• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good a captain is Hussey?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Like Brian Lara?

Or Shaun Pollock?

Or Alec Stewart?

I concur that he seems to have all said attributes but so do many and don't make especially good captains (albeit none of the above 3 are perfect examples, because Stewart and Pollock were sacked in very harsh circumstances and Lara has, finally, made a decent fist of the captaincy).
But Hussey is just ace, you look at the guy and you see someone with no flaws and someone with such a great knowledge of cricket that he would automaticaly be a great leader and it suprises me that people say he's really not, though i'm not debating it as i haven't seen him captain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You could say the same about those 3, too - none were exactly anything other than magnificent cricketers. Who certainly lost nothing in knowledge of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eh?

Regardless of the truth or non-truth of such accusations, what does that have to do with what's just been said?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've just wasted a minute of my life reading this. I think several thousand brain cells went deaded in the proses 2.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well there are worse ways for them to die.

You could be hit on the helmet in the nets... by me... having just dared me to bowl a short one... you'd sure as never hear the last of that-'un.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well there are worse ways for them to die.

You could be hit on the helmet in the nets... by me... having just dared me to bowl a short one... you'd sure as never hear the last of that-'un.
I'd need to have ducked into it. I don't duck; I throw myself on the deck.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You never know, it might have hit a ridge on the mat and spat up at that 5"6' (or whatever you are - you're barely taller than me) head of yours...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wouldn't be fast enough to either get to me quick enough to catch me out for one, and even if it did by some bizarre fluke - like a late deflection off a passing seagull - it wouldn't kill owt, anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was unfairly treated certainly but was he really a particularly good captain?

Honest question - I saw virtually nothing of his reign and always assumed him to be in the a-chimp-could-captain-them position. Coped superbly with Cronjegate, obviously, but that is a slightly different matter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd personally not change my shortaessness for anything.

I genuinely like it, in preference to the idea of being taller, even if it does have a negative impact on my ambitions at the bowling-crease.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'd personally not change my shortaessness for anything.

I genuinely prefer it, even if it does have a negative impact on my ambitions at the bowling-crease.
To what? You havent exerienced anything else. A preference would usually indicate at least some experience in the different areas. :)

Can I really say, I prefer living in the UK compared to Mongolia when I have never even been to Mongolia? Id say no.

I could guess, or predict but certainly making a statement with such a lack of evidence is dubious intellecual practice. :)