• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best resource handlers !!

Captain with a brain !

• Total voters

FRAZ

International Captain
Voted Inzamam to piss off FRAZ.

I think its very hard though to judge captains without being overly subjective or using arbritrary statistics though, so I can't really say.
Yeah noticed your vote and just got back to the computer and have an empty bladder by now. Your vote is your personal freedom of speech which has un-fortunately cut me deep from the inside .It has broken my heart and has taught me a lesson to try and be silent about the future disasters . It's near tbh , it's damn near and even Pasag knows that . Gotta say that Fleming is the best of the lot so far . He is given respet by the fans , players and the selectors and he does not imposes himself over every thing and eats a lot less too !

FRAZ

International Captain
I think its very hard though to judge captains without being overly subjective or using arbritrary statistics though, so I can't really say.
I have no doubts about his batting abilities cuz his batting has no problem with me . BUT

Fights with the Shoaib Akhtar (cost: 3.56 Million web posts and articles)
Not being able to slap Hair right in the ground and not being able to face media properly (cost: 277.327 Million web posts and front pages)
Not being able to come up the order to stable the crumbling upper order (cost : 29 % lost matches)
Imposing self and picking and choosing bearded players (cost : losing the 2nd spot at the top level)
Speaking even worse than Fraz (Cost : vague awards in his name)
Laid back attitude by letting the remainder of W A organization (banned in early 80's)( Hair) off , (Cost : Hair is still attacking him and Pakistan cricket board )
Losing when he is not supposed to ( Cost : different series including this SA one)
Not backing Kaneria's inclusion in the team ( Cost : A famous thread made by me )
Being a captain of Pakistani team : Priceless

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Try salaries and resources. In the recent CB series the English players got around in a coach. The Blackcaps had 2 mini buses which were driven by the players.

What is the salary of a centrally contracted English player? The top NZ player gets a base salary of $125,000 NZ.
Such things are a nice thing to have, sure, but they don't actually make a better cricketer.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Franklin's sure as a better bowler than plenty currently going around. If we're talking Tests that is.

I wasn't, I was thinking ODIs.

NZ's Test side is still pretty average at the current time, yes, but it doesn't matter too much when you're only playing 2 matches in 18 months or whatever it is.
I realise New Zealand have a lack of Test matches to really judge the team, and Stephen Fleming's resource handling on. In ODI's though, the only "world-class' players we have are Bond and Vettori with the possiible inclusion of Fleming and Oram on their day. If Michael Vaughan was captaining England he would have Kevin Pietersen, Marcus Trescothick, Andrew Flintoff and Paul Collingwood at his side and I think that it's fair to say those four players are all "world-class" ODI players in their own right.

In the context of team ability, I think Fleming handles his resources better than Michael Vaughan, especially in ODI's. In Test's Vaughan will always be more succesful due to having a betterr side and the opportunity to play more matches.

Perm

Such things are a nice thing to have, sure, but they don't actually make a better cricketer.
I think that was just an example of the different amount of money pumped into England and New Zealand cricket and probably wasn't the best to highlight his point. Things like youth acadamies, training camps and talent identification programs are more prevalent in England than they are in New Zealand, where cricket takes a firm backseat to rugby.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It takes a firm back seat here due to football, too.

Not saying that there isn't more money in the British game, not at all, but competition from other sports certainly isn't the reason.

Perm

True, I wasn't exactly sure what the popularity comparison between football and cricket would be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well cricket barely gets noticed unless football is 95% dormant (never gets any more than that any more) which only happens for about 3 or 4 weeks at best in an even-numbered year and 2 months at best in an odd-numbered year.

Perm

Quite similar to rugby in New Zealand then, all the focus is either on the Super 14, All Blacks or Air New Zealand cup for 11 months of the year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At least that seems to have resulted in New Zealand being perennially near the top of the rugby tree - in football none of the British teams have come close to such a thing for about the last 40 years!

Perm

Doesn't stop the passion though, if I'm not mistaken then there is more loyalty towards certain clubs than the England national side?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, God, yeah. Club football (and in some parts club rugby) > national football anyday. The clubs are the focus of football, the national team nothing more than an occasional distraction.

I've always been a Man Utd fan first and an England fan second. There are others who defy such a rule, but in my experience it certainly is enough of a minority to be called a rule.

In cricket, the national team is just about the only focus - and that, really, applies to every cricketing country around The World.

Even so our football clubs still can't produce World-beating teams!!!!!!!!!

Perm

Thought that would probably be the case. Anyway back on topic, Brian Lara is a pretty good resource handler. I haven't seen or read too much about the WI test side so this will be focused on the ODI team. We all know that he has some incredibly classy batsman in his side (Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul and himself) but struggles in the bowling department with Corey Collymore the only one who could be considered "world class", I think it was Lara who insisted that Jerome Taylor be picked in the national side and that has proved a positive move for both the West Indies and Taylor himself. Then Lara has to make up his bowling attack around these two, with Gayle, Bravo and Dwayne Smith regularly getting through 10 overs each.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We all know that he has some incredibly classy batsman in his side (Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul and himself) but struggles in the bowling department with Corey Collymore the only one who could be considered "world class"
*Cough*Ian Bradshaw*Cough*
I think it was Lara who insisted that Jerome Taylor be picked in the national side
Think that was Fidel Edwards, in 2003.

Perm

*Cough*Ian Bradshaw*Cough*

Think that was Fidel Edwards, in 2003.
Have to admit I forgot about Ian Bradshaw, but I'm fairly certain Lara had a hand in bringing Jerome Taylor through the ranks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He may have done, but it's Edwards who was so memorable. Taylor, at 18, had played with some success (in First-Class-cricket, mind - and he was picked first for a ODI); Edwards, at 20, had played a single First-Class game and Lara's inspired guesswork (based on a single net-session) pitched him into a Test in which he immidiately bowled superbly well in.