• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Robin Uthappa

JaiMurugan

Cricket Spectator
Just wondering what people here make of Robin ?

Personally I don't think he'll cut it at international level - his technique is far too front foot based for mine. He wouldn't have a chance against quality quicks at international level particularly so in tests.

Actually anyone here reckon he's INdia's version of Mal Loye ?

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Haven't seen Mal Loye bat but Uthappa can be a successful international cricketer. Let's see how he fares against quality attacks but you can't fault him for playing on the front foot against the attacks he's faced thus far. It's worked for him.

EDIT: Uthappa falls. Temperament may be a serious issue, once again ...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Having never seen him bat I don't think it would be fair for me to comment too much, but by all means he has had a fairly succesful start to his ODI career and I am looking forward to seeing how he goes at international level.

Fiery

Banned
Having never seen him bat I don't think it would be fair for me to comment too much, but by all means he has had a fairly succesful start to his ODI career and I am looking forward to seeing how he goes at international level.
I haven't seen him bat but anyone who can get Indian crowds chanting his name has to be a good player

Evermind

International Debutant
Haven't seen Mal Loye bat but Uthappa can be a successful international cricketer. Let's see how he fares against quality attacks but you can't fault him for playing on the front foot against the attacks he's faced thus far. It's worked for him.

EDIT: Uthappa falls. Temperament may be a serious issue, once again ...
Yeah, but to be fair, I think Uthappa is a much, much better prospect than Loye. His technique looks a lot more sound, and he has more than just 1 gimmicky shot. I've seen Loye play some real ugly strokes that I doubt Uthappa would.

Now it's just about the temperament. There's no reason he can't be a star player once he learns to control his aggression. His timing today was excellent, though he did get away with a couple of silly shots early on.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, but to be fair, I think Uthappa is a much, much better prospect than Loye. His technique looks a lot more sound, and he has more than just 1 gimmicky shot. I've seen Loye play some real ugly strokes that I doubt Uthappa would.

Now it's just about the temperament. There's no reason he can't be a star player once he learns to control his aggression. His timing today was excellent, though he did get away with a couple of silly shots early on.
So does Loye, what's your point??

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haven't seen him bat, but he is consistently getting to 40-50 pretty often, which Mal Loye couldn't do from what I saw of him.

Can't wait to watch him in the World Cup.

pup11

International Coach
I think uthappa atm only seems to have just two gears in his game 1st gear and top gear. He really needs to improve his shot selection, i think at the moment he just wants to push sehwag of the opening slot by batting this aggressively. He would really be exposed on bouncy tracks and swinging conditions.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
He would really be exposed on bouncy tracks and swinging conditions.
Which it probably isn't going to be at the WC.Therefore Uthappa might be very effective with his aggresive batting at the top of the order.Throughout his career this might be the case but I can't judge as I haven't seen him bat enough.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a good thing this thread was started. The discussion would get lost if it was in the Official thread.

On present form, Uthappa is more than just a Mal Loye. He's a Mike Hussey, the Indian Mr. Cricket. On his day, he's unstoppable, and can destroy bowling attacks and turn matches around. What makes him such a great player, even now, is that he's doing it at the top of the order, without a cushion of runs behind him.

Then again...

He seems to have got Sehwag's bad habits, of hitting nearly every ball for a four or a six. Not surprisingly, he gets out cheaply more than a few times. That may get him into extended slumps of form. He needs to take more singles, which will help him stay at the crease a lot longer. He doesn't have a reasonable second skill to fall back on, to keep batting like a pinch-hitter.

The pitches he's batted on have had some life in them, and the bowling, some pace. While we may keep talking about him as an individual opener, he's also built several partnerships at the top of the order, not just quick ones, but also chunky. Some of the leg-side shots look a little ugly, but do the job just right. And they have the power to launch the ball.

On present form, he's good enough for a first-XI place in the ODI team. His fielding is another bonus, and should definitely make it ahead of one of the current ODI openers. He can even make a Test XI, since neither opener is settled. That will get the ODI and Test selections closer. He just needs to bat like a proper batsman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Man, don't mention Hussey's name with Uthappa yet.

Other than that, you make some good points, he seems to be able to blast his way to 40-50 as if he doesn't even have to try, but then throw it away just as easily.

Nishant

International 12th Man
i like uthappa a lot...but am in no doubt when i sa that as soon as he gets a few bad scores, ppl on CW will start cursing him! I think he is a player that has the ability; he can actually play a controlled inninings as well; anyone remember the one against england, when he scored 95 or 85 or something like that?

He should be fine.....for the WC at least, but i do think he will be figured out soon and can be exposed on tougher wickets like the ones in SA or maybe when india tour the aussies later this yr!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
What other shots does Loye have other than the slog sweep and the pull?.He can't play through the off side very well.
Bracken to Loye, FOUR, Bracken gift-wraps a full toss across, Loye rips open the parcel, sends it crashing to the cover fence

10.1 McGrath to Loye, FOUR, Short and wide outside the off stump and Loye flays it away through backward point, this is refreshing cricket. Actually the ball was not there to be cut but he room, got on top of the bounce and played into the ground

1.5 Bond to Loye, FOUR, smack! Too much width, a half volley as well, and Loye rips that through the covers, all along the ground

8.6 Tait to Loye, FOUR, much better shot, up towards the blockhole but swinging away. He didn't try to smack it, but it went like the proverbial through the covers all the same. When it's coming at you at 97mph, you don't need to have a mow!

4.5 Lee to Loye, FOUR, much better shot and a real confidence booster, full and wide and driven along the ground between cover and extra cover

6.6 McGrath to Loye, FOUR, super shot, Loye climbs on his toes and punches the ball off the back foot through the covers.

13.6 Watson to Loye, FOUR, two in two balls! A touch more orthodox this time, but the same result. Watson just losing his length at the end of that over, and he lacks the pace to get away with it on this slight pudding of a pitch

15.3 Watson to Loye, FOUR, far too much width, and Loye goes down on one knee to slap fiercely past point! Top strike!

Ahem.

Evermind

International Debutant
Forget about cricinfo commentary dude - anyone can pull that out.

Have you seen Loye play a square cut? It's the fugliest thing I've ever seen. Comparing Loye to Uthappa is pretty silly IMO.

(Like comparing Uthappa to Hussey. We'll talk again if Uthappa averages like 68 or smth after 50+ games.)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Bracken to Loye, FOUR, Bracken gift-wraps a full toss across, Loye rips open the parcel, sends it crashing to the cover fence

10.1 McGrath to Loye, FOUR, Short and wide outside the off stump and Loye flays it away through backward point, this is refreshing cricket. Actually the ball was not there to be cut but he room, got on top of the bounce and played into the ground

1.5 Bond to Loye, FOUR, smack! Too much width, a half volley as well, and Loye rips that through the covers, all along the ground

8.6 Tait to Loye, FOUR, much better shot, up towards the blockhole but swinging away. He didn't try to smack it, but it went like the proverbial through the covers all the same. When it's coming at you at 97mph, you don't need to have a mow!

4.5 Lee to Loye, FOUR, much better shot and a real confidence booster, full and wide and driven along the ground between cover and extra cover

6.6 McGrath to Loye, FOUR, super shot, Loye climbs on his toes and punches the ball off the back foot through the covers.

13.6 Watson to Loye, FOUR, two in two balls! A touch more orthodox this time, but the same result. Watson just losing his length at the end of that over, and he lacks the pace to get away with it on this slight pudding of a pitch

15.3 Watson to Loye, FOUR, far too much width, and Loye goes down on one knee to slap fiercely past point! Top strike!

Ahem.
Yeah 7 examples in 7 innings he's played.That really tells me he has other shots...

DCC_legend

International Regular
havnt seen him play, but his average doesnt look to bad. The fact he is only 21 suggests that he is still developing and can definetly improve his batting. Monty Panesar wasnt the greatest fielder when he came in2 the england side and he has certainly improved.
Im sure there are many examples of batsmen starting off front foot and develping their all-round shot play.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm not calling a complete player by any stretch, just taking opposition to the fact you said he could only play 1 shot.