• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ban Aussies From County Cricket

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I didn't think West Indian players were actually banned from playing County Cricket. Anyway, stupid idea imo.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't think West Indian players were actually banned from playing County Cricket. Anyway, stupid idea imo.
They weren't.

It's a cute idea that Warne & McGrath honed their skills during their stints in the CC, but it stretches credulity, tbh. Given the relative standards of the CC and the Pura cup, I doubt whether it made much difference to any of them. It's not as if much county cricket is played on "traditional" English pitches nowadays, anyway.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I think Embers actually means emerging Aussies rather than the current team - but he's still wrong and in any case CC is going back to one overseas player from next year and that will cut down the numbers anyway. Besides in 1989 when the Aussies took the Ashes off us only Border, Alderman and S Waugh of the players they used had played CC (Merv's spell for Essex seconds doesn't count) which proves good players adapt) . Pre the 1997 tour McGrath had played one FC match here (anyone remeber the Peter May Memorial Trophy) and pre the 1993 tour Warne had played one less. But it only took McGrath one bad Test to adapt and Warne...well we know how long he took. And how much CC did Bradman play before he came here and did quite well? None I think. Oh and Embers - where do Sarwan, Bravo and Collymore come from? The only reasons there aren't a lot of WI players in CC is because the team isn't as good and they play home tests into June now which eats into the English season.

Last edited:

jammay123

State 12th Man
i dont think that having aussies in the county game is wrong but maybe we should take advantage of their system. we should send a few youngsters over there. it would improve both nations and it would make cricket alot better and competitive

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
English cricket, ie County Cricket and to a lesser extent club cricket has always been a finishing school for overseas players.

It helped the West Indies massively and has helped Australia recently. Being a high paid overseas player forces the player to have to produces and play underpressure and the weight of expectation.

Being an overseas player in CC can either massively improve a player or they may not benefit as they cannot cope with different expectations the position brings.

So in the regard Embury has a point. CC improves and hardens players from other countries and it just so happens currently that many of these players are from Australia.

However, banning them is an over reaction and were similar reactions to West Indians during the 1980s.

The only option is to get English players in the winter in similar situations where they can cope with being a focal point of another team and harden their games.

Nishant

International 12th Man
stupid comments IMO.....only cos aussies beat england....nxt it'll be no indian players and then finally, no bangladeshi players!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
stupid comments IMO.....only cos aussies beat england....nxt it'll be no indian players and then finally, no bangladeshi players!
Stupid to ban them, but spot on in recognising the importance of professional contracts in England benefitting, improving, toughening and rounding overseas players

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Thats the hard part. NZ? possibly, find sponsors to provide opportunities in the subcontinent?, get guys playing hard in grade cricket regularly? Reverse the Kolpak and get guys in SA doing what Harvey did last year and maybe eve in Provincial cricket like Taibu?

No easy answers but there should be something setup apart from A tours where 20 guys are playing hard overseas cricket where they are expected to succeed and ridden hard by their clubs

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I certainly think so too. I'd love to see people playing in South Africa or New Zealand in the off-season - as pros.

Trouble with that, obviously, is that we do tend to go through rather a lot of players in an average winter and the latest "he's a good prospect" can usually bank on a call sometime or other, which makes contract negotiation far from straightforward.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
It benefits English players too, because the level of competition increases.
Not to mention the younger English players learn a lot from overseas players. Flintoff and Akram played together and as a result Freddie mastered reverse swing. Who's to say that playing against Warne and Mushy in CC hasn't helped younger players become better players of spin? I know Emburey's remarks were strictly for Aussies, but Pakistanis and others would be next on his list when we whitewash England!