• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Barnes

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Complete shocker. He seems to be implying that winning an ODI tournament, even the WC, is not as important as a proper test series.

Who'd have thunk? Good for him, I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most unlike Simon Barnes IMO. He's usually excellent in his sympathetic, measured writing.

Disappointed in him. And especially disappointed that he'd blame the coach for the scheduling.

His Panesar>>>>>>>>>>>>Gilesism and Harmison's-rubbishness-isn't-his-faultism is at least not unique, so I can forgive him for that. 8-)

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Don't know about you, but I was so over the CB series that I didn't care who won. What a dash for cash by Cricket Australia. I thought England came to defend the Ashes, and they went home 1 wallet less and with the ugliest trophy in the cricket world. Wonder if it got its own seat home just like the Ashes urn?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top stuff from Barnes, as per.

Hey, sarcasms always cool in my book.

Anywhoo, I thought it was "the lowest form of wit".

Anna

International Vice-Captain
He always writes a good article does Simon Barnes, although that isn't his best by a long way IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You really shouldn't be allowed to get paid for writing that. Not that its necessarily incorrect, but just useless.

Slow Love™

International Captain
The split of opinion on this is actually quite funny. :)

Don't know that I'd describe it as crap, but it's far from enlightening or interesting, from where I'm standing. He really didn't have to respond to Graveney's demand, I think most people would have regarded it as mind-numbingly idiotic anyway. The main problem is that Barnes comes from a starting point of having Fletcher over a barrell with his pants down already, and there's really nowhere to go but repeat things that have honestly been repeated ad nauseum already. Comes off as bitchy and defensive when there's no real reason to be, IMO. Anyway, in general, I think Simon Barnes material is generally pretty decent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That 2nd one is certainly excellent. Much more typical of the man.

I like Jesse find the split intreguing, but I'm just intregued that there are others
You really shouldn't be allowed to get paid for writing that. Not that its necessarily incorrect, but just useless.
Crap piece from an otherwise good cricket writer.
Don't know that I'd describe it as crap, but it's far from enlightening or interesting, from where I'm standing. He really didn't have to respond to Graveney's demand, I think most people would have regarded it as mind-numbingly idiotic anyway. The main problem is that Barnes comes from a starting point of having Fletcher over a barrell with his pants down already, and there's really nowhere to go but repeat things that have honestly been repeated ad nauseum already. Comes off as bitchy and defensive when there's no real reason to be, IMO. Anyway, in general, I think Simon Barnes material is generally pretty decent.
who share my opinion! :) Thought I was likely to be in a minority of one in disliking it.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Going to agree with the Anna/Jono/HowardJ/SL/Richard posts - Simon Barnes is usually quite readable but that article was pointless trash, if only for the reason that it's not saying anything useful to the reader at all. I don't want to be a part of a media s***-slinging game; Barnes should have started earlier than the day before deadline on this occasion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was intending to dig this a couple of months ago, and just spotting the rarity of a Cass post in CC reminded me...

A true demonstration of the ability of the man. Easily the best of the Leading Cricketer In The World pieces of the 4 so far IMO.

I suppose there's not a lot as hasn't been said before, but it's always good to read that sort of pulling-no-punches stuff, especially from a non-Lankan, on the Murali issue. :thumbsup: