• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Colllingwood - One of the best ODI hundreds ever ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Ok people, I'll be blunt:

Colly's hundred in the first Commonwealth Bank series final on Friday night IMO was one of the best hundreds in ODIS that I have seen.

I mean he virtually single handedly (with all due respect to Bell and Freddy) took what was seen as a team of no-hopers from 3-15 in a final against a strong bowling attack on their patch to victory (chasing 250+ under lights)

Would rank right up there with Waugh's hundred at Headingley in WC 99 for mine.

WHo agrees ?

jammay123

State 12th Man
i agree collingwoods ton was outstanding and given the conditions he got it in it was one of the best

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Not seen many better from an Englishman. Er, not seen many from an Englishman period. Obviously the Richards 189* stands tall above much else, but Colly's effort has to be right up there.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I raised this point in the sticky thread... Consider the facts though. Given the team he was playing, The worlds best, undoubtably, and seemingly invinceable for a long time. He knocks them for 120. Batting in Melbourne, so boundaires are not easy, thus making scoring alot harder... maybe an additional 16-24 runs on any other pitch. He took 60 singles, and 10 twos, displaying incredible fitness for almost all of the innings. Hit a 100 in the last game, and its rare to hit another in the following game, hell, its the hardest thing to do in ODI cricket. He came in at a time when England had no hope of getting anywhere near 250 (We were 15-3). He stuck in there, and grinded out a score. Could have gone in their, thinking I need to up the rate, and fast. He took it steady, got himself in, and built on it well (Ok, had a fair amount of luck, but thats how it is). PLayed with an optimistic, and proffesional attitude aswell, never let his head drop and got what he deserved. There is a lot more I could talk about, please feel free to add, it just isnt fresh on my mind at the minute. I would say from a personal perspective, that I have never seen a greater innings. Obviously heard about the 170's and 180's, but never been lucky enough to witness it live. It was one of the greatest ODI tons of all time, a better question would be, how close to being the best ODI ton is it? Top five? Has to be top 10, surely? I would stick my neck out, based on everything I know about cricket, the 5th best ever seen. Fact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Quite how Collingwood played an innings that good is beyond me, really. It truly was about as good an innings as you could wish to see. Michael Bevan played 1 or 2 similar knocks in his time (the Richards-189* case is about as comparable as Graham Gooch's 155* is to something on a sticky by Victor Trumper), but other than that there aren't many that stand-out to me in the modern ODI era. There must have been a few, though.

As for comparing to Waugh's Headingley knock: Collingwood was dropped on the easiest chance you could wish for, was he? Get real, it was way better than anything Waugh ever played in his ODI career. Waugh wasn't that good a ODI player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thread from 2005 on the Best ODI innings ever here. First two pages are good and then it gets silly.
I'd say it gets pretty silly before the end of the first page - as soon as Sanz comes in and makes that stupid post on why everyone supposedly writes-off every innings played by a subcontinental batsman.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd say it gets pretty silly before the end of the first page - as soon as Sanz comes in and makes that stupid post on why everyone supposedly writes-off every innings played by a subcontinental batsman.
All depends on your posts-per-page settings! That's the tipping point no doubt.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not seen many better from an Englishman. Er, not seen many from an Englishman period.
This one by Andrew Flintoff is right up there IMO. I honestly can't think of anything else - good as Knight, Hick and Fairbrother were, none of them had an innings in this sort of situation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All depends on your posts-per-page settings! That's the tipping point no doubt.
Oh, yes, I always forget that differs. I have 40-per-page.

Generally better, for that reason, I find it better to state post-number rather than "page", that-un's caused me problems before.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I wasn't talking about everyone, but only about Swervy's post, which you are too stupid to notice that. He has a habit of doing that and I am not the only member from sub-continent to point that out.

Here an English man has made a match winning century and it is being touted as best ever yet you and your buddy Neil will be the first of the Englishmen to stop Indian members if they started such a thread after an MS Dhoni Century.

And Guess what..I wasn't wrong. Here is Mr.-Harmison-is-the greatest-Neil-Pickup with his expert opinion.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15707&highlight=Dhoni

luffy

International Captain
It was a great ton and would be up there say in the top 15 ever but wasn't the best. He worked really hard and came in at a real crucial stage which made it a great ton.

PY

International Coach
This one by Andrew Flintoff is right up there IMO. I honestly can't think of anything else - good as Knight, Hick and Fairbrother were, none of them had an innings in this sort of situation.
That was one of the funniest moments I've seen in cricket.

Flintoff was given a Mini-style car as a MOTM price which he couldn't get into. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wasn't talking about everyone, but only about Swervy's post, which you are too stupid to notice that. He has a habit of doing that and I am not the only member from sub-continent to point that out.

Here an English man has made a match winning century and it is being touted as best ever yet you and your buddy Neil will be the first of the Englishmen to stop Indian members if they started such a thread after an MS Dhoni Century.
I :laugh: at the way you keep describing people as "your friend" who I frequently disagree with on here (first Kev, now Neil). No-one has ever called Collingwood's innings "THE best ever", just "ONE OF the best BY AN ENGLISHMAN".

Lots of people, according to you, have a habit of anti-subcontinental prejudice.
And Guess what..I wasn't wrong. Here is Mr.-Harmison-is-the greatest-Neil-Pickup with his expert opinion.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15707&highlight=Dhoni
I haven't a clue what that pertains to because you haven't linked to a post.

Beleg

International Regular
Hmm, I didn't watch the innings so I can't comment.

The best hundred I saw was by Inzamam against India at Karachi during the 04 series.
Brian Lara's two Sharjah mammoth's were also amazing.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Feel free to name the better innings by an Englishman.
Did the thread initiator talk about Cnturies by Englishmen only ?

Anyways Did you watch KP's inning against australia in summer 2005 ? At some point England needed to score @7-8 runs an over with 6 batsmen back in pavilion ?