• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Should Blame Harmison.

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
I conceede the fact that England won the commonwelath Bank series. Good for them, well done, I enjoyed it because it's given my team a chance to get to the top, but, if England don't win the World Cup (which they won't), I think that they would have wasted a chance to at least be competitive.

Harmison may not have been the best ODI bowler ever, but he had (and still has) Pace AND Bounce. Given half the chance as a cricket supporter, who would you rather have bowling for your team, Sajid Mamhood or Harmison... Harmison, obviously. He was and is a fast bowler who was never really plauged by injuries, I think he made ODI cricket a scapegoat for his lack luster test performance, which I see as selfish, narrow minded and cowardly. Imagine Glenn McGrath or Shaun Pollock retiring from ODI cricket to concerntrate on Test Cricket, it would never have gone down well, because everyone knows, to call yourse;f a great bowler, you should be able to thrive in both forms of the game and not be allowed to pick and choose what form you want to play and even what tours you want to go on...

Oh, if I were an English selector, or even Ian Botham or Geoff Boycott, I would pull Steve and Marcus aside and insist for the good of English Pride and for the sake of selecting your best possible Xl, Harmison, Treskothick and Hoggard would all be playing in the Carribean next month...

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
yorkshire, need I say more... this is a cricket webiste,

C.R.I.C.K.E.T.....
you know, the one with the bat and the ball...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I conceede the fact that England won the commonwelath Bank series. Good for them, well done, I enjoyed it because it's given my team a chance to get to the top, but, if England don't win the World Cup (which they won't), I think that they would have wasted a chance to at least be competitive.

Harmison may not have been the best ODI bowler ever, but he had (and still has) Pace AND Bounce. Given half the chance as a cricket supporter, who would you rather have bowling for your team, Sajid Mamhood or Harmison... Harmison, obviously. He was and is a fast bowler who was never really plauged by injuries, I think he made ODI cricket a scapegoat for his lack luster test performance, which I see as selfish, narrow minded and cowardly. Imagine Glenn McGrath or Shaun Pollock retiring from ODI cricket to concerntrate on Test Cricket, it would never have gone down well, because everyone knows, to call yourse;f a great bowler, you should be able to thrive in both forms of the game and not be allowed to pick and choose what form you want to play and even what tours you want to go on...

Oh, if I were an English selector, or even Ian Botham or Geoff Boycott, I would pull Steve and Marcus aside and insist for the good of English Pride and for the sake of selecting your best possible Xl, Harmison, Treskothick and Hoggard would all be playing in the Carribean next month...
Mahmood is at all likely to play any important games though, and I'd rather have Anderson, Lewis or Plunkett bowl for me in an ODI than Harmison.

I think it was a good decision - it'll allow him to focus on the form of the game he is actually somewhat effective in.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harmison's ODI form was worse than his Test form when he announced his retirement. I'm fairly certain that guided his decision.

simmy

International Regular
I kinda have to agree. I was a big fan but since that worldbeating performance in the Windies he has let his side down.

Honestly Mahmood had more potential IMO. But he needs a LOT of work.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Given half the chance as a cricket supporter, who would you rather have bowling for your team, Sajid Mamhood or Harmison
If I had the choice of Mahmood, Harmison or anyone else, I'd take anyone else.

Hoggard?!?!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harmison was almost always rubbish in ODIs.

The side would be no better with him in it.

As for Hoggard in ODIs... well, steds said it... ?!?!?!?!