View Poll Results: Should Stephen Fleming be sacked as captain?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 8.11%
  • No

34 91.89%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sack Fleming says Parore

Sack Fleming says Parore

Adam Parore: Fleming should step down in favour of Vettori

Interesting to hear Adam Parore's thoughts, and he makes some good points. Especially this:

New Zealand's overall win record in ODIs is about 45 per cent, while the winning ratio under his leadership is about 47 per cent. So he's only a whisker better than average.

Even Martin Crowe managed 49 per cent from his 44 games and he had some pretty ordinary players to work with. Fleming has had the cream of the crop in terms of talent.
    Judging by this, what could Martin Crowe have done with today's team?
    Last edited by James; 09-02-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Provided it with an additional world class batsman for a start - Crowe's team had Crowe in it! Bit of an overreaction surely for failing in one ODI series, given how long Fleming has been held to be one of the best captains going around...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

I suppose what Parore is getting at is with the record that Fleming has and the players he's had to choose from, he still has a worse record than Crowe. And with that in mind, how can he be considered one of the best captains?

did Crowe have Hadlee?

If Fleming had Bond available more often, Parore might have a point, but I think he's being a bit harsh.

As far as I know, no he didn't. Hadlee played his last matche in 1990, and I believe Crowe wasn't made captain until the following year.

The best bowler of Crowe's time as captain was probably Danny Morrison which says something....

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Personally I always think such win-percentages are pretty dubious ways to judge a captain.

What matters is: is there substantial evidence to suggest that Daniel Vettori (or someone) would be a better captain - now (irrelevant to what's happened in the past) than Stephen Fleming?

Unless the answer's yes, I don't see how you can justify calling for Fleming's head.

And there are hundreds of ways better to judge a captain than results.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    As far as I know, no he didn't. Hadlee played his last matche in 1990, and I believe Crowe wasn't made captain until the following year.

The best bowler of Crowe's time as captain was probably Danny Morrison which says something....
    There you go - I was under the mistaken impression that Crowe was captain a fair bit earlier than that...

Personally, I know it's an easy excuse, but I'd blame Bracewell. He's had a much tighter rein on the team than when, say, Aberhart was in charge. Back at that stage, Fleming seemed to have a lot more control over the side, tactics and even his demeanour towards the media was a lot less cluttered. I don't want to see Fleming dropped.

And James, who do you think should take over? Considering you don't think Vettori is worthy of a spot in the ODI team...

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Unsurprisingly, my take on this is that I'd like to see Vettori kept away from the captaincy so that he can be dropped whenever the selectors wake up to themselves about how useless he is, especially in tests

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Fleming to stay captain until whenever he feels is the right time for him to retire, IMO.

Fulton to be next captain?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Fleming to stay captain until whenever he feels is the right time for him to retire, IMO.

Fulton to be next captain?
    As ignorant as it may sound, has Fulton ever captained before for Canterbury?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    Unsurprisingly, my take on this is that I'd like to see Vettori kept away from the captaincy so that he can be dropped whenever the selectors wake up to themselves about how useless he is, especially in tests
    Well he did pick up ten wickets in his last Test, so it isn't that useless.

And he has as much chance of being dropped as there is of Michael Hussey being dropped from the Australian team.

Banned
    Nah Vettori has to be the next captain and has a good record and his guareenteed to be in the team. He has also been one of the World's best bowling allrounders over the last few years some might question his batting but http://cricketweb.net/statsspider/pl...460-Test-5.php shows that he can bat.

Some might question his captaincy qualificiations but as far as Im concerned he has learnt for many years off Fleming and will take over once he retires

No, you would question his bowling. Probing questions such as "why do you concede that many runs?", and "why don't you take wickets?".

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information