• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Is A Batsman's Game: Fallacy or Fact?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ok, I see your point, but I think for convenience I will still keep one term for both things, because in the whole scheme of things, its not really that big a difference I dont think..and if it is, I dont really care too much

But cheers for your input, most enlightening as ever
Surely this case demonstrates how it does actually matter?

Swervy

International Captain
Where did I call you a nincompoop?

I said "it's probable that no-one ever expressed such sentiments because to do so would be a nincimpoopish sentiment".

See?

I'm not one, incidentally, for the flame-throwing (with very rare exceptions - one of which I'm sure you might remember). I don't go out of my way to insult people to the best of my ability.
but if I say its a batsmans game (simply because its easier to think about rather than the two separate definitions you have), then the implication is that I am a nincompoop.

BTW...no I cant remember the flaming incident you were involved in

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
but if I say its a batsmans game (simply because its easier to think about rather than the two separate definitions you have), then the implication is that I am a nincompoop.
That wasn't the intention. You didn't seem to me to be expressing such sentiments. You seemed to be expressing the "I've an open mind... you out there, convince me!!!!" attitude.
BTW...no I cant remember the flaming incident you were involved in
If I say male... hit... does that jog ya memory?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Of course its a batsman's game. A bowler can take 2 or 3 wickets but concede 8 an over through slogs and edges and still have bowled a "bad spell". Wickets are effectively meaningless unless they come in huge numbers, fields offer absolutely 0 support to bowlers, with slips for more than a couple of overs a huge rarity, and bowlers are restricted to just 24 deliveries to try and make an impact.

The only form of the game that's more batsman friendly is the Hong Kong Sixes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How many of these wickets are skied up catches exactly?

How many of them are catches at slip?

To try and argue that 20/20 isn't a batsman's game is clutching at the smallest straw in the barnyard. And believe me, that's a small straw.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Asberger's Syndrome.
That is interesting. Due to a family member being autistic I try and learn about the subject but didnt know that Aspberger's Syndrome was a related form.

For those that dont know

Selected Characteristics of Asperber's Sufferers
- Narrow interests or preoccupation with a subject Repetitive behaviors or rituals;
- Extensive logical/technical patterns of thought; thought is not a conversational wise as most people.
- Repetitive behaviors or rituals
- Often viewed as eccentric or odd

Always interesting to learn something non-cricket related here.

Swervy

International Captain
Of course its a batsman's game. A bowler can take 2 or 3 wickets but concede 8 an over through slogs and edges and still have bowled a "bad spell". Wickets are effectively meaningless unless they come in huge numbers, fields offer absolutely 0 support to bowlers, with slips for more than a couple of overs a huge rarity, and bowlers are restricted to just 24 deliveries to try and make an impact.

The only form of the game that's more batsman friendly is the Hong Kong Sixes.
thats the answer I was looking for:)

the effect of say a couple of edged fours is that much greater in 120 balls than it is in 300 balls, so the greater proportion of runs scored (measures of success for a batsman) scored 'luckily' is in 20/20.

I wouldnt say wickets are meaningless though (just they mean less), it does take a period of time for a batsman to get his eye in effectively, which does slow the rate down more often than not. It must also be remembered that the effect of a dot ball in 120 balls, and is certainly a measure of success for a bowler in 20/20.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Because the jump between OD and T20 is about 4 times the number in the jump between FC and OD.
How have you worked that out?

FC run rates are generally over 3 an over, OD run-rates are generally over 5 an over, and Twenty20 are generally over 8 an over.

I make it that the jump is about 1.5 times greater, though obviously this is a bit objective. Fail to see how anyone can make it 4 times as great though.