• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa can topple Australia at top of LG ICC ODI Championship for first time

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ODIs are about both. It's safe to say that a wristspinner picked in an ODI side is picked for wickets more than economy. And an economy rate around 4.6 is hardly horrible for a wristspinner in ODI cricket. You're being extremely harsh on Hogg.
Too much contextualisation. Bowlers are there for the same reason in ODIs - they're all supposed to be doing the same job.

I judge all by equal criteria.

Hogg does the required job less well than Vettori.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Comparison over the past few years was done recently between Hogg and Vettori in another thread. Even Fuller admitted that Vettori was the better performed.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Vettori may be more economical, but he's a fingerspinner.
Haha, so what?

Take out Zimbabwe, Canada, Bangladesh and USA and Vettori averages 4 more than Hogg does against teams other than minnows. Really, how can you justify calling Vettori that good and not even calling Hogg "good"? Baffling.
I rate them both. Recent posts have used stats to prove that both Hogg and Vettori have been economical and taking plenty of wickets in their last 80 games or so. I don't know about Hogg, but Vettori's 80 most recent games only included 6 matches vs Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, and the USA.

Comparison over the past few years was done recently between Hogg and Vettori in another thread. Even Fuller admitted that Vettori was the better performed.
I thought their recent(ish) stats showed they were quite similar - Vettori a slighly better economy rate, Hogg a slightly better average. Both very good though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I thought their recent(ish) stats showed they were quite similar - Vettori a slighly better economy rate, Hogg a slightly better average. Both very good though.
The main difference in their "recent" stats is that Vettori's economy rate goes from slightly to "much" better, and the gap in averages drops. Over their whole careers Hogg averages about 4 less with an economy rate .4 higher. Over the last 80 or so matches, Hogg averages more like 2 less with an economy rate .6 higher, and Vettori's average drops from over 30 to a more respectable 27 or so, while Hogg's is around 25.

Though actually, in the last couple of games since then, Hogg's average has inflated due to him conceding 100 odd in two games for no wickets, and Vettori's economy rate in the period has gone up to over 4.

Both fine ODI spinners, of course.

pup11

International Coach
If hogg wants to be economical he can bowl wrong'un down the leg sides of right handed bats and keep on bowling that negative line, but he tries to buy wickets by being attacking and Vettori on the other hand ties a batsman down[ with a consistent line and length which is hard to score of] and works on his patience to get a wicket.

Slow Love™

International Captain
First I've heard of it.
Seems a fair enough comment. Generally speaking, finger spinning tends to be easier to control, while wrist spinners are more likely to do more with the ball but can struggle in terms of accuracy.

Anyway, on the subject of the thread, the Saffies have certainly been in very good form in ODIs, and our three consecutive losses to lowly ranked England have obviously closed the gap somewhat. I expect us to retain the Chappell/Hadlee total, but there's a few having a rest, so you never know.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm expecting South Africa to win the next ODI against Pakistan and Australia will probably take out Chappell-Hadlee by 2-1 so I'm not too sure what that will do to the standings. It's great to see South Africa getting right up there though, a combination of great pace bowling with Ntini and Pollock, some good top order batting and an excellent fielding unit.

pup11

International Coach
Even if the south africans manage to get the no.1 spot[if aussies lose to the black caps] i don't think they even deserve it, i say this because there last 17 odi games have been at home [baring CT where also they won 2 games and lost 2 games]. They have beaten teams like india, zim,aus[3-2], and pakistan. Its a fact that sub-continent sides always struggle is south african conditions.