• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current players who should quit while they're ahead.

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
Personally, I don't think Shane Warne Should have retired, he still had another season of cricket ahead of him, but I respect him as a cricketer and person enough to realise that if he knows what he's doing, then good for him! But, who should quit test and ODI cricket, before it ruins their already imperssive careers?

Sanath Jayessuria (should NEVER have come out of Test retirerment, and Should definitely retire from ODIs after the World Cup.

Sachin Tendulker (Great batsman, but it's time to go... what's it been now? 16 years!?)

Brian Lara (Still a wonderful batsman, but can you really see him scoring another 400?)

Adam Gilchrest (definitely should leave test cricket while he still is admired)

Darren Gough- should not have even been considered for the World Cup.

Inzimam Ul Haq- 1992 saw Jonty run him out, and he's still playing in 2007!?

Any others?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Brian Lara (Still a wonderful batsman, but can you really see him scoring another 400?)
:wacko:

If he did, he'd be the only man in history to score 400 in tests twice - after all, he's the only one to do it once. That's a strange, strange point you're making.

Fiery

Banned
Personally, I don't think Shane Warne Should have retired, he still had another season of cricket ahead of him, but I respect him as a cricketer and person enough to realise that if he knows what he's doing, then good for him! But, who should quit test and ODI cricket, before it ruins their already imperssive careers?

Sanath Jayessuria (should NEVER have come out of Test retirerment, and Should definitely retire from ODIs after the World Cup.

Sachin Tendulker (Great batsman, but it's time to go... what's it been now? 16 years!?)

Adam Gilchrest (definitely should leave test cricket while he still is admired)

Any others?
Gough aside, I think all those guys you mentioned still have plenty to offer.

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, look, they're still wonderful players, but we don't want them to be forced to retire because they're only averaging 15... We want them to go out with us still thinking they're great cricketes. All of those players are great, but have'nt been performing consistantly like they used to... It almost comes as a relief to the Indian fans when Sachin scores a hundred, or when Inzi bats Pakistan back into the game, or when Gilchrest scores a quick hundred...
Gilchrest himself said he doesn't think he'll make 100 test matches....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They all still contribute to their team.

Why do people forget that? Its as if because they're no longer averaging 55 consistently, they should just call it a day, forgetting that its a team sport.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Like Fiery said all of these players have plenty in the tank, especially Adam Gilchrist. 102 (59). That's all i have to say now.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's utter nonsense that any sportsman should retire at the top. They're a very long time retired so as long as they're still good enough to be selected on merit for the First XI they should continue playing even if their powers are slightly on the wane.

FRAZ

International Captain

Why do people forget that? Its as if because they're no longer averaging 55 consistently, they should just call it a day, forgetting that its a team sport.
優秀 Jono !!!!
Experience is a thing which one should never write off . For me 1992 WC and 1999 WC are the best examples of old horses ( Imran,Steve) winning the race . There are always limitations and we should be flexible while discussing some issue . So if we stay in our limits while selecting a team then the experience might give us victories but experience should be allocated around the young guns !!!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Players should retire when they don't want to play anymore. Not before, and certainly not after. It's the role of the selectors to decide whether they are still the best options for their respective sides and in the cases of all the players you mentioned above except for Gough and maybe Jayasuriya in test matches, they could all do a better job than anyone else around for their teams IMO.

Fiery

Banned
Players should retire when they don't want to play anymore. Not before, and certainly not after.
We're talking about retiring from international cricket. Most players don't have the option to do that. Most players retire from cricket because they realise they are too old or not good enough any more to get back into their national side

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I just don't see any point in them retiring now when they are all contributing for their respective sides.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vaughan - unfit, hasnt been a world class bat for a few years and living on his reputation from the Ashes of '05

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Chi-wo Tsang - This guy I played cricket with the other day, it was hsi first proper game and he got 58. his average is now 58.00, so why carry on?

I agree with the call for Vaughan to call it a day.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A batsman has to be capable of scoring 400 to justify his place in a team these days? Hmmm. That rules out 99+% of world cricket, given that only one man has evidence to support a claim to such ability.
I don't think he seriously was...
Relevance?!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a kind of related aside I often see Ian Botham's overall career figures used a stick to beat him with when compared to the other great all-rounders from his era. I mean, obviously Imran averaged more with the bat & less with the ball when their careers were over, but if Botham had retired earlier his overall averages (particularly his bowling) would've been far better. IIRC when he reached 200 test wickets his average was around 21.

He obviously didn't maintain his considerable peak for as long as Imran did, due to various factors, but I don't think it's fair to denegrate a player because he has the desire to go on & play for his country even if he is past his best. Clearly Both was still the best all-rounder we had available to us (& remained so for pretty much all his career, even when he was a fat late 30-something with no back) so I say fair play to him for carrying on.

Moreover, I'd say any player who quit for the sake of his average is a little wrong-headed anyway. Hell, even Boycott played on for long enough to see his (test) average dip below 50.

Nishant

International 12th Man

i think that is an important point! If the players are still contributing towards their team, then they should not retire; but if they are just a load of baggage the team is having to bear, they should call it a day!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As a kind of related aside I often see Ian Botham's overall career figures used a stick to beat him with when compared to the other great all-rounders from his era. I mean, obviously Imran averaged more with the bat & less with the ball when their careers were over, but if Botham had retired earlier his overall averages (particularly his bowling) would've been far better. IIRC when he reached 200 test wickets his average was around 21.

He obviously didn't maintain his considerable peak for as long as Imran did, due to various factors, but I don't think it's fair to denegrate a player because he has the desire to go on & play for his country even if he is past his best. Clearly Both was still the best all-rounder we had available to us (& remained so for pretty much all his career, even when he was a fat late 30-something with no back) so I say fair play to him for carrying on.

Moreover, I'd say any player who quit for the sake of his average is a little wrong-headed anyway. Hell, even Boycott played on for long enough to see his (test) average dip below 50.
IMO if he had quit after 200 wickets, he wouldn't have had the longetivity to rate him high. Same with Waqar, he averaged something like 18-19 with an SR of 35 or something ridiculous when he had 150 wickets...but its not enough. You have to do it at least for the better part of a decade IMO.

/Thread derail over.

On topic: Players should keep playing until they don't want to play anymore. The selectors should keep picking them until someone else gives you a better chance to win.

Simple as that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
On topic: Players should keep playing until they don't want to play anymore. The selectors should keep picking them until someone else gives you a better chance to win.

Simple as that.
I'm in more-or-less total agreement with that. I personally think (say) Warne has another two or three years in him at the top, but he's decided it's time to say farewell & he's more than earned that right.

Actually, I personally thought the way the Oz selectors hurried Steve Waugh towards the door marked "retirement" was a bit shabby tho. On the face of it he seemed to go of his own volition, but I strongly suspect he desperately wanted that win in India. I think he'd earned that right too.