Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duncan Fletcher

Cricket Spectator

Icon8 Duncan Fletcher

Hi,
    i thought would post this message on the fact that Duncan Fletcher apparently deserves an apology from his critics. I however disagree. England on the whole tour of Australia won only 5 games 2 of which happened to be in the final.Obviously he must be congratulated on winning the commonwealth bank series aswell as the whole of the England team. But people are forgetting about the ashes.A 5-0 whitewash , the wrong team was picked on basiccly all the tests. Ashley Giles was a complete waste of time , and finally when monty came in he took 5 wickets. Why take players and injured players who havnt played any cricket for over a year. SO NO HE DOES NOT DESERVE AN APOLOGY.

Does anyone else agree with me..........

However the world cup team i am very happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by toons_39 View Post
    Hi,
    i thought would post this message on the fact that Duncan Fletcher apparently deserves an apology from his critics. I however disagree. England on the whole tour of Australia won only 5 games 2 of which happened to be in the final.Obviously he must be congratulated on winning the commonwealth bank series aswell as the whole of the England team. But people are forgetting about the ashes.A 5-0 whitewash , the wrong team was picked on basiccly all the tests. Ashley Giles was a complete waste of time , and finally when monty came in he took 5 wickets. Why take players and injured players who havnt played any cricket for over a year. SO NO HE DOES NOT DESERVE AN APOLOGY.

Seems to think that he deserves all the plaudits when the team wins but none of the brickbats when they lose

I've said many times that it's ridiculous how much control he has, particularly when so many of his decisions are biased (Jones' selection) or ****e (playing of injured players

I dont think its all his fault i think his players have a case to answer for

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    I agree he doesn't deserve an apology.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Seems to think that he deserves all the plaudits when the team wins but none of the brickbats when they lose
    Bull****.

DF has countless times refused to take any great plaudits for the team's successes.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by toons_39 View Post
    Hi,

Monty Panesar is no miracle-worker.

And IMO the presumption that he is has one hell of a lot to do with the anti-Duncan Fletcher sentiments currently flying around.

International Captain
    Who said he deserves and apology?
    He gets praise if England win (that is win meaningful matches consistantly not a meaningless tin pot trophy) and criticism when we lose. The same applies to any coach in any sport (including Deep Sea Squid Wrestling).

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Who said he deserves and apology?
    David Graveney.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Monty Panesar is no miracle-worker.

And IMO the presumption that he is has one hell of a lot to do with the anti-Duncan Fletcher sentiments currently flying around.
    no, Monty isnt a miracle worker, but the appreciation of his bowling that many people have isnt down to anti-Fletcher sentiment, its down to him being quite obviously a good bowler with a very bright future, and also being quite easily the best England qualified spinner in the country.

The Giles selection debacle was one of the great English cricket farces IMO of the last 30 years, and there have been plenty of those
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    David Graveney.

Ah! A totally unbiased independent source.

Well accoding to Nasser Hussain the Graveney-Fletcher axis hasn't always been a picture of serenity...

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    no, Monty isnt a miracle worker, but the appreciation of his bowling that many people have isnt down to anti-Fletcher sentiment, its down to him being quite obviously a good bowler with a very bright future, and also being quite easily the best England qualified spinner in the country.
    Err, where on Earth did I say "the appreciation of his bowling that many people have is down to anti-Fletcher sentiment"? I said the anti-Fletcher sentiment is a result of his not picking MSP in those 2 Tests.

Sure, MSP is a good bowler and sure he'll probably have a good career, but his popularity is far more down to his enthusiasm and (perhaps - hopefully so - in the past) his comical fielding than good bowling.

And because of said popularity, his non-selection has engendered far, far more hyperbolic criticism than it deserved.

To suggest that had MSP played the first 2 Tests - instead of anyone - the result of those 2 games would've been different is laughable. Unless you're suggesting he was more likely to have caught Ponting than Giles was.
    The Giles selection debacle was one of the great English cricket farces IMO of the last 30 years, and there have been plenty of those
    Ha! Giles' selection was quite justified IMO, it was Anderson who should never, ever have been picked ahead of MSP.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Giles selection was ridiculous because he hadn't played any meaningful cricket for almost a year. Which did make his lack of batting and fielding sharpness predictable, supposedly the two disciplines that separated him from Monty. That's why it was a risible decision to play Giles. Importantly not just unfair on Monty, but terribly unfair to Ashley IMHO.

This was never an argument about a fully-fit Giles against Panesar or Anderson, which is a reasonable debate. So stop making it that.

I have no idea whether playing Monty would have stopped us losing the first two tests, because I have not got a crystal ball, but you're assertion that it wouldn't, suggests you do.
    Last edited by grecian; 19-02-2007 at 04:19 PM.

It suggests that all the evidence points to it not doing. There is nothing to suggest MSP's performances would've been superior to Giles'. Both pitches were incredibly flat (apart from the final couple of sessions at Brisbane), Giles barely turned a ball in either game, and so it's reasonable to suggest MSP's bowling would have made no impact. And his batting and fielding is inferior (even if, as is pointed-out ad nauseum, it's not as bad as it used to be) so there's no reason to suggest it'd have done so.

Giles, meanwhile, was quite fit - he just hadn't played. And he's had spells of not playing for ages before now, too.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    He hadn't played, so wasn't sharp. Shouldn't of been selected. I'd rather Dalrymple had played.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information