• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

hi-motion cameras and runouts

jammay123

State 12th Man
to me it seems odd that with the introduction of the new super high motion cameras wouldnt it be wise for the icc to use them in run out situations. the cameras have 1000 frames a second wheras the ones they use only have 48. it annoys me when the batsman gets the benifit of the doubt because in the tight runouts it is impossible to tell if hes out. the icc needs to pull their finger out and implement this change to make the game better.

any thoughts?

jammay123

State 12th Man
hi motion is super slow motion. they called it the high motion camera on one of the cricket matches i was watching ot sure which one though

open365

International Vice-Captain
Meh it's like goal line technology in football, a solution to a problem that's not that great really.

Though i wouldn't mind seeing more hi motion cameras in general as they provide brilliant pictures.

jammay123

State 12th Man
but its not the same as goal line technology because their is a debate in football as to wheteher they should implement it or not but the technology is already being used in cricket so why not go for the best .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I$C$C = multi-millionaires, why don't they use the money on something useful like a proper decision-making system instead of throwing it at black-holes?

2 hi-motion cameras for each Test would be absolutely perfect, along with everything else I've suggested before.

Stumped

Banned
And I$C$C = multi-millionaires, why don't they use the money on something useful like a proper decision-making system instead of throwing it at black-holes?

2 hi-motion cameras for each Test would be absolutely perfect, along with everything else I've suggested before.
but then would the ICC take the cameras to every game?....u cant exactly buy one for every ground in the world...or even england for that matter

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I believe that more and more hi motion cameras are being used throughout international cricket, so its a possibility in the near future that they will be used for third umpire decisions.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I mentioned something along these lines a while ago; you always see super slow motion images of something stupid, like Andrew Symonds' dreadlocks as he comes into bowl, but you never see it focussed on something useful.

Meh it's like goal line technology in football, a solution to a problem that's not that great really.
Have to disagree with you there. In the CB series we saw a few run outs or stumping chances that had to be given not out, as one frame would show the batsman as out of the crease, with the bails on, while the next would show him in the crease, with the bails off. If you had one of these better cameras, you could presumably make a definitive call on it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wouldn't you want 4? that would get pretty expensive, and you need to have the people who know how to use them there as well.

It would be good to have though.
4 would be ideal but I have no concept of the prices and if every TV company who has 1 has just 1, that'd suggest to me that they're rather on the expensive side.

So you'd just need 2 - one for each crease. If the view's obscured, well, that's bad luck, but I can't see such a thing happening all that often.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, mates of mine and myself were irritated with this. No fault of 9, who purchased the cameras, but the ICC should do it too IMO.

I mean why do I want to see the bat turning in the batsman's hand a million times with try-hard inspirational opera music, when the technology could be used to tell us if Dalrymple actually got his bat in the crease or not.