• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best left arm seamer?

Who is the best left arm seamer currently playing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thierry henry

International Coach
Who would NZ drop to have Bracken in the test team?

Shane Bond- 74 wickes at 22
James Franklin- 76 wickets at 28
Chris Martin- 106 wickets at 34
(Oram, Styris, Vettori etc also to bowl)

Optional
Kyle Mills- 17 wickets at 31
Daryl Tuffey- 66 wickets at 31

vs Bracken- 12 wickets at 42

It's not just that Bracken struggled, but that all of the NZ options have useful records, and most of them have had their figures hurt by having to play against Australia as well!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Who would NZ drop to have Bracken in the test team?

Shane Bond- 74 wickes at 22
James Franklin- 76 wickets at 28
Chris Martin- 106 wickets at 34
(Oram, Styris, Vettori etc also to bowl)

Optional
Kyle Mills- 17 wickets at 31
Daryl Tuffey- 66 wickets at 31

vs Bracken- 12 wickets at 42

It's not just that Bracken struggled, but that all of the NZ options have useful records, and most of them have had their figures hurt by having to play against Australia as well!
I'd drop Martin to be honest. Bracken has really improved his bowling of late.

thierry henry

International Coach
Only until Tuffey is back to top form imo :cool:

nah, obviously Bracken has perfected his ODI bowling, but it's really anyone's guess how well he'd go in tests. I think the fairest thing to say atm is that if you were listing the best test bowlers, you'd have all those NZ guys above Bracken atm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Only until Tuffey is back to top form imo :cool:

nah, obviously Bracken has perfected his ODI bowling, but it's really anyone's guess how well he'd go in tests. I think the fairest thing to say atm is that if you were listing the best test bowlers, you'd have all those NZ guys above Bracken atm.
Well, if you're talking about proven records, then yeah, because Bracken's is dire. But he has improved his bowling in general since he last had a go in the test arena. I'm not one to mix the two forms as many here are, but I'm pretty confident that Bracken would do a better job in a test series than Martin these days, even if his record suggests otherwise. A fully-fit Tuffey is another story altogether though...

Matt79

Global Moderator
You can't mix the two forms, but you can notice that Bracken's one day bowling has improved markedly, displaying a greater variety in his deliveries, and a better understanding of his abilities. Those things would only help him with the red ball.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You can't mix the two forms, but you can notice that Bracken's one day bowling has improved markedly, displaying a greater variety in his deliveries, and a better understanding of his abilities. Those things would only help him with the red ball.
Maybe. I think Bracken would benefit at test level from a captain having faith in him and knowing what fields to set. Which may happen now, since Ponting won't have McGrath or Warne to turn to to 'make things happen'.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now that I think about it, I'm actually reasonably tempted to vote for Zaheer Khan. He has improved dramatically as of late and has been performing really well for India.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not that he'd get my vote for either form of the game at this stage, but I think Zaheer Khan has looked a completely different bowler since his reinstatement. He has really led the Indian pace attack and led it well recently IMO. Obviously a couple of series isn't a particularly good measure though so it'll be interesting to see how he goes.
Just took his first ever ODI 5-fer, so he's definitely on the improve.

pasag

RTDAS
David Cross (Tobias from Arrested Development) does a brilliant stand-up routine on the liberal use of the word 'literally', especially in sport. Funniest thing if anyone can find it on the net.

Last edited: