• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moin Khan offers WC comeback

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Would be brilliant if he makes a comeback
he is still only 35 so if players like gilchrist can carry on then why cant min return?
hes my alltime favourite so i hope he comes back

Karachi - Former captain and wicketkeeper Moin Khan has offered to make a comeback and play for injury-plagued Pakistan in next month's World Cup in the Caribbean.

Moin said: "Considering the not so good situation of the team, with so many players injured and wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal's poor performance, I am ready to play and help Pakistan in the World Cup."

The 35-year-old Moin played the last of his 219 one-day internationals against Sri Lanka in October two years ago, before fading out due to poor performances.

Pakistan face a dilemma in announcing their squad as several of their fast bowlers, including Shoaib Akhtar and Umar Gul, are injured.

Tuesday is the deadline for Pakistan to submit their 15 for the World Cup which starts in the Caribbean on March 13.

Pakistan's request for a week's extension in naming the squad was rejected by the International Cricket Council last week.

Moin said he has been training for the past month and was ready to wear the gloves again.

"I have been training hard and have experience on my side, so I think I can contribute for Pakistan under the current scenario," said Moin, who has 3 266 runs and 287 behind the stumps to his credit.

Moin played in two World Cups for Pakistan. He was a member of Pakistan's World Cup-winning side in Australia in 1992 and was also a member of the 1999 team which lost to Australia in the World Cup final in England.

He also led Pakistan in 34 ODI's, winning 20 and losing 14.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Cricket/0,,2-9-839_2068212,00.html

Fusion

Global Moderator
Ummm no thanks. That would be the dumbest move. Take a wicket keeper who's been out of International Cricket for two years, are you kidding me? He has no match practice and besides, he wasn't exactly lighting it up when he retired.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah he was kicked out for no reason, he should make a comeback for a final hurray.
He averaged under 20 over his last 22 ODIs. Not that he averaged much better over his career. Pakistan saw the need for a wicketkeeper who could actually contribute properly with the bat, I suppose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Moin can hardly do worse than Kamran Akmal but IMO to bring him back would do more harm than good to both - it'd be a serious no-confidence vote in Kamran, from which, who knows, he might never recover, and it'd be extremely unlikely to work for Moin who, unless I'm much mistaken, has hardly played recently, and in any case did no justice to a once brilliant career in what, to date, is it's final throes.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Surley it would be less of a blow to Akmal's confidence if he were to be replaced by a young wicketkeeper-batsman, rather than Moin Khan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well the options there aren't immidiately striking, either...

It'd be like replacing Dion Ebrahim with Vusimusa Sibanda.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was talking about in 2003, pal... when I thought "Yes, they've finally dropped Ebrahim!" then realised his replacement was patently even worse...

Which Sibanda certainly was in 2003... whatever his prowess of late... and incidentally, what's his record against ODI-class teams?

Mr Mxyzptlk

I was talking about in 2003, pal... when I thought "Yes, they've finally dropped Ebrahim!" then realised his replacement was patently even worse...

Which Sibanda certainly was in 2003... whatever his prowess of late... and incidentally, what's his record against ODI-class teams?
He hasn't played many ODI-class teams of late. Scores of 52, 4, 18* and 42 against the West Indies last year though. Looked pretty reasonable.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Moin Khan offers World Cup Comeback

Bad move. Akmal seems to have regained some form with the gloves, that is to say he doesn't look as distinctly Geraintish as he did before. And Akmal has contributed as much with the bat in his short career as Khan ever did, so I don't think you can recall him from that standpoint.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jeebus Cripes, do we need a ****ing decoder ring or something for your posts?
:blink: Where did that come from?

And FYI (that's for your information, in case you need that-'un too) CoS is Chairman of Selectors, and it's a pretty common abbreviation.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Bad move. Akmal seems to have regained some form with the gloves, that is to say he doesn't look as distinctly Geraintish as he did before. And Akmal has contributed as much with the bat in his short career as Khan ever did, so I don't think you can recall him from that standpoint.
Akmal < Geraint Jones as a wicketkeeper of late.