• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Is A Batsman's Game: Fallacy or Fact?

Swervy

International Captain
In last years Twenty20 comp in England about 35 bowlers had averages of 20 or under. Looking at the stats quickly looks like a wicket fell every 2 overs.

Why is it considered that the bowlers have nothing to play for in this form of cricket when the bolwers ultimate reward is gained about 4 times faster than in ODI, and for a lower average?

It would appear to me from watching the game that bowlers with the required skills of variation, line and length suited to conditions do seem to get the rewards, so why is there a perception that its a batsmans game??

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's a batsman's game because the bowlers bowl defensively and the batsmen bat aggresively. Their averages are lower because of the lower number of overs.

In ODI cricket, similar thing happens, except the bowlers always bowl defensively and the batsmen switch back and forth between aggressiveness and pseudo-defensiveness.

Test cricket is where you can have both sides bowling and batting in all different ways depending on player/situation etc.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
why are averages lower because of the lower number of overs?
Because the batsmen are more aggressive as they only have 20 overs to get as many runs as they can. So they lose their wickets, and its not because its an aggressive type of bowling. Sure, it can be smart defensive bowling, but hardly aggressive. And most wickets that fall would never have happened in Tests if the batsman had a lot more time.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
They are forced to attack more.

Anyway, I've never subscribed to the theory that any game is bowler/batsman orientated. Just the goalposts are moved as to what is a good performance and what is not IMO.

Swervy

International Captain
Because the batsmen are more aggressive as they only have 20 overs to get as many runs as they can. So they lose their wickets, and its not because its an aggressive type of bowling. Sure, it can be smart defensive bowling, but hardly aggressive. And most wickets that fall would never have happened in Tests if the batsman had a lot more time.
so the bowlers are having more success without having to attack. Surely an arguement actually tending to a more bowler friendly game???

Swervy

International Captain
They are forced to attack more.

Anyway, I've never subscribed to the theory that any game is bowler/batsman orientated. Just the goalposts are moved as to what is a good performance and what is not IMO.
yeah, I am more that way inclined on the matter

Swervy

International Captain
Simple watching of the format. Look at how many attack and how many defend.
but in fact you have no evidence to suggest that if bowlers had a more attacking line the figures would be worse. Common sense would suggest in fact that a more attacking line would indeed lower a bowlers strike rate, wouldnt it???

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who gives a flying **** about bowling-averages? Any fool can get wickets in a 20-over game - Joe Club Bowler would do.

Equally, who gives a flying **** about batting-averages? No-one with any sense has ever claimed Twenty20 is batsman's game - just a game for bat to dominate ball.

Which, in a game where a scoring-rate of 7-an-over is good for the fielding-side, it categorically does.

That's far larger than the difference between good scoring-rates in the First-Class and one-day games: 3-an-over and 4-an-over respectively.

Twenty20 is a game for batting. Bowlers are just there to be thumped, and inevitably pick-up a wicket or three in the process sometimes. Batsmen are not there to score big runs, but to score them quickly.

Twenty20 marginalises the individual side of the game, one of the reasons I find it so boring.

Swervy

International Captain
Who gives a flying **** about bowling-averages? Any fool can get wickets in a 20-over game - Joe Club Bowler would do.

Equally, who gives a flying **** about batting-averages? No-one with any sense has ever claimed Twenty20 is batsman's game - just a game for bat to dominate ball.

Which, in a game where a scoring-rate of 7-an-over is good for the fielding-side, it categorically does.

That's far larger than the difference between good scoring-rates in the First-Class and one-day games: 3-an-over and 4-an-over respectively.

Twenty20 is a game for batting. Bowlers are just there to be thumped, and inevitably pick-up a wicket or three in the process sometimes. Batsmen are not there to score big runs, but to score them quickly.

Twenty20 marginalises the individual side of the game, one of the reasons I find it so boring.
so are you just saying ignore the averages because it suits your opinion of the game????

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm saying that in a 20-over game, bowling and batting averages don't tell any story.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not as simple as that: in Tests they're the most important 2 things, in ODIs batting-averages are still most important but strike-rates certainly come into it, and bowling-averages come second behind economy-rates.

In Twenty20 both almost completely cease to matter, and batting SR and bowling ER dominate overwhelmingly.

It's a gradual process, not a wholesale change.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as I'm concerned, as I said earlier, the goalposts for what is a good performance and what is not are merely moved IMO.
There's a difference, as I say earlier, between going from 3-an-over to 4-an-over and 4-an-over to 7- and 8-an-over.

And that's one of the things I find boring.

Swervy

International Captain
It's not as simple as that: in Tests they're the most important 2 things, in ODIs batting-averages are still most important but strike-rates certainly come into it, and bowling-averages come second behind economy-rates.

In Twenty20 both almost completely cease to matter, and batting SR and bowling ER dominate overwhelmingly.

It's a gradual process, not a wholesale change.
but if the opportunity is there for a bowler to have success, whether success be measured by a run rate of 6 or whatever, then it can always be considered a fair battle. Bowlers can slow the run rate down with decent bowling. The batsmen dont turn into Robo-batters, programmed for perfection whatever delivery comes his way...hence a wicket falling every 2 overs!!!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
There's a difference, as I say earlier, between going from 3-an-over to 4-an-over and 4-an-over to 7- and 8-an-over.

And that's one of the things I find boring.
Yes, it's different, but a bowler can come off feeling pleased with himself if he's gone for 7 an over, just as he can if he's gone for 2 an over in Test cricket. That's my view on things.