• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Clark - ODIs

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TBH, the term "dire" has just been put in the wrong hands.

Simply put, Australia already has insurance for fast bowlers in the WC squad in Johnson, thus they could afford to take the riskier option in Tait with the last fast bowler's spot.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Well if he'd be English the selectors would have done a Hoggard with him and continualy kept him around the side despite not being an ODI bowler, he can count himself unlucky in that respect but he's really got nothing to whinge about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Frankly, I am sick and tired of hearing how unlucky he is not to the be in the ODI squad. First he had a whinge about his exclusion from the CB final series, then he got omitted from the WC squad and I, quite expectedly, heard how much of a mistake the selectors had made with this decision from the Sydney media. But it's not just the Sydney media - I've read various articles claiming it was a poor decision, and selected commentators in NZ today acted as if it was the stupidest decision of all time and even called it a "disgrace."

Firstly, his own person whinge about his final series squad was dire. Even if he did deserve to be in the side, which he clearly didn't, the fact that he targeted Watson as the player he should replace was completely ridiculous. Sure, Watson's return from injury has been less than inspiring, but what Clark seems to have missed is the fact that Watson was picked to bat at 7, as an allrounder. He wasn't competing for Watson's spot unless he thinks the selectors severely under-rate his batting ability - if Clark thinks he should be batting #7 for Australia, he's even more delusional than I first thought.

Now, his WC omission was a close call. Between him and Tait, it was essentially 50/50. If people believe Clark should be there ahead of Tait, I don't have an issue with it. But the way the media has carried on, you'd think the selectors had just picked Hauritz over Warne.

While Clark's test efforts have been brilliant, he simply isn't a very good one day bowler. His record - averaging 31.82 with an economy rate of a whopping 5.48 is a perfect example of such. His average is only very marginally better than Mr.Scapegoat himself, Shane Watson, and he has a far inferior economy rate. Add in the fact that Watson is picked as an allrounder to bat in the middle order, and there is no way in the world that Clark could consider himself unlucky to play because Watson is there. Turn to Tait, and yes, it's a much closer call, but Stuart Clark isn't the most unlucky man in the world as many people make out.

People may just think that he has been unlucky thus far in ODIs and that there is no reason why his form can't cross over into the shorter format. Well, even ignoring his record, that just isn't true. One may think that his consistency in line and length would make him the ideal one day bowler, but there are other factors. See, despite what people may think, Clark actually isn't that accurate. He is perfectly accurate with ONE ball - the ball he bowls over and over, on a nagging length, just outside off stump, moving away slightly. He isn't accurate in the way that he can bowl all his variations where he wants, or even bowl wherever he wants consistently - he is simply superb at bowling that one ball. When he tries to bowl yorkers, or fuller, or shorter, or closer to the stumps, he sprays it everywhere. When he tries to bowl a slower ball, it nearly always ends up full on the leg stump. Now, this will, IMO, actually effect him in tests as well as opposition batsmen treat him with more respect and coaches focus on him more with McGrath and Warne gone. But most importantly for this topic, it greatly effects his one day bowling as he is simply either too predictable, or too wayward when he tries to do something different. When the batsmen attack him in ODIs by coming down at him, or backing away, or whatever they actually wish to do, he has little answer. The flatter pitches aid this greatly as well.

The fact that he took 10 wickets against Western Australia means absolutely nothing, too. No-one ever doubted his ability to bowl in the longer form - taking 20 wickets for no runs in the match would have proven similarly nothing. The fact that he's clearly in good bowling form and he still can't keep his RPO down or take cheaper wickets in ODIs speaks volumes. He's not a completely horrible bowler, but Johnson is by far a better option at this stage and the fact that Tait has been preferred to him as well is hardly the injustice that has been made out.

So Martin Crowe, any Sydney journalist, any other overseas commentator and all of the Sydney media should just give it up and look at the facts. While he is clearly a good albeit untested test bowler, he is not a particularly good one day bowler and his selection would a classic James Franklin case. Well done to the Australian selectors for trusting their convictions and not worrying about what the ridiculous reaction would clearly be - and a further well done for recognising the difference between tests and ODIs.
A Saj, a Warne and an Afridi in the same post? :laugh:

Agree completely, BTW - I don't personally think Watson's actually any better as a bowler, but to suggest Clark should play ahead of him is, due to Watson's ability with the bat, ludicrous. And yes, I simply could not believe the comments of the NZ commentator(s) - honestly don't know who was responsible, so don't want to tar all with one brush. Clark's case for ODI selection is wholly dubious, and people are FAR too quick to put emphasis on Tests and domestic-First-Class stuff.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The worst thing regarding claims that Clark deserves ODI spot have come on SEN Radio Station here in Melb, with callers asking "Why was our best bowler, Clark dropped? The guy's been class all summer" and "Of course we lost the finals against England, we didn't have Clark there to clean them up... what are the selectors doing?"

Heard it more often then you'd think too.

pup11

International Coach
I think since the chances of lee playing in the world cup have got slim, there is every chance that clark would also be added to the squad. I think it would satisfy every lunatic who were demanding clark's inclusion in the world cup squad. Lets just hope lee gets fit in nick of time.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The worst thing regarding claims that Clark deserves ODI spot have come on SEN Radio Station here in Melb, with callers asking "Why was our best bowler, Clark dropped? The guy's been class all summer" and "Of course we lost the finals against England, we didn't have Clark there to clean them up... what are the selectors doing?"
A reporter in this mornings Toowoomba Chronicle wrote pretty much the same thing. "Wheres Clarkie, he's been by far our best bowler all summer yada yada yada dribble dribble". He then went on to talk about the extremely fast lefty Shaun Tait 8-) and after that point i stopped reading.

Prett much agree with everything Prince wrote. With Lee in doubt for the WC, you'd think Clark to be the next in line, with Hilfenhaus the only one close to challenging that. Personally, i'd go Hilfenhaus ahead of Clark, but i guess that will all depend on Lee's fitness.

Fiery

Banned
People on this forum place WAY too much emphasis on the difference between ODI's and tests. It's all cricket ffs! If a bowler kicks ass as much as Stuart Clark did in tests for a whole year...proving himself to be a quality, class bowler (perhaps the best in Australia) then he should have gotten a free-pass into the WC squad regardless of a few indifferent games in colours.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Fiery noone is denying the quality of stuey clark, but his odi bowling surely lacks the variation that one needs at this level, because unlike test matches the batsmen are willing to take more risks to hit a bowler of his length. And thats where all these variations helps a bowler to keep the batsman guessing in the odi version of the game.

Fiery

Banned
Fiery noone is denying the quality of stuey clark, but his odi bowling surely lacks the variation that one needs at this level, because unlike test matches the batsmen are willing to take more risks to hit a bowler of his length. And thats where all these variations helps a bowler to keep the batsman guessing in the odi version of the game.
Look up Ewen Chatfield's ODI stats pup. A bowler who lacked any variation. Might as well look up McGrath's as well, a bowler Clark has been compared to ad nauseum

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look up Stuart Clark. A bowler who totally lacks variation, and goes for 5.4rpo & averages above 30 in ODI cricket because of it. The fact that Clark went from being seriously Gun in the Ashes, to an average bowler in ODI's, then back to gunning it with the red ball for NSW, is a telling tale. If he's in that good of form, and a better than average ODI bowler, he would've put up more of a show in the Coloured game. He didn't, and hasn't done so in his ODI career, thats why he's not in the squad.

Fiery

Banned
Look up Stuart Clark. A bowler who totally lacks variation, and goes for 5.4rpo & averages above 30 in ODI cricket because of it. The fact that Clark went from being seriously Gun in the Ashes, to an average bowler in ODI's, then back to gunning it with the red ball for NSW, is a telling tale. If he's in that good of form, and a better than average ODI bowler, he would've put up more of a show in the Coloured game. He didn't, and hasn't done so in his ODI career, thats why he's not in the squad.
I'm aware of his stats Clapo. A couple of good games in pyjamas would be all it takes to give him some confidence. I think he's the pick of the new breed of Australian quickies/seamers and deserves a spot

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
People on this forum place WAY too much emphasis on the difference between ODI's and tests. It's all cricket ffs! If a bowler kicks ass as much as Stuart Clark did in tests for a whole year...proving himself to be a quality, class bowler (perhaps the best in Australia) then he should have gotten a free-pass into the WC squad regardless of a few indifferent games in colours.
I agree that people place too much emphasis on the distinction sometimes, and most genuinely good test players can translate it into ODI success, though it doesn't always go the other way that easily. Really though, that doesn't mean there isn't a distinction at all. Some players simply aren't cut out for the other form of the game for one reason or another. James Hopes is a pretty handy one day all-rounder at domestic level, but you'll never see him anywhere near the Australian test side, and with good reason. Matthew Hoggard struggles consistently at ODI level because of the length he bowls and his lack of variations with the white ball, while he's quite a successful test bowler.

Personally I think Stuart Clark will probably end up being a useful ODI bowler if he gets an extended run in the future, but he didn't bowl all that well this summer and didn't earn a WC spot ahead of the guys he was competing with. He had a number of games to impress, albeit bowling with the older ball, and never really did all that well. His performances in the past aren't that good either. He's usually reasonably consistent but tends to get smacked around a bit, and doesn't really have the skills to drag it back that someone like McGrath has picked up over the years. He should replace Lee if he's not fit, though.

Fiery

Banned
I agree that people place too much emphasis on the distinction sometimes, and most genuinely good test players can translate it into ODI success, though it doesn't always go the other way that easily. Really though, that doesn't mean there isn't a distinction at all. Some players simply aren't cut out for the other form of the game for one reason or another. James Hopes is a pretty handy one day all-rounder at domestic level, but you'll never see him anywhere near the Australian test side, and with good reason. Matthew Hoggard struggles consistently at ODI level because of the length he bowls and his lack of variations with the white ball, while he's quite a successful test bowler.

Personally I think Stuart Clark will probably end up being a useful ODI bowler if he gets an extended run in the future, but he didn't bowl all that well this summer and didn't earn a WC spot ahead of the guys he was competing with. He had a number of games to impress, albeit bowling with the older ball, and never really did all that well. His performances in the past aren't that good either. He's usually reasonably consistent but tends to get smacked around a bit, and doesn't really have the skills to drag it back that someone like McGrath has picked up over the years. He should replace Lee if he's not fit, though.
Good post Faaip. Agreed

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Personally, I don't see any reasons as to why Clark can't become a successful ODI bowler, all you really need is accuracy, and variation is a bonus.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
haha yeah thats what i though when i read it. Hence i stopped reading the article
I mean - that's "how on Earth did he get a position writing about cricket?" territory.

Seriously - never mind stopping reading the thing, you should be applying for his job!