• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Pollock, Chaminda Vaas , Mkhaya Ntini , Bond ,Shaun Tait, Brett Lee & Asif ?

Whoes your choice ?

• Total voters

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Pace IMO is overated especially in one day cricket.How often do you see top class batsmen getting beaten for pace with their stumps knocked out the ground with little time to react?.Very rarely,IMO but Tait is an asset as he is express and not many batsmen have seen 95mph+ when playing.The fast bowlers in test cricket are the likes of Asif,Pollock,Clark and Hoggard who are 80-83mph which is not express.Pace shouldn't be a major issue when determining the credability of a bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am not saying that tait is the most accurate bowler around. But accuracy is more important when you are slower in pace. For eg:- a half-volley from waqar(in his prime) or tait is harder to hit when compared to any other bowler, its simply because of their slingy round arm action and pace which doesn't give enough time to a batsman to time and place his shots properly.
You bowl a Half-Volley at 110mph and most batsmen will still lay bat on it far more than not.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
1.Pollock
2.Asif
3.Pollock
4.Bond
5.Asif

Overall I'd just go for Pollock but Asif could be a superstar if he learns not to take drugs. At one stage last summer I wondered if KP woukld ever score a run against him and they aren't many bowlers you could say that about.

pup11

International Coach
Asif takes these drugs to reduce his chances of injuries or speed his recovery time while healing an injury(which is pathetic a thing ). So there is good chance that if he stops taking these drugs he would get injured more frequently and hence resulting in lack of momentum and consistency in his bowling which is there today in his bowling.

pup11

International Coach
Tait is nowhere near being a complete odi bowler yet, but he has got all the toys to help him to grow into one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Asif takes these drugs to reduce his chances of injuries or speed his recovery time while healing an injury(which is pathetic a thing ). So there is good chance that if he stops taking these drugs he would get injured more frequently and hence resulting in lack of momentum and consistency in his bowling which is there today in his bowling.
Honestly. 8-)

jammay123

State 12th Man
1.asif
2.pollock
3.ntini
4.ntini
5.vaas

BTW bond is very overated and tait hasnt proved himself neither deserve to be in the poll

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I guess it is the modern times version of 'Mcgrath vs Wasim vs Waqar vs Walsh' discussion . Who would you like to bowl for your team ,given there are following types of pitches and conditions available i.e.
1. Grassy (under clouds and slight wind)
2. Indian pitch with a package of 300+ per day runs in a test
3. Typical South African Durban Pitch
4. ODI on NZ pitches
5. ODI in kolkatta
Offcourse different bowlers can be chosen for the above conditions but overall who would you prefer ?
hmm after some carefull thinking i'll go with:

1. Asif or Pollock - i think could exploit these conditons to perfection
2. Asif
3. Asif/Pollock/Ntini/Bond - all could cause equal havoc in top form IMO, hard to separate them.
4. Asif/Bond/Pollock/Ntini
5. Tait - really think with his pace & style of bowling in addition to the fact that he can get some cruel reverse on that usually abrasive Kolkatta wicket, Tait could be a real threat on that pitch.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Was just reading this article on Cricinfo. Pollock's bowling figures in ODIs since the start of 2006 have been just incredible. Even more remarkable, his figures in the 2006/2007 season. An economy rate under 3 runs per over...unbelievable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I recently unearthed the fact that Murali between the start of 2001 and the end of 2005 had an ODI ER of 3.36-an-over - that's over 103 games.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Was just reading this article on Cricinfo. Pollock's bowling figures in ODIs since the start of 2006 have been just incredible. Even more remarkable, his figures in the 2006/2007 season. An economy rate under 3 runs per over...unbelievable.
Yep, Barry Richards mentioned it during the pakistan game the other night. Just when people were saying Pollock had lost it & they had fair reason to after that test match in SRI when he was reduced to bowling off-spin, he has come back & had a superb home season in both forms of the game. True Champion..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone seriously suggesting Pollock had ever lost it in ODIs at any point really did not have a clue about the game of cricket.

I genuinely did fear Pollock had lost it in Tests after that game in SL where his back reduced him to bowling off-spin, but I'm quite ecstatic to see him come back strong.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone seriously suggesting Pollock had ever lost it in ODIs at any point really did not have a clue about the game of cricket.

I genuinely did fear Pollock had lost it in Tests after that game in SL where his back reduced him to bowling off-spin, but I'm quite ecstatic to see him come back strong.
Lost it in ODIs? No.

But surely it wasn't unreasonable to believe that maybe he wasn't as good as he used to be, and that the incredible form we've seen from him has been quite surprising (maybe surprising isn't the best word, but I didn't necessarily see it coming).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But surely it wasn't unreasonable to believe that maybe he wasn't as good as he used to be, and that the incredible form we've seen from him has been quite surprising (maybe surprising isn't the best word, but I didn't necessarily see it coming).
I said more or less that - as long as we're referring exclusively to Tests:
I genuinely did fear Pollock had lost it in Tests after that game in SL where his back reduced him to bowling off-spin, but I'm quite ecstatic *insert* and surprised to see him come back strong.