• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sack Fleming says Parore

Should Stephen Fleming be sacked as captain?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 91.9%

• Total voters

Fiery

Banned
Calls to axe Fleming are only slightly less ridiculous as calls that Vettori is "useless". Adam Parore has probably got some axe to grind or personal vendetta from his playing days. I've met him and conversed a few times at parties and he's a bit of a dick

nate-d

Cricket Spectator
Fleming

No way, Fleming should remain. To be honest it doesn't matter who they elect captain, e.g, Vettori, it all comes down to the players to do their individual part, e.g, better batting, take the example of Collingwood and Bell in the first final against Australia. And sharpening up in the field, like Collingwood.

Also, New Zealand should play Chris Harris, even though he's getting old, Chris Harris is an experienced campaigner and will offer Fleming support (in decision making) and in the fielding and bowling options. They should play him in the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy and to the World Cup. I know its only a short fix.

Fiery

Banned
Also, New Zealand should play Chris Harris, even though he's getting old, Chris Harris is an experienced campaigner and will offer Fleming support (in decision making) and in the fielding and bowling options. They should play him in the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy and to the World Cup. I know its only a short fix.
You are the voice of reason nate-d. Totally agree. Harry should go to the cup. No doubt in my mind whatsoever.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
No way, Fleming should remain. To be honest it doesn't matter who they elect captain, e.g, Vettori, it all comes down to the players to do their individual part, e.g, better batting, take the example of Collingwood and Bell in the first final against Australia. And sharpening up in the field, like Collingwood.

No no no. Chris Harris should not play against Australia or be anywhere near the world cup final squad. When was the last time he played at international level? Even if he plays, where is he going to bat? Our middle order and lower orders are packed. Harris would be a step backwards. There is no place in the team for him. You could, in fact, say Harris is a poor man's Styris.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Calls to axe Fleming are only slightly less ridiculous as calls that Vettori is "useless". Adam Parore has probably got some axe to grind or personal vendetta from his playing days. I've met him and conversed a few times at parties and he's a bit of a dick
Even though I think Parore's constant "McCullum should open in ODIs" statements are one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, I definitely agree with him on this. Who cares if he was "a bit a of a dick"? Why should that influence a cricket argument?

The fact is that Fleming has been leading us for years. It's time for a chance, because the team obviously isn't moving forward. The signs are there: we do have some talent in the squad, we do have our moments, but we continue to lose games we should win.

Fleming might make the odd brilliant change in the field that get us wickets, but we're not winning games. As Parore points out, Fleming's win:loss ratio is about New Zealand's all time ratio. Again, I'll repeat this:

We are not winning games, and we are not getting any better under Fleming's captaincy.

Would any other country keep a captain with a 47% win ratio? That's a losing ratio, for those at home who couldn't work that out. Granted, it's not completely Fleming's fault we're losing games (unless it's our last game against England, where it was his fault without a doubt), but we aren't even improving as a team.

A captain leads from the front; NZ have had a captain that isn't capable of doing that for some time now. We need a stronger leader.

Craig

World Traveller
Wait until Bracewell goes after the World Cup, and depending on the coach, then go from there.

From the articles I have read Richard Brock is quite a good cricket writer, how does he compare to other New Zealand cricketing scribes (not forgetting a certain Kiwi poster)?

Fiery

Banned
Wait until Bracewell goes after the World Cup, and depending on the coach, then go from there.

From the articles I have read Richard Brock is quite a good cricket writer, how does he compare to other New Zealand cricketing scribes (not forgetting a certain Kiwi poster)?
Who's that?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm the sports and racing reporter at the daily paper in my current town of residence...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's been there for eons and it doesnt matter how good u are, after a while the message is bound to fall on deaf ears because the players have heard it all before
That's absolute nonsense.

It disregards the facts that:
a) good captains are adaptible, they change with the game. Same applies to good coaches\managers.
b) the players do change, too, y'know, so even if Roger Twose got sick of hearing something it might do The World of good to Ross Taylor.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, get rid of Fleming as captain. I've been saying this for some time now:

If Fleming hasn't given us everything as captain by now, then he never will. It will also free him up to concentrate on his batting until he retires.
Why can't giving something as captain be continuous?

Why can't you give something different (and, hell, even the same thing over and again) series after series?