Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colllingwood - One of the best ODI hundreds ever ?

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Colllingwood - One of the best ODI hundreds ever ?

Ok people, I'll be blunt:

Colly's hundred in the first Commonwealth Bank series final on Friday night IMO was one of the best hundreds in ODIS that I have seen.

I mean he virtually single handedly (with all due respect to Bell and Freddy) took what was seen as a team of no-hopers from 3-15 in a final against a strong bowling attack on their patch to victory (chasing 250+ under lights)

Would rank right up there with Waugh's hundred at Headingley in WC 99 for mine.

WHo agrees ?
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

i agree collingwoods ton was outstanding and given the conditions he got it in it was one of the best

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Not seen many better from an Englishman. Er, not seen many from an Englishman period. Obviously the Richards 189* stands tall above much else, but Colly's effort has to be right up there.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    I raised this point in the sticky thread... Consider the facts though. Given the team he was playing, The worlds best, undoubtably, and seemingly invinceable for a long time. He knocks them for 120. Batting in Melbourne, so boundaires are not easy, thus making scoring alot harder... maybe an additional 16-24 runs on any other pitch. He took 60 singles, and 10 twos, displaying incredible fitness for almost all of the innings. Hit a 100 in the last game, and its rare to hit another in the following game, hell, its the hardest thing to do in ODI cricket. He came in at a time when England had no hope of getting anywhere near 250 (We were 15-3). He stuck in there, and grinded out a score. Could have gone in their, thinking I need to up the rate, and fast. He took it steady, got himself in, and built on it well (Ok, had a fair amount of luck, but thats how it is). PLayed with an optimistic, and proffesional attitude aswell, never let his head drop and got what he deserved. There is a lot more I could talk about, please feel free to add, it just isnt fresh on my mind at the minute. I would say from a personal perspective, that I have never seen a greater innings. Obviously heard about the 170's and 180's, but never been lucky enough to witness it live. It was one of the greatest ODI tons of all time, a better question would be, how close to being the best ODI ton is it? Top five? Has to be top 10, surely? I would stick my neck out, based on everything I know about cricket, the 5th best ever seen. Fact.
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Thread from 2005 on the Best ODI innings ever here. First two pages are good and then it gets silly.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quite how Collingwood played an innings that good is beyond me, really. It truly was about as good an innings as you could wish to see. Michael Bevan played 1 or 2 similar knocks in his time (the Richards-189* case is about as comparable as Graham Gooch's 155* is to something on a sticky by Victor Trumper), but other than that there aren't many that stand-out to me in the modern ODI era. There must have been a few, though.

As for comparing to Waugh's Headingley knock: Collingwood was dropped on the easiest chance you could wish for, was he? Get real, it was way better than anything Waugh ever played in his ODI career. Waugh wasn't that good a ODI player.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Thread from 2005 on the Best ODI innings ever here. First two pages are good and then it gets silly.
    I'd say it gets pretty silly before the end of the first page - as soon as Sanz comes in and makes that stupid post on why everyone supposedly writes-off every innings played by a subcontinental batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'd say it gets pretty silly before the end of the first page - as soon as Sanz comes in and makes that stupid post on why everyone supposedly writes-off every innings played by a subcontinental batsman.
    All depends on your posts-per-page settings! That's the tipping point no doubt.

Not seen many better from an Englishman. Er, not seen many from an Englishman period.
    This one by Andrew Flintoff is right up there IMO. I honestly can't think of anything else - good as Knight, Hick and Fairbrother were, none of them had an innings in this sort of situation.

All depends on your posts-per-page settings! That's the tipping point no doubt.
    Oh, yes, I always forget that differs. I have 40-per-page.

Generally better, for that reason, I find it better to state post-number rather than "page", that-un's caused me problems before.

Do you guys understand the meaning of 'Best Ever' ? And Neil you shouldn't be calling other's posts 'silly' esp. after you yourself post stuff like this :-

Last edited by Sanz; 10-02-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I wasn't talking about everyone, but only about Swervy's post, which you are too stupid to notice that. He has a habit of doing that and I am not the only member from sub-continent to point that out.

Here an English man has made a match winning century and it is being touted as best ever yet you and your buddy Neil will be the first of the Englishmen to stop Indian members if they started such a thread after an MS Dhoni Century.

And Guess what..I wasn't wrong. Here is Mr.-Harmison-is-the greatest-Neil-Pickup with his expert opinion.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni is spectacular!

not the best but certainly up there...a good one

It was a great ton and would be up there say in the top 15 ever but wasn't the best. He worked really hard and came in at a real crucial stage which made it a great ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Do you guys understand the meaning of 'Best Ever' ? And Neil you shouldn't be calling other's posts 'silly' esp. after you yourself post stuff like this :-

Feel free to name the better innings by an Englishman.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information