• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English and Indian wicketkeeping debates

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have, but it's fair to say I'm no expert on wicket-keeping other than the obvious of dropped catches etc.
And u mean to say that even after seeing Dhoni struggle to take balls that are just left alone by the batters (a few times only, to be fair to him, but still that is a LOT more than Karthik), u still think he is a better keeper than Karthik?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would go with Jono on India's wicket keeping issue. I wud like Karthik but if Dhoni is selected, it is not such a big miss.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well to be honest, I said that I wasn't an expert and I generally switch of after the ball has been bowled really. I would prefer that the Indian selectors let Dhoni develop as a batsman in the Test arena rather than mixing and matching with Karthik when it suits, that's my main concern.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well to be honest, I said that I wasn't an expert and I generally switch of after the ball has been bowled really. I would prefer that the Indian selectors let Dhoni develop as a batsman in the Test arena rather than mixing and matching with Karthik when it suits, that's my main concern.
I honestly dont see Dhoni making too many significant contributions in the test arena. The reason is simple: his batting is too "gear" based. I just get the feeling that he has no "natural" game now. That works wonders in ODIs because the games generally follow a set pattern. Like hitting out in the power plays, consolidating in the middle overs etc. In ODIs situations tell u how to play more than in tests.

In tests, u often end up coming in at 320/5 on a flat track and u know u need a lot of runs but also u need them at a decent clip and YET, if u get out, there is a chance that your side is bowled out. I see this sort of situation confusing someone like Dhoni very easily. If you compare it with other batters, they have something called their "natural" game to fall back on in these situations. Where they get settled in the first 30 odd deliveries and then slowly and surely get into their stride. Just dont see Dhoni playing that kind of a "build it brick by brick" knocks. He has an amazing attitude and is surprisingly good at adapting his game according to situations but I just dont see him coming off at a normal score. If he comes in when we need quick runs, I will back him to do well. If he comes in when we have to consolidate, I will back him try to do his best, even if he fails. Its just that in tests u often encounter situations which dont exactly tell you how to play.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see why he has to "build it brick by brick". Gilchrist didn't have too, he's a great sucess at test level. Not comparing the players, but merely their styles of play.

adharcric

International Coach
Having seen Dhoni adapt his game to so many different situations in the past year, I have faith in his potential as a test batsman. Anyways, it's great that we have an incumbent who has done enough to keep his place and a contender who has done enough to stake a claim rather than a situation where you have to choose the guy who has been less pathetic than the other (ie England).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't see why he has to "build it brick by brick". Gilchrist didn't have too, he's a great sucess at test level. Not comparing the players, but merely their styles of play.
I dont think he is as good as Gilchrist and I dont think Gilchrist had a competitor of the quality of Karthik breathing down his neck. And Gilchrist as a keeper doesn't miss too much at all. Hard to fault his keeping. There may have been better keepers than him but he was still international class as a keeper alone.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Having seen Dhoni adapt his game to so many different situations in the past year, I have faith in his potential as a test batsman. Anyways, it's great that we have an incumbent who has done enough to keep his place and a contender who has done enough to stake a claim rather than a situation where you have to choose the guy who has been less pathetic than the other (ie England).
I agree that Dhoni has shown the inclination and to some extent, an ability to adapt. But I just think he could get confused if he gives up what is his natural style of play. For that reason alone, I think it might be worth it to try him at no.3 a couple of games in every 10 ODIs we play. He could so easily lose it, batting at no.6 or 7 in ODIs.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
The debate regarding the England keeper has reached a point where the only real option is to play a waiting game for a year or two to allow Davies to mature. With the current numbers 8-11 and no real all-rounder emerging, a decent batsman who is average with the gloves is better than a world-class keeper who averages 15 in Test cricket. In the mean time, we either stick with Read, to keep some sort of stability in the team and hope he can produce the goods, or give someone like Foster a go, since we can't do any worse than the current situation.

IMO Read will take the gloves for the First Test against the West Indies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
God I do hope not. :wallbash:

Foster's earned his 2nd chance IMO. As Read earned his 3rd (though not his 2nd).

pup11

International Coach
Dhoni is in the team basically due to his batting his keeping has improved but still he has a long way to. Anyways indian team wants Dhoni to do what gilly does for the aussies at no.7 so can't see karthik filling in for that role. How is Jamie Foster better than Read with the bat? Read is the best keeper in england and its a pity that he is not on fletcher's favourite list!! so that means he won't get any more chances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How is Jamie Foster better than Read with the bat?
Err, he's not certainly so - but he's had less chances less recently than Read so he deserves a go as Read has had his.
Read is the best keeper in england and its a pity that he is not on fletcher's favourite list!! so that means he won't get any more chances.
It doesn't neccessarily.

Woodster

International Captain
Thank you Baconator for posting the link on my behalf, and I apologise if I do not post comments on the forum as much as I should do, but have been exceptionally busy.

On the keeping issue, I certainly think Foster has deserved another chance, despitenot wintering aswell as he had hoped. A positive start to the season for him should put him at least in contention. Matt Prior is another who I think should be in with a real good shout.

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
Thank you Baconator for posting the link on my behalf, and I apologise if I do not post comments on the forum as much as I should do, but have been exceptionally busy.

On the keeping issue, I certainly think Foster has deserved another chance, despitenot wintering aswell as he had hoped. A positive start to the season for him should put him at least in contention. Matt Prior is who I think should be in with a real good shout.
Thank You