• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI rule changes

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
yellow against the aussie yellow kits would be the same situation.
Australia doesn't wear yellow anymore.
one simple need every team should have two set of jerseys......

its bad seeing SA VS PAK..... now AUS vs BAN even if few games

SL VS IND VS ENG hmmmmmmmm..we should have have more diff colours like in football hmmm
There's no need to have a marked difference between cricket team's uniforms because it's obvious which players are which. In the various football codes the players are usually mingled so it's essential to be able to tell them apart.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think there's too much wrong. There is that lull period in the game from 20-40 overs that needs to be looked at. Whether the fielding restrictions could be changed like the Asutralian state OD tournament. 2 outside the circle from 1-15, 3 from 16-30 and 5 from 31-50. Try to encourage shot making in the dull overs. This will also lead to more wickets as the batsmen chance their arms more.
The 15-30 rule is terrible. Kills spinners in OD cricket.
I've thought many times that such a rule is the worst possible idea.
Maybe they could also work on the ball itself. The white ball tends to turn into the same colour as the pitch at the 35-45 over mark. Have they tried orange or yellow. The ball also tends to swing only for a couple of overs and then stops.
Orange balls are vetoed by TV companies as they're incapable of getting non-monochrome monitors in the producer's truck. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I absolutely agree. Any fool can bowl bouncers. There's a reason why they don't though beyond the rules however, in that the bouncer is a risky delivery in that it provides a batsman with an opportunity to score a boundary. So it becomes a real test of skill and nerve to employ the bouncer in a manner that restricts, rather than promotes, scoring. But surely we want to give bowlers the opportunity to display that skill and nerve.

Why legislate an important aspect of one of the two main categories of cricket endeavour out of the sport? If a bowler bowls a bad bouncer they'll get punished, but if they have the skill, it can stop otherwise fine bowlers being used as fodder for show pony "shot-makers" who have no technique to deal with test match bowling but who feed on the bowlers being made to bowl in a predictable manner, ie. with one hand figuratively tied behind their back?

It would allow more variety in the entertainment provided by a bowler, and demand a higher level of skill from batsmen - how can that be a bad thing?
Interesting way of thinking of it.

I see far, far too many bad Bouncers either allowed to go by by the batsman or failed to be called wide by poor Umpires. While you also get the odd harsh call on high-Bouncers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Go back to basics. White clothing, no powerplays or anything, just straight 50 overs.
Said basics would also include 60-6-ball-overs or 40-8-ball-overs.

I don't really like the idea of an unrestricted field in a one-day game, though. The kit is neither here nor there, for me - they can wear whites or pyjamas or whatever they want.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
hmm this idea is stupid but still an idea- like power plays the bowling captain should be able pick from two different balls, a new one and a old one. so like the team could choose the old ball after 10 overs and than pick the new ball again later on. It could be like you could use the new ball for 20 overs(when ever you choose) and then you would have to use the old ball for 30 overs(whenever) just givng the bowling teams options....would still be the same as now because a new ball is new for about 20 overs but you could choose to use it for 10 over in the begining and that choose the old ball for say 10 overs and bring the new ball back...it would be like powerplays kind of but with the ball...
so that idea^ isn't working for anyone?

irfan

State Captain
Bit too complicated and lead to time delays with all these ball changes.

ODI cricket only has to be tinkered with a little bit.

1. PITCHES - make them with a bit more greenery for the bowlers. Fines for the ground association if they don't.
2. Loosen the one bouncer per over to two.
3. Legside wide line should moved maybe half a metre
4. As for the "dull" 20-40 over period if you don't like it then watch 20-20. I like that section of the game because changes happen slightly each over, each of which has a profound impact on the score at the end of the innings. As Jack said if you introduce more restrictions during this period then no teams will play attacking spinners.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
how would it be a delay? the umpire on field would have the two balls(old and new) and you would just change it at the end of the over(the over breaks)

irfan

State Captain
how would it be a delay? the umpire on field would have the two balls(old and new) and you would just change it at the end of the over(the over breaks)
I still don't see any need to change the ball unless its necessary (i.e. discoloration, hard to see, out of shape etc.) Changing the ball irregularly will have a detrimental effect on both bowlers and batters. Batsman won't be able to hit the slower, older ball and pacers wont find any swing. Batsman won't be able to hit as many runs with the field restrictions relaxed in the middle overs with the new swinging ball and spinners won't get any grip.

It's a no win situation, interesting idea perhaps but the real challenge in cricket is to adapt the changes off the ball just like how a pitch changes in a test match.

Nishant

International 12th Man
i, personally, am happy with ODI cricket! The powerplay rule has worked, and the supersub thing was rightfully scrapped! ODI cricket is as exciting as it should be and can be gd fun when the matches are between two good teams!

I guess, ODI cricket can never match test cricket in terms of battles between bowler and batsman, but there is no way of introducing this into ODI cricket, unless the pitches are made less 'batsman friendly'; but this creates low scoring games, or those with less excitement.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I still don't see any need to change the ball unless its necessary (i.e. discoloration, hard to see, out of shape etc.)
Trouble is, all those things do happen often, and therefore regular ball-changes are neccessary.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The ball is always changed. Maybe the bowling side gets another new ball after 25 overs. This would give the bowlers more advantage. They've lost heaps with flat pitches and bat technology.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
The ball is always changed. Maybe the bowling side gets another new ball after 25 overs. This would give the bowlers more advantage. They've lost heaps with flat pitches and bat technology.
They used to have two balls per innings about 13-14 years ago. Ironically they canned that idea because it resulted in too many low scoring games.

I believe it was a new ball at each end, right from the start, rather than a new ball after 25 overs.

irfan

State Captain
The problem with getting a new ball after every 25 overs is that it pretty much eradicates spinners out of ODI cricket. Sure they may get a little extra bounce, but there will be less grip and turn which is essential for an attacking spinner.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah, I feel that spinners have probably had it the worst in this new era of agressive batting. At best you're getting miled around for singles every over, and at worst your gettng hit out of the ground on a regular basis. There needs to be more spin friendly pitches in ODI, but I can't see how you could bring that about unless there was some sort of incentive.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Its a pity, and quite surprising, that the world's manufacturers can't produce a white ball that lasts for 50 overs without falling to pieces or turning brown.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I don't think it's surprising at all.

White balls have many merits but the inevitability of discolouring is one drawback.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I feel that spinners have probably had it the worst in this new era of agressive batting. At best you're getting miled around for singles every over, and at worst your gettng hit out of the ground on a regular basis. There needs to be more spin friendly pitches in ODI, but I can't see how you could bring that about unless there was some sort of incentive.
Good spinners (the Harbhajans, Dharmasenas and Vettoris) can still bowl economically with a decent field-set and being used at the right time (ie not in the Powerplays and not in the last 10).