• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Twenty20 Is Boring Society Thread

shortpitched713

International Captain
Put four-six men back there, and then come talk to me about aggression.
How often do you see five to six slips, even in Test cricket? The only time they're used is when a new batsman comes in and the bowling side desperately needs wickets. Otherwise its basically useless to have that many slips.

shortpitched713

International Captain
The thing is that the accumulation phase of ODI tends to be total crap, as both sides are happy just playing defense without any aggression. That's why I hate it. It's not the scoring rate, its the lack of aggression from both camps.

In Tests, you'll see a really aggressive bowler or batsman at one end most of the time. You'll have two-three slips, and some good variation in bowling. You'll see a leg spinner letting the batsmen have a few boundaries to set him up. You'll see a Kallis hold together the batting lineup despite a barrage of fast bowling with five slips behind him. All that makes the cricket absolutely exciting. You'll see the fortunes of team change from one session to another. You see the despair on the face of a team when they ruin four days of good work by playing a couple loose shots or a single spell of bowling that snatches victory from four days of being crushed.

ODI's have none of that, and instead just has two teams content to score a run here and there by just hanging back and not doing much. ODI pretends to have those things, and has them to such a small degree that it leaves you unfulfilled and unsatisfied. At least Twenty20 has aggression from one side and you know what you're getting.
Not with Shane Warne you won't. You've been watching too much Danish Kaneria. :p

Natman20

International Debutant
Exactly. ODI games are about as scripted as you can possibly get. All the powerplays are taken straightaway 99% of the time. It breaks down into three sections stereotypically.

The "skills" that are required in ODI are basically a combination of Twenty20 and Tests without the excitement or mastery of either.
There is skill involved in ODIs not seen in either Twenty20 and Tests. Its when to be aggressive and when to be patient. There is a hang of a lot more strategy involved and required to make breakthroughs or create big scores and chasing down scores. Twenty20 wouldn't be here if ODIs wern't invented and tbh ODIs are what first got me interested in cricket. Twenty20 yes is a fun occassion at times but there should only be one per series, end of story IMO. I wouldn't even sit down to watch a full series of Twenty20s (unless it is this years world cup). I dont know maybe Twenty20 may turn out to be fun but it completely skips the tense situations. I dont know why people can sit through test matches but cant sit through some of the middle overs in a game? To me there is a lot of skill involved in these stages. Has everyone forgotten the great world cup matches of the past?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Of course there is a skill in Test matches in judging how to pace your innings - setting declarations and the like require it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
How often do you see five to six slips, even in Test cricket? The only time they're used is when a new batsman comes in and the bowling side desperately needs wickets. Otherwise its basically useless to have that many slips.
4-6 fielders behind the batsman also includes gully. You'd see 5, and at times 6, fielders behind the bat at some stage in just about every Test match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is a reason that Bangladesh can beat people in ODI's (including Australia) but no one in Tests.
Well they came about as close to beating them in a Test as anyone else has in the last 1-and-a-half years.

The only explanation for either the ODI victory or the Test near-victory is that random reversals do, very very occasionally, happen.

adharcric

International Coach
The thing is that the accumulation phase of ODI tends to be total crap, as both sides are happy just playing defense without any aggression. That's why I hate it. It's not the scoring rate, its the lack of aggression from both camps.

In Tests, you'll see a really aggressive bowler or batsman at one end most of the time. You'll have two-three slips, and some good variation in bowling. You'll see a leg spinner letting the batsmen have a few boundaries to set him up. You'll see a Kallis hold together the batting lineup despite a barrage of fast bowling with five slips behind him. All that makes the cricket absolutely exciting. You'll see the fortunes of team change from one session to another. You see the despair on the face of a team when they ruin four days of good work by playing a couple loose shots or a single spell of bowling that snatches victory from four days of being crushed.

ODI's have none of that, and instead just has two teams content to score a run here and there by just hanging back and not doing much. ODI pretends to have those things, and has them to such a small degree that it leaves you unfulfilled and unsatisfied. At least Twenty20 has aggression from one side and you know what you're getting.
Tell me something. What do Twenty20 matches have that ODIs don't?

adharcric

International Coach
There is a reason that Bangladesh can beat people in ODI's (including Australia) but no one in Tests.
Reason: ODIs only give you 100 overs to do what you can. You need relatively sustained brilliance but one good day is good enough.
In tests, one good day is not enough. That's good. In Twenty20 cricket, an hour is enough. That's pathetic.

JBH001

International Regular
I hope it is not too late in the day (and this thread) but can I join?

I've only really watched 20/20 once, and that was for an hour with a hangover on a sunday afternoon...I was not impressed and my worst fears were confirmed... :D

Fiery

Banned
Personally, if you love cricket enough, you take it warts and all. I like watching all forms of the game. If there was a Twenty20 game on after work I wouldn't look forward to it as much as an ODI or test but I would still look forward to it and certainly wouldn't find it "boring"

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
My main problem with Twenty20 is that it's too batting-friendly. I feel the same with most ODIs (and some Tests as well), but at least there are some ODIs where the bowlers can dominate. I've yet to see a Twenty20 match where the bowlers have really dominated.