• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good a captain is Hussey?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To what? You havent exerienced anything else. A preference would usually indicate at least some experience in the different areas. :)

Can I really say, I prefer living in the UK compared to Mongolia when I have never even been to Mongolia? Id say no.

I could guess, or predict but certainly making a statement with such a lack of evidence is dubious intellecual practice. :)
OK... I genuinely like it... better than I like the prospect of being taller.
Richard getting a taste of his own medicine. :happy:
It happens.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was just thinking that whenever Hussey captains, it means two of our best players are out. Don't know if that has much to do with anything though.

He was poor yesterday but I suppose he'd get much better with time, although I doubt he'll have many more opportunities with Ponting coming back, so we'll never reaally know.
Definitely a fair point.

i think what open365 said earlier makes sense for me - it's surprising that he doesn't appear to be making a good fist of it. But there is an argument for stating that a player won't captain as well when he knows it's only a stop-gap or temporary measure. See the difference in Strauss's captaincy V Pakistan at Lord's when compared to Old Trafford/Headingley. He was a one-off at Lord's, then confirmed as being in for the whole series, and it did appear to make a difference. Mind you, Hussey had a whole series here, so....ah well, my point stands. Or not. Whatever. I don't care. :ph34r:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely a fair point.

i think what open365 said earlier makes sense for me - it's surprising that he doesn't appear to be making a good fist of it. But there is an argument for stating that a player won't captain as well when he knows it's only a stop-gap or temporary measure. See the difference in Strauss's captaincy V Pakistan at Lord's when compared to Old Trafford/Headingley. He was a one-off at Lord's, then confirmed as being in for the whole series, and it did appear to make a difference. Mind you, Hussey had a whole series here, so....ah well, my point stands. Or not. Whatever. I don't care. :ph34r:
Hussey actually captained quite well in the last game and it was a big improvement from earlier efforts - proactive, more thoughtful field placings, considered use of bowlers

However, there are times when the captain is powerless no matter how well they do their job

FRAZ

International Captain
Hussey actually captained quite well in the last game and it was a big improvement from earlier efforts - proactive, more thoughtful field placings, considered use of bowlers

However, there are times when the captain is powerless no matter how well they do their job
:laugh:
Ok let me see ! Who is better as a captain ?
Imran Khan , Javed Miandad , Sanath Jayasuriya or Hussey ?
Get out of it now , Human are all equal ......

Mister Wright

Hussey is not a captain, and should never captain Australia again in an International game.

One has to question Ponting's commitment to Australia. Australia have lost the Commonwealth Bank Cup and the first game in a 3 game series with an injured batsman going home. I would have made Ponting play. He had a rest during the Commonwealth Bank series. He is so important to Australia's batting line-up.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

I also thought he improved yesterday - but his bowlers really let him down - Johnson in particular.

Fiery

Banned
I don't think he's been too bad at all. Australia obviously have major bowling problems. The skipper can't be held responsible for that. Nothing wrong with the batting

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he was much improved in the last game. Shocking in the one before, though.

He actually did a couple of things that nearly won Australia the game yesterday, mainly bringing the field up when the required rate dropped with 15 or so overs to go. Resulted in a handful of tight overs and then some pressure wickets. Took some incredible stuff from McCullum and Gillespie in the end.

social

Yeah, he was much improved in the last game. Shocking in the one before, though.

He actually did a couple of things that nearly won Australia the game yesterday, mainly bringing the field up when the required rate dropped with 15 or so overs to go. Resulted in a handful of tight overs and then some pressure wickets. Took some incredible stuff from McCullum and Gillespie in the end.
And, tbf, you cant set a field for the french cuts and outside edges that Gillespie used to swing the game back to the Kiwis or the full-toss that Bracken bowled to McCullum.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I paid attention to Hussey's captaincy more than I usually do with a captain on the field yesterday, and I couldn't pick too much wrong. I agree with the sentiments here for the most part, he was just not backed up by his bowlers and you can't set fields for a french cut or outside edge of a full toss.

Mind you I wouldn't have bowled Voges' 3rd over.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Hussey is not a captain, and should never captain Australia again in an International game.

One has to question Ponting's commitment to Australia. Australia have lost the Commonwealth Bank Cup and the first game in a 3 game series with an injured batsman going home. I would have made Ponting play. He had a rest during the Commonwealth Bank series. He is so important to Australia's batting line-up.
Doesn't he have a back problem that's been causing a fair bit of trouble though? In the long run, in order to make sure he was as fit as possible for the World Cup, not sending him over to NZ was probably a fair decision. Yeah, it sucked to lose, but a) it's only the C/H trophy, and b) there is no b.

As to Hussey's captaincy, he was criticized very heavily in the first game defending our small total. It's possible he could have done some things better, but I think the main issue there was how obvious he made it that he'd conceded the game when there was still around half an hour to go. I simply couldn't see another Aussie captain in recent times doing that, and his press conference afterwards, where he said Punter can come back and take the job back anytime he likes would have had Ian Chappell tossing his cookies for sure. The worst aspect of it all was that he looked like a loser. I generally agree though that while he's not been very inspiring, his bowlers simply refused to bowl to their fields for the most part. Perhaps he should have shown a bit more exasperation or frustration, he seems a bit "oh well, fella" in the field when things like that happen. Contrast that to Ponting throwing the ball at the ground the other week when there was either a dropped catch or overthrows conceded (I can't remember which it was).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pretty sure it was when Brett Lee bowled a no-ball during the 1st VB Series final.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pretty sure it was when Brett Lee bowled a no-ball during the 1st VB Series final.
Yeah, that's it. Looked really livid - kinda reminded me of of AB after that one run loss in Adelaide against the WI, except that was a tad more savage. Showed he cared though, and demanded better.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I grew respect from Ponting after that, somehow. Not only showed he cared, but showed he never ever wants to lose, ever! Its the attitude a captain must have when captaining a champion team really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doesn't he have a back problem that's been causing a fair bit of trouble though? In the long run, in order to make sure he was as fit as possible for the World Cup, not sending him over to NZ was probably a fair decision. Yeah, it sucked to lose, but a) it's only the C/H trophy, and b) there is no b.

As to Hussey's captaincy, he was criticized very heavily in the first game defending our small total. It's possible he could have done some things better, but I think the main issue there was how obvious he made it that he'd conceded the game when there was still around half an hour to go. I simply couldn't see another Aussie captain in recent times doing that, and his press conference afterwards, where he said Punter can come back and take the job back anytime he likes would have had Ian Chappell tossing his cookies for sure. The worst aspect of it all was that he looked like a loser. I generally agree though that while he's not been very inspiring, his bowlers simply refused to bowl to their fields for the most part. Perhaps he should have shown a bit more exasperation or frustration, he seems a bit "oh well, fella" in the field when things like that happen. Contrast that to Ponting throwing the ball at the ground the other week when there was either a dropped catch or overthrows conceded (I can't remember which it was).
Well Hussey goes OTT celebrating loads of tiny little things all the time (especially memorable in that final, dead, utterly meaningless SS Third ODI when he and Watson were batting and when taking a catch in each of the 3 biggest run-chases where he was over-celebrating and looked kinda foolish when viewing in hindsight that they lost all games).

That not enough for you?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Puts a bit of a question mark over the "a monkey could captain Australia" claims, really.
And at the same time puts a bigger question mark over the quality of the reserves who we've been assured are good enough on several occasions...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Well Hussey goes OTT celebrating loads of tiny little things all the time (especially memorable in that final, dead, utterly meaningless SS Third ODI when he and Watson were batting and when taking a catch in each of the 3 biggest run-chases where he was over-celebrating and looked kinda foolish when viewing in hindsight that they lost all games).

That not enough for you?
Haha, can't tell if Richard is being sarcastic or not here. :)

If not, I wasn't talking about his wicket or batting celebrations, at all. Quite the opposite.