• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best resource handlers !!

Captain with a brain !

• Total voters

FRAZ

International Captain
I am skipping Ricky Ponting and Graeme Smith over here cuz both of them are well gifted with excellent and world class bowlers . Who is the best resource handler in the normal and ordinary world of cricket?
IMHO all the other teams are well equipped with ordinary crap . Most of the other teams have 1-2 excellent/good/digestable bowlers and the poor captains have to locate and utilize their ordinary resources around those strike bowlers . So who is doing a better job ?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's fairly obviously Stephen Fleming, when Shane Bond isn't playing it causes New Zealand's bowling attack to be quite sub-standard yet hr manages them well enough to come away with victories against better equipped teams.

FRAZ

International Captain
I think it's fairly obviously Stephen Fleming, when Shane Bond isn't playing it causes New Zealand's bowling attack to be quite sub-standard yet hr manages them well enough to come away with victories against better equipped teams.
Excellent point risen over here by the gentleman and for me Dravid and Mahela are also not that far behind !

Perm

Both Mahela Jayawardene and Rahul Dravid have a number of world-class players in their teams, in a man-on-man situation New Zealand can't stand up to guys like Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble, Muralitharan and Sangakarra.

Perm

Can't beleive people have picked Michael Vaughan, the guy has class players like Pietersen, Trescothick, Flintoff and Hoggard at his disposal. Then with Strauss, Bell, Panesar and himself being very good players aswell it's not like he has a poor team.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't beleive people have picked Michael Vaughan, the guy has class players like Pietersen, Trescothick, Flintoff and Hoggard at his disposal. Then with Strauss, Bell, Panesar and himself being very good players aswell it's not like he has a poor team.
He might not have had Tres, but Fred made a fairly ordinary fist of managing the majority of the same resources in the recent Ashes, it must be said.

Vaughan was very impressive in our last ODI v NZ in the CB series too; the Black Caps were like 50/0 after 7 overs & MPV still marshalled his rsources to be able to defend 270.

Perm

I'm not arguing against Vaughan being an excellent captain because I think he is every bit as capable as Stephen Fleming. However Fleming doesn't have guys with the same ability in his team that Vaughan does so I would rate Fleming higher. When comparing Vaughan to Flintoff you have to realise that they have totally different captaincy styles, Flintoff is more "follow me lads" whereas Vaughan has his plans and ideas that his astute cricketing brain is able to execute.

FRAZ

International Captain
Vaughan was very impressive in our last ODI v NZ in the CB series too; the Black Caps were like 50/0 after 7 overs & MPV still marshalled his rsources to be able to defend 270.
I agree with that ! Vaughan's batting shows maturity too .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Both Mahela Jayawardene and Rahul Dravid have a number of world-class players in their teams, in a man-on-man situation New Zealand can't stand up to guys like Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble, Muralitharan and Sangakarra.
I don't think we should miss the fact that Fleming's not been completely devoid of class. Nor, coincidentally, that this current crop is the best NZ have had for some time.

It's not just Bond - it's Vettori, Taylor (esp), Oram, Styris, Vincent quite possibly, Fleming himself, and hell, maybe even McMillan and Gillespie.

Perm

I wouldn't consider Styris or Vincent to be 'world class' and nor would I consider Ross Taylor 'world class' either, it's too early on his career. He hasn't even played a Test and I was referring more to test matches. Vincent and McMillan aren't in the test side and Gillespie hasn't played either. So out of the current test team, it's fair to say that Fleming, Bond and Vettori are the only world class players right? Followed up by Oram, Styris and Franklin who are all hard workers and have done well, but I don't think can be considered world class.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wouldn't consider Styris or Vincent to be 'world class' and nor would I consider Ross Taylor 'world class' either, it's too early on his career. He hasn't even played a Test and I was referring more to test matches. Vincent and McMillan aren't in the test side and Gillespie hasn't played either. So out of the current test team, it's fair to say that Fleming, Bond and Vettori are the only world class players right? Followed up by Oram, Styris and Franklin who are all hard workers and have done well, but I don't think can be considered world class.
Well Franklin's sure as a better bowler than plenty currently going around. If we're talking Tests that is.

I wasn't, I was thinking ODIs.

NZ's Test side is still pretty average at the current time, yes, but it doesn't matter too much when you're only playing 2 matches in 18 months or whatever it is.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
it's Fleming for me. I don't know how he turns up year after year trying to win tournaments (and sometimes succeeding). He has some world class strike power in Bond and Vettori but more often than not they are unavailable, quite often on the morning of a match. Also there is not the money in NZ cricket as in other countries, so he has to make do with what NZC has on offer.

The media in NZ are relentless - calling his team Fleming's Lemings and making noises about sacking him. Must be very difficult to captain in those circumstances.

He has done very well in developing his other available resources - Mills, Gillespie, Styris, Mason, Franklin, McCullum, Oram and nurturing Jeetan Patel and Ross Taylor

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats the other thing you have to consider. The English side gets a heck of alot of money pumped into their team whereas I think you'll find New Zealand get wayyyyy less.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Voted Inzamam to piss off FRAZ.

I think its very hard though to judge captains without being overly subjective or using arbritrary statistics though, so I can't really say.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Pumped into in what way?
Try salaries and resources. In the recent CB series the English players got around in a coach. The Blackcaps had 2 mini buses which were driven by the players.

What is the salary of a centrally contracted English player? The top NZ player gets a base salary of $125,000 NZ.