• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should The Ashers Urn continued to be held only in England !!!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
That doesn't mean you can't try a structured discussion on prinicples...
Ok, anyway Corey I think we had better agree to disagree as I've never had any prob with ya and I don't want to either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Originally posted by marc71178I still think a new trophy is the best option.
What? A new trophy would have absolutely no meaning at all whatsoever...

If it were an exact replica it would, and then the Ashes can stay at Lord's and we have a trophy to play for that is sturdy enough to travel from Australia to England and back every 18 months or so.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by marc71178
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Originally posted by marc71178I still think a new trophy is the best option.
What? A new trophy would have absolutely no meaning at all whatsoever...

If it were an exact replica it would, and then the Ashes can stay at Lord's and we have a trophy to play for that is sturdy enough to travel from Australia to England and back every 18 months or so.
Yup good idea. Anyway I thought a trophy would be enough just like any other series...but no...

Bazza

International 12th Man
A trophy would be just like any other. You could by one in your local town and donate it if you want to Marc. Won't cost much. Won't mean much either...:rolleyes:

Bazza

International 12th Man
The original trophy was presented to Brazil in 1970 I believe after they won their 3rd world cup. They created an identical trophy to replace the Jules Rimet. It is different because the Jules Rimet was only a trophy in the first place. It was not a symbolic item.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a) It was not an exact replica by any stretch of the imagination.

b) Have you not heard of "Three Lions"?

DirtySocks

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by Legglancer
I think this is Grossly unfair ! The aussies
have proven beyond a doubt that they are far
superiour in cricket for over a decade. I
join many who agree with Glen Macgrath's sentiments
that its time the Ashers have australia as its
home untill England can prove otherwise !
Play it whereever one wants, the result would be the same, a perfect 5-0 to the Ozoz :frog:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok, anyway Corey I think we had better agree to disagree as I've never had any prob with ya and I don't want to either.
Not a problemo. Anyway, all I'm just pointing out is that the fragility argument is weak at best. As has been said, if Lords want to just say "No." then that's fine. I might not agree with it and might be able to put up a decent moral argument against it but that's their perogative being the owners of the trophy.

But just saying it's too fragile is a matter of fact and the facts remain that much older and more fragile stuff has been transported across longer distances without a scratch. So I think that argument doesn't hold up under even the most cursory examination.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Top_Cat
Not a problemo. Anyway, all I'm just pointing out is that the fragility argument is weak at best. As has been said, if Lords want to just say "No." then that's fine. I might not agree with it and might be able to put up a decent moral argument against it but that's their perogative being the owners of the trophy.

But just saying it's too fragile is a matter of fact and the facts remain that much older and more fragile stuff has been transported across longer distances without a scratch. So I think that argument doesn't hold up under even the most cursory examination.
Well that's your opinion and although I don't agree with it I respect it :D