• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus loses when they bat first.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not saying one outnumbers the other - I haven't been keeping exact count.

All I was saying is that a 270-plus score almost always used to be "forget it". It ain't no more. Even 434 isn't.

shortpitched713

International Captain
All I was saying is that a 270-plus score almost always used to be "forget it".
When exactly was this the case? I know that anything over 250 used to be considered a good score, but I can't remember teams giving up on 270 run chases. :huh:

And of course its going to be the case when more runs are scored that higher totals are chased down. I'd say though that 9 times out of ten a team isn't gong to chase down a 350 total however flat a pitch might be. The Wanderers match was an insane one in a million anomaly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not giving-up as in not trying, but before about 2001 the chances of chasing-down 270 were miniscule. Do it and it was wow-we've-really-achieved-something-there material.

I thought the SA-Aus game was an insane 1-in-a-million game when it happened, too. A year down the line, I'm suddenly less sure.