they've done such a thing either successfully or so-near-successfully recently.

Natman20

International Debutant
It truly is remarkable how often they've done such a thing either successfully or so-near-successfully recently.
As a New Zealander I believe that NZ struggle without targets to chace down because they themselves do no set up adequate goals when they bat first. I think that when they get scores of over 300 to chase down they tend to play more aggressively and thats how they get close. If only they could emulate those sorts of performances batting first then there would be more of a chance of winning more matches.

As a New Zealander I believe that NZ struggle without targets to chace down because they themselves do no set up adequate goals when they bat first. I think that when they get scores of over 300 to chase down they tend to play more aggressively and thats how they get close. If only they could emulate those sorts of performances batting first then there would be more of a chance of winning more matches.
Very good point Mccullum only really comes to the fore when he is needed, when there is no need I hardly ever see him play a decent innings.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can see both points of the argument here, and it would be a lot better for a New Zealand fan if McCullum could score runs when the side is under pressure and when the side needs to set some pressure. I don't think that only scoring runs in a pressure situation makes him a lesser batsman though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's debatable. If he gets runs when they are needed then it could be argued that makes him a better batsman
No. The best batsmen are batsmen that score runs. As many runs as possible.

No-one can possibly argue that a batsman who scores 1000 runs in X innings is better (with all things being equal, obviously) to one who scores 500 in X innings (where X is the same in both cases).

Fiery

Banned
No. The best batsmen are batsmen that score runs. As many runs as possible.

No-one can possibly argue that a batsman who scores 1000 runs in X innings is better (with all things being equal, obviously) to one who scores 500 in X innings (where X is the same in both cases).
I think you know what I mean Richard