• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies grounds

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, because lots of them are new and you don't know how a new ground will play until you play on it several times.

Other than that, the old grounds at Queen's Park Oval, Trinidad and Bourda, Guyana unless I'm much mistaken are the same as they've been since time immemorial - slow, low and sometimes turning. St.John's, Antigua IIRR may have been bulldosed but if not I'd guess it'll probably still be the flattest pitch in history. But there are so many newer grounds I couldn't possibly go through them all.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I get the feeling they won't be that many runfests as people are assuming. Especially from what I saw during the Ind vs. WI series, but maybe the pitches are different now.

Slifer

International Captain
In that case I think he needs to get his facts straight cuz most of the grounds around the WI have been spruced up for the WC plus totally new ones have been built as well.

Beleg

International Regular
Richard,

The following grounds are being used for the ODI games:

1. Sabina Park, Kingston, Jamaica.
2. Sir Vivian Richard's Stadium, St. John's, Antigua.*
3. Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados.
4. Queen's Park, St. George's, Grenada.
5. Providence Stadium, Georgetown, Guyana.*
6. Warner Park Stadium, Basserterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
7. Beausejour Stadium, Gros Islet, St. Lucia
8. Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.

* - these are the new ones.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just about every ground has gone through some form of renovation. Stands have been revamped at all, the outfield has been relayed/revamped at a few/most, and the pitches have been revamped at a few/most. Not sure of the exact details, but there's no way of saying how the pitches will play.

I, for one, would be thrilled if they offered something for bowlers as well as batsmen, though I expect most people would consider those to be "bad pitches".

simmy

International Regular
Just about every ground has gone through some form of renovation. Stands have been revamped at all, the outfield has been relayed/revamped at a few/most, and the pitches have been revamped at a few/most. Not sure of the exact details, but there's no way of saying how the pitches will play.

I, for one, would be thrilled if they offered something for bowlers as well as batsmen, though I expect most people would consider those to be "bad pitches".
On the same note, if every game was a runfest, it would be considered the greatest world cup ever and will more likely get watched by millions more people.

As cricket fans we can appreciate a ball moving away and beating the bat but for the less avid watcher 6s and 4s are all they want!

I just hope that all teams are supported well in the crowds and that the Windies do well as its always good for the home team to do well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fairly certain the ICC would have seen to it that the pitches are dead enough for run fests to dominate the competition. I also don't think that it's an easy thing to deliver a quick pitch in the Caribbean these days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It depends. I don't want to see teams being knocked-over and matches lasting 70 overs, but equally I don't want to see 270-plus more than occasionally.