• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paul Nixon

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How'd'you know they talk ****? How'd'you know what it feels like for them?! :wacko:

It mightn't be anything of the sort for you, but why on Earth did you make said bet if it was such a horror to have to do what you said you'd do?

And I might add - what's so utterly terrible about having one of the greatest and most charismatic frontmen rock has ever produced as an avatar? If it's solely from the homosexual POV, I presume I don't need to remind you that you could've done far, far worse than that (Pete Burns, Boy George, Andy Bell, Sylvester, Jimmy Somerville, pretty much anyone from Village People). Indeed, many of the greatest pop-musicians of our time have been gay - Elton John, George Michael, Farrokh himself, David Bowie (though of course that's a moot-point). To most people - at least of my generation - homosexuality is the last thing that comes to mind with such characters.
A few points there: firstly any gambler who says they enjoy losing is either lying, mad or desperately unsuccessful. It's the same with sportsmen; losing is something you strive to avoid. & if a sportsman got kicked in the knackers I could say with some degree of surety that it would hurt; same with gamblers losing a wedge.

Secondly, I wasn't being enitrely serious. & I thought I'd win or wouldn't have made the bet.

& thirdly, what the ****? You've basically accused me of being homophobic. Some of my favourite musicians are gay. Aside from Bowie most of the ones you list are toilet, but Morrissey, Michael Stipe, Lou Reed, Mark Eitzel, Bob Mould, Grant Hart, Dave Davies & Kele Okereke are all at least rumoured to be gay (for legal purposes I'd better say that these rumours may be entirely untrue). It's absolutely nothing to do with Freddie having been on the other bus; it's because I don't like Queen. I can't even see where you'd get that from, it's not like Queen particularly come from a gay sensibility anyway. Their fans are almost exclusively white heterosexuals with cloth-ears.

PY

International Coach
I did think it was a bit obscure from Richard. Never any inkling of homophobia that I've seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A few points there: firstly any gambler who says they enjoy losing is either lying, mad or desperately unsuccessful. It's the same with sportsmen; losing is something you strive to avoid. & if a sportsman got kicked in the knackers I could say with some degree of surety that it would hurt; same with gamblers losing a wedge.

Secondly, I wasn't being enitrely serious. & I thought I'd win or wouldn't have made the bet.
I wasn't meaning losing is a thrill; I was meaning the possiblity of losing is a thrill. If you were a "gambler" and you knew you were going to win all the time there'd be no thrill.
& thirdly, what the ****? You've basically accused me of being homophobic. Some of my favourite musicians are gay. Aside from Bowie most of the ones you list are toilet, but Morrissey, Michael Stipe, Lou Reed, Mark Eitzel, Bob Mould, Grant Hart, Dave Davies & Kele Okereke are all at least rumoured to be gay (for legal purposes I'd better say that these rumours may be entirely untrue). It's absolutely nothing to do with Freddie having been on the other bus; it's because I don't like Queen. I can't even see where you'd get that from, it's not like Queen particularly come from a gay sensibility anyway. Their fans are almost exclusively white heterosexuals with cloth-ears.
Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of homophibia, that certainly wasn't my intention. Seriously, tho - I'm the most anti-homophobic person you'll ever see, but there's no way I'd have Pete Burns or whoever as an avatar, because I don't particularly want to suggest that I'm gay.

That was all I meant.

Sorry if you don't like Queen, but I'd say their general aura - even if only, a la Take That, as an undercurrant - is very much a homosexual one. Not, of course, that all their songs are such.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of homophibia, that certainly wasn't my intention. Seriously, tho - I'm the most anti-homophobic person you'll ever see, but there's no way I'd have Pete Burns or whoever as an avatar, because I don't particularly want to suggest that I'm gay.

That was all I meant.

Sorry if you don't like Queen, but I'd say their general aura - even if only, a la Take That, as an undercurrant - is very much a homosexual one. Not, of course, that all their songs are such.
Well I've had Morrissey & Mark Eitzel (by my own volition, unlike Mr Mercury) as mine previously & I don't think they would make anyone assume that I'm gay. Moreover I couldn't give an arse if they did.

Luckily I'm not one to take offense (often...), but you should be careful what you accuse people of.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bizarre that people imagine having a homosexual in your avatar will make people assume you're gay. I've got an American in my avatar...

deeps

International 12th Man
u kno, initially i thought he was useless. Upon further watching of him, i think he's good for the England team.

The aura he presents, the confidence he has, is very good for them.

Not convinced about his batting, but his glovework... Very very solid. Best i've seen from an English keeper for a while now

Slow Love™

International Captain
Seriously, tho - I'm the most anti-homophobic person you'll ever see, but there's no way I'd have Pete Burns or whoever as an avatar, because I don't particularly want to suggest that I'm gay.
Haha, not sure about that claim, Richard. I think your concern about being perceived as gay might set you back around the middle of the pack, TBH.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, not sure about that claim, Richard. I think your concern about being perceived as gay might set you back around the middle of the pack, TBH.
Was that middle of the pack or middle of the crack? It's late here and I can't read too well...