• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Twenty20 Is Boring Society Thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which region? Last I checked, CSK's fan base was all across India. And almost all sporting fan bases and loyalties are made up. It is the one thing that is true across all sports.
The south, especially tamil nadu definitely has a hero worship problem. Not that it doesnt exist elsewhere in india but there's a frenzy there that is uncommon even for India.

Plus CSK has Dhoni, who is the most worshipped and widely beloved Indian cricketer since Sachin so that just added to the already over the top fervour among the fans.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The south, especially tamil nadu definitely has a hero worship problem. Not that it doesnt exist elsewhere in india but there's a frenzy there that is uncommon even for India.

Plus CSK has Dhoni, who is the most worshipped and widely beloved Indian cricketer since Sachin so that just added to the already over the top fervour among the fans.

None of the bolded are really facts. The frenzy in TN has nothing to do with the pan Indian popularity of CSK. MSD is the main reason for sure.

Teja.

Global Moderator
While CSK fans are annoying as well, the most annoying fans are RCB fans imo.

CSK fans are annoying in the sense that a lot of them tend to over-fixate on IPL to a comical extent. I posted about this on CW before but this mylapore software dude who considers himself to be some sort of battle hardened cricket fan posted on facebook completely unironically about how CSK's 2018 IPL win where they were about 70 after 10 overs but chased 180 was the 'greatest comeback win in the history of cricket' to the appreciation of hundreds of likes. It 's also pretty clear he doesn't really follow test cricket but pops in with a 'who says test cricket is dead' any time he notices on cricinfo that a good test match if going on. They usually are perfectly nice people though.

RCB fans are the type of dickheads who go around asking people from other cities how that loss tastes and tell them to stop being a sore loser if the person says they don't watch the IPL.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

CSK fans are annoying in the sense that a lot of them tend to over-fixate on IPL to a comical extent. I posted about this on CW before but this mylapore software dude who considers himself to be some sort of battle hardened cricket fan posted on facebook completely unironically about how CSK's 2018 IPL win where they were about 70 after 10 overs but chased 180 was the 'greatest comeback win in the history of cricket.' They usually are perfectly nice people though.

RCB fans are the type of dickheads who go around asking people from other cities how that loss tastes and tell them to stop being a sore loser if the person says they don't watch the IPL.

Don't forget the boos in Mumbai too. One thing that showed why MSD was the best guy to lead India post the fab 5 was an incident in the very first IPL, I think. Yuvi was leading KXIP in Mumbai against MI led by Sachin and got booed heavily. Came to the presentation and said "don't forget some of these boys play for India as well". Next game in Mumbai was against CSK lead by MSD. Same boos, same question at presentation (maybe same commentator too) and MSD says " that is fine, they will cheer for me when I play for India". The difference in maturity was just enormous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And a lot of IPL fans are not really cricket fans anyways, so there is always that. IPL is like the next big soap on Indian TV.

Arachnodouche

International Captain

CSK fans are annoying in the sense that a lot of them tend to over-fixate on IPL to a comical extent. I posted about this on CW before but this mylapore software dude who considers himself to be some sort of battle hardened cricket fan posted on facebook completely unironically about how CSK's 2018 IPL win where they were about 70 after 10 overs but chased 180 was the 'greatest comeback win in the history of cricket' to the appreciation of hundreds of likes. It 's also pretty clear he doesn't really follow test cricket but pops in with a 'who says test cricket is dead' any time he notices on cricinfo that a good test match if going on. They usually are perfectly nice people though.

That "taste the loss" attitude is borrowed directly from the EPL-following crowd in urban India; though I don't think there's a significant overlap between the two sections, cricket obviously being too low-brow for most of the football crowd. Both types deserve to be pushed off a cliff if you as me.

OverratedSanity

CSK fans are annoying in the sense that a lot of them tend to over-fixate on IPL to a comical extent. I posted about this on CW before but this mylapore software dude who considers himself to be some sort of battle hardened cricket fan posted on facebook completely unironically about how CSK's 2018 IPL win where they were about 70 after 10 overs but chased 180 was the 'greatest comeback win in the history of cricket' to the appreciation of hundreds of likes.
To be fair, the RR vs MI match from a few years ago where Mumbai chased like 220 in 17 overs or something was genuinely one of the best games of cricket I've ever watched when it came to pure hilarity at the end. It came down to some truly insane and farcical net runrate calculations which I remember not even fully understanding but enjoying thoroughly all the same. Point being that t20/IPL is at its best when its really stupid.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Does anyone remember MS Gony who also used to play for CSK lol?

The first couple of seasons where the scores weren't so insanely high and the best cricketers like Sachin & McGrath dominated were really fun.

Nothing to do with DC being around back then ofc. :ph34r:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The first couple of seasons where the scores weren't so insanely high and the best cricketers like Sachin & McGrath dominated were really fun.

Man, I loved that Gony guy. Looked promising.

OverratedSanity

The only other IPL matches I remember a bit fondly are the Gayle 175 and several matches that one season where Steyn was basically a one man bowling attack keeping his dreadful team (was it deccan chargers) in the game by himself.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Andre Russell's innings (48 off 13) to win the unwinnable at RCB last year was pure gold and a perfect example of hilarity ensuing when RCB loses.

vcs

That "taste the loss" attitude is borrowed directly from the EPL-following crowd in urban India; though I don't think there's a significant overlap between the two sections, cricket obviously being too low-brow for most of the football crowd. Both types deserve to be pushed off a cliff if you as me.
The Indian "hardcore <Man U/Arsenal/Barcelona/Real Madrid> fan maaaan" club is as irritating as they come

vcs

In recent years I remember rooting for Rising Pune SuperGiant that one year where they randomly reached the final, only for them to choke against MI. :@

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be fair, that was the day Rohit really impressed as a captain. The move to get Steve Smith out when it looked like he had all but pulled it off was awesome.

SillyCowCorner1

I enjoyed the Shahab Jakati phase