• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa can topple Australia at top of LG ICC ODI Championship for first time

Steulen

International Regular
Haha.

But seriously, I think SA really deserve to be in this position (unlike the time they actually took first place in the Test rankings, I might add).

The current SA ODI team has close to the ideal mix of strike bowlers, good back-up bowlers, solid batsmen, strokemakers and excellent fielders, much like the Australian team itself. There's not much to choose between them, imo. And they both lack a good spinner :p

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I have a feeling that Australians would be at the top of the gear against Kiwis, even if SA beat pak in last onedayers, i think Aus will still maintain the number one slo by beating the Kiwis before the WC.

Despite recent defeats, Australia remains firm fav's for WC.

Steulen

International Regular
Not so sure about that fav tag now. Their heavy workload may have bitten them firmly in the gluteals with injuries to key players (Symonds, Ponting), running McGrath into the ground and even Mr. Cricket is looking like he feels a bit of volleyball would be nice for a change.

I'm officially going Saffies from now on.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hogg is a good ODI spinner. I don't think there can be much question of that. And he's clearly the next best option to MacGill in Tests.

Regarding South Africa's mission at hand. They don't deserve the number spot until they beat Australia more consistently. They do have a pretty good record against Australia in ODIs, but Australia is still a superior team. South Africa has a bit to do to prove otherwise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Try taking out Bangladesh, Kenya and those four most recent games against Zimbabwe... makes quite a difference...

Then divide his record up into the 3 periods it does well when divided into...

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Try taking out Bangladesh, Kenya and that one game against Zimbabwe... makes quite a difference...
32podd average and 4.6odd economy rate. Still enough to be called "good" by ODI standards. Especially if Vettori deserves to be called a matchwinner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Enough to be called "not the worst who's ever played". Certainly not "good".

Not a patch on Vettori, absolutely certainly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, that wasn't the worst Zimbabwe side that he bowled against. Certainly did enough to send one through a very fine player of spin.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Enough to be called "not the worst who's ever played". Certainly not "good".

Not a patch on Vettori, absolutely certainly.
Hogg is clealry as good a spinner as Vettori. Vettori may be more economical, but he's a fingerspinner.

Take out Zimbabwe, Canada, Bangladesh and USA and Vettori averages 4 more than Hogg does against teams other than minnows. Really, how can you justify calling Vettori that good and not even calling Hogg "good"? Baffling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because ODIs are about economy, not wickets.

That's before you even think about the fact that Hogg's got an attack around him that, generally, just begs for him to get good figures, while Vettori often has precisely the opposite.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Because ODIs are about economy, not wickets.

That's before you even think about the fact that Hogg's got an attack around him that, generally, just begs for him to get good figures, while Vettori often has precisely the opposite.
ODIs are about both. It's safe to say that a wristspinner picked in an ODI side is picked for wickets more than economy. And an economy rate around 4.6 is hardly horrible for a wristspinner in ODI cricket. You're being extremely harsh on Hogg.