• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Twenty20 Is Boring Society Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, 182 members? In that case I am pleased to mention that he is the only one on mine.
182 was a random number, but I'd guess it's a massively larger number than anyone else who's ever used the forum. He talks more about ignore-lists than he talks sensibly about cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Potentially less dire.
Liam, this one was here first - Bennett just made the least original copycat movement ever...
Ridiculous that I started this whole movement and I barely get any billing.
I'm terribly sorry about that - but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Have any un-taken position you fancy - be it "Original Instigator" or whatever you so desire.

Natman20

International Debutant
Cool, do I have the entire top 10 CW most patronising posts yet?

Look at most of the 'haters' - a huge proportion are from Australia or NZ, it's the new culture from there for the long-term cricket fans to hate Twenty20. It's almost a religion where you reinforce each others irrational opinions by agreeing with each other and then preach about it wherever possible. Hardly any English members here hate Twenty20, they've been able to judge the game without any predisposition because it was new at the time - so there were no other opinions formed about it to bias a judgement.
And the English culture - As soon as you win anything you over exaggerate it to te point where it is very annoying labelling your team 100% better than any other util you are brought back ddown to earth. Sorry but I find it offensive to just label Australians and New Zealanders with saying what all of us do and what I wrote probably would do the same to you as what you said to us.

Back to the point, Yes Twenty20 is nice for a change every so often but should not be a regularity. Its just there for money making, I tried watching a game of Twenty20 of NZ against Sri Lanka and just thought to myself 'why the heck arnt we playing another test.' Its so predictable, bowl a ball, whack it, either get out or go to the boundary. Yes there have been close matches but I don't like the fact that its like the last 10 overs of an ODI I personally love the build up which quite often builds tension to the point where the batsman unleash.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
And the English culture - As soon as you win anything you over exaggerate it to te point where it is very annoying labelling your team 100% better than any other util you are brought back ddown to earth. Sorry but I find it offensive to just label Australians and New Zealanders with saying what all of us do and what I wrote probably would do the same to you as what you said to me.
Don't remember too many Englishmen saying that we were the best cricket team in the world when we won the Ashes.

adharcric

International Coach

Look at most of the 'haters' - a huge proportion are from Australia or NZ, it's the new culture from there for the long-term cricket fans to hate Twenty20. It's almost a religion where you reinforce each others irrational opinions by agreeing with each other and then preach about it wherever possible. Hardly any English members here hate Twenty20, they've been able to judge the game without any predisposition because it was new at the time - so there were no other opinions formed about it to bias a judgement.
Please shut up.

pasag

RTDAS
I'm not sure we have enough members tbh. Perhaps we should cut out 60% of our society's title to appeal to those with shorter concentration spans.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I find it hilarious and quite ironic that the biggest opponents of the Twenty20 game tend to be the ODI fans, considering the same exact criticism that they are shelling out applies also to their own format.

Face it, Twenty20 = ODI without the boredom.

If you want to watch skill, watch Tests. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the hit contest. The difference between the two hit contests are that one is over faster, has bigger and faster scores, and doesn't have the annoying middle period.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I find it hilarious and quite ironic that the biggest opponents of the Twenty20 game tend to be the ODI fans, considering the same exact criticism that they are shelling out applies also to their own format.

If you want to watch skill, watch Tests. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the hit contest. The difference between the two hit contests are that one is over faster, has bigger and faster scores, and doesn't have the annoying middle period.
Well said, agree 100%

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't remember too many Englishmen saying that we were the best cricket team in the world when we won the Ashes.
I don't know what you were reading, then, frankly.

Maybe not many on here might've said such a thing, but there were many saying it and still more quietly implying it. And given that we immidiately lost in Pakistan and drew at home to Sri Lanka, both terrible results, there was precisely no case whatsoever for suggesting so.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
If you really do think that's "cool", I wonder why you bother to post, tbh.

First of all, Australians and New Zealanders are probably the largest group of members on CW, so it's hardly surprising if most of the "haters" - as you so poorly put it - are from that part of the world.

Secondly, I don't know where the hell you get off claiming that any of our opinions on Twenty20 are irrational. Most of us have given perfectly sound, extensively explained reasoning for our opinions, and your claims of irrationality most likely simply stem from the fact that we disagree with you. Coupled with your assertions that people who happen to agree with us are of below average intelligence and comparable to small children, I suggest it's you that is irrational.

Thirdly, our little society is a purely tongue-in-cheek thing - there is no conspiracy to agree with each other. It's you that is taking it too seriously. Get over it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Some people actually like to appreciate the skills that are utilised in ODIs.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain

I don't see what's hilarious or ironic about it. The difference is, for example, that you find the middle overs in ODIs boring, I don't. All it is, is a difference of opinion.

Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the hit contest. The difference between the two hit contests are that one is over faster, has bigger and faster scores.
That's where the difference lies for me. ODIs aren't just a "hit contest". I find the endless swinging and big hits of Twenty20 dull. Familiarity breeds contempt, as the saying goes, and big hitting for mine loses it's impact when it's happening three or four times an over for the entire game.