• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best left arm seamer?

Who is the best left arm seamer currently playing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So, let's have another poll and yet another discussion on "the best of X category". :mellow:

Basically, rate and discuss the left arm seamers. What they've done and how they may go in the future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In ODIs - Ian Bradshaw or Nathan Bracken.

In Tests - Chaminda Vaas, likewise.

So no vote for me. :)

Last edited:

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Chaminda Vass without a doubt. He's no Wasim Akram but he is one of the best bowlers in the world and a long way ahead of any other left armer since Akrams retirement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Forgot Bracken. Bracken has only been a side-member for a season-and-a-half though. And his ER has gone up in that time.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hate to vote against Chaminda, but he's not a young man anymore. Bracken has taken his bowling to another level in the last 12 months and would be playing test cricket for any other team in the world, even England with their current injury concerns.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing is not everyone expects the conditions to be suitable for the batsmen. That is why we see a lot of youngsters not using the power plays to their advantage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hate to vote against Chaminda, but he's not a young man anymore. Bracken has taken his bowling to another level in the last 12 months and would be playing test cricket for any other team in the world, even England with their current injury concerns.
You reckon lots of teams (South Africa...? :blink:) would take a guy with a Test average in the 50s?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The thing is not everyone expects the conditions to be suitable for the batsmen. That is why we see a lot of youngsters not using the power plays to their advantage.
Wrong thread?

Can't see that that's a reply to anything said in this thread, less still the post above it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You reckon lots of teams (South Africa...? :blink:) would take a guy with a Test average in the 50s?
To be fair, he has improved his bowling quite a bit since his last test. I still don't think he'd make the South African or English teams though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To suggest he'd be selected ahead of Munaf, Sreesanth and Zaheer Khan is stretching it a bit.

And as for Shoaib, Asif, Shabbir, Gul and Shahid Nazir... (and don't forget those mighty bowlers Rana Naved-Ul-Hasan, Rao Iftikhar Anjum and even... wait for it... Mohammad Sami...)

IMO the only Test sides you could make a case for Bracken having a chance of being a pick for are SL and WI. Maybe NZ, but only maybe, as Bond and Franklin are certainties and I don't see that he's any better or worse than Chris Martin or Kyle Mills, who currently seem to be next cabs-off-the-rank. And that's before you even think about the fact that Daryl Tuffey surely has to come back sometime...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To suggest he'd be selected ahead of Munaf, Sreesanth and Zaheer Khan is stretching it a bit.

And as for Shoaib, Asif, Shabbir, Gul and Shahid Nazir... (and don't forget those mighty bowlers Rana Naved-Ul-Hasan, Rao Iftikhar Anjum and even... wait for it... Mohammad Sami...)

IMO the only Test sides you could make a case for Bracken having a chance of being a pick for are SL and WI. Maybe NZ, but only maybe, as Bond and Franklin are certainties and I don't see that he's any better or worse than Chris Martin or Kyle Mills, who currently seem to be next cabs-off-the-rank. And that's before you even think about the fact that Daryl Tuffey surely has to come back sometime...
Well he certainly wouldn't make the Pakistan side if they were at full strength. I think he'd make the NZ side - he's a better bowler than Martin and Mills IMO. He has improved out of sight since the early days of his test career.

He's better than Munaf also IMO, so he'd make the India side.

Also Richard, does your first chance average work for bowlers as well? I recall Bracken having about 5 catches dropped off his bowling in a test early in his career against India.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he certainly wouldn't make the Pakistan side if they were at full strength. I think he'd make the NZ side - he's a better bowler than Martin and Mills IMO. He has improved out of sight since the early days of his test career.

He's better than Munaf also IMO, so he'd make the India side.

Also Richard, does your first chance average work for bowlers as well? I recall Bracken having about 5 catches dropped off his bowling in a test early in his career against India.
Well... it "works" if someone makes it up. :) Statistics don't "work", they're just... there... if someone compiles them!

You could quite easily do such thing for bowlers (wouldn't be a first-chance average where they're concerned, though - more an all-chance bowling-average) and would IMO have some merit. If there's no difference as far as a batsman's concerned, there's certainly none for a bowler either.

But as for Munaf... :no2: No way. Munaf is a serious bowler, he's looked The Biz every time he's stepped onto a Test field (except, obviously, the half-fit-at-best most recent game, which was something of an embarrassment to all concerned - even Vikram Rajvir Singh would have been a far better choice). Bracken hasn't.